Fitbit horror!!

Options
Hello

I've just purchased a fitbit charge hr today. Ive synced it to mfp and enabled calorie adjustment. But since then I'm having problems.

At first it didn't show any calories plus or minus. Then On the fitbit app, I added the mobile tracker to it thinking that its connecting my phone to it. And then it, let alone showing any of the calories earned from fitbit, it minused the burned amount of calories twice.

I'm going crazy. Please help me. And I apologise for my poor explanation. I'm literally confused.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    The first day is always way off. It takes it a couple of weeks to get to know you. Just eat what you'd usually eat in MFP, and join the Fitbit users group to learn more.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm confused too lol

Have you checked out our fitbit group? They also have a great FAQ section, with a lot of trouble shooting advice.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Thanyou both!!!!

I thought I had joined the group. :|

Do you think I should stick with it or return it. Is it a common thing to happen.
  • fidangul
    Options
    For every step I'm taking fitbit is continually deducting calories :#
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It just takes a little time for it to get to know you. The first few days just aim for the calorie goal you have been used to eating until it has some time to adjust to your particular rhythms.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    Thanyou both!!!!

I thought I had joined the group. :|

Do you think I should stick with it or return it. Is it a common thing to happen.

Your first day with a new technology is confusing, so you want to return it?

In my opinion, check out the group, read up on how it works and how you can use it. Give yourself some time to adapt to using it, and learn about it's features. Maybe unlink if from MFP for a week or so, until you adapt.

I have the Zip, and have it linked here. Log all my exercise through FitBit, and all my food through here. It is working really well. But it took some time to figure out what I was doing with it.

You can do it! Read about it and tinker.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and think it's awesome! It took about two weeks to get to know me, and it was well worth the wait.

So much lovely data!
  • fidangul
    Options
    So this is normal is what I'm understanding from the posts????
  • Orphia
    Options
    Yes, this is normal. The second day will be a lot more accurate, but the first day is crazy.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    There's a whole bunch of really good info in the Fitbit group :) Sometimes syncing is a little wonky. You really need to read the big FAQ post to have a good understanding of what's going on. Read the first two posts twice and you should have a much better understanding.

This is the post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

The first day is going to be all out of whack because your Fitbit tracks things in 24-hour chunks starting at midnight. So, unless you activated your tracker around midnight, it will give you a bogus burn and step count for today.

Give it a month to get to know you. Read that FAQ post. It should get quite a bit better.

~Lyssa
  • fidangul
    Options
    Thankyou all so so so much. As you can tell I'm no good with technology. I'll be reading up on it a little more and fingers crossed it turns out alright.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Thankyou all so so so much. As you can tell I'm no good with technology. I'll be reading up on it a little more and fingers crossed it turns out alright.

Yup, do some reading. Give it a few weeks before you decide to give up. I love my FitBit. Awesome additional tool :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Yup, do some reading. Give it a few weeks before you decide to give up. I love my FitBit. Awesome additional tool :smile:

Yep, I'd be lost without my fitbit! Best $80 I ever spent. I'm walking as I'm typing this :tongue:

• nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Yep, I'd be lost without my fitbit! Best $80 I ever spent. I'm walking as I'm typing this :tongue:

As long as you aren't walking in traffic! :wink:
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I've had mine since april and i dont feel my fitbit has taken the time to get tot know me at all..sniff.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You can disable the calorie changing in settings I believe.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a while. Best investment I've made. Took a few days to really get it to know me and me to know how to work it. I use the Fitbit app for weight and exercise and mfp for foods. I also have the charge. Don't get discouraged it's only your first day and honestly, if you get discouraged that quickly you aren't going to get anywhere. Good luck and make sure to check out the group!
  • fidangul
    Options
    I purchased a fitbit thinking it'll motivate me through the last part of my weightloss and then to keep me on track whilst maintaining. But my first day hasn't gone down well. I woke up this morning with a huge minus number on mfp. I'm not quite sure what's going. However, on the fitbit app it is giving me extra calories burned.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I purchased a fitbit thinking it'll motivate me through the last part of my weightloss and then to keep me on track whilst maintaining. But my first day hasn't gone down well. I woke up this morning with a huge minus number on mfp. I'm not quite sure what's going. However, on the fitbit app it is giving me extra calories burned.

that's because you haven't done any walking yet. You burn calories at all times even when sleeping and the Fitbit accounts for those and you start the day negative (at least I always did) but as soon as you get moving it starts to even out... Did you read any of the information at the links everyone provided? I know for a fact that this very issue is addressed. It is also addressed in the FAQ section at Fitbit's site. Seriously if you're just going to freak out and you're not going to read and absorb the information provided then maybe it isn't the right tool for you. Please know that I'm not trying to be a jacka$$ - but if the technology is going to throw you to the point you seem to be at now, it might be best to either find something else or just do it the "old fashioned" way
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

that's because you haven't done any walking yet. You burn calories at all times even when sleeping and the Fitbit accounts for those and you start the day negative (at least I always did) but as soon as you get moving it starts to even out... Did you read any of the information at the links everyone provided? I know for a fact that this very issue is addressed. It is also addressed in the FAQ section at Fitbit's site. Seriously if you're just going to freak out and you're not going to read and absorb the information provided then maybe it isn't the right tool for you. Please know that I'm not trying to be a jacka$$ - but if the technology is going to throw you to the point you seem to be at now, it might be best to either find something else or just do it the "old fashioned" way

Agree wholeheartedly with this. You have been provided with a lot of information and resources yet still freaked out this morning so you didn't review anything or give it a chance. You're always burning calories and Fitbit is accounting for that. I was up with 680 roughly burned already and I'm not out of bed yet. Read the information or save your money and take it back if your not going to actually learn about what it's doing.