Is 1500 Calories Really Too Much?

Options
I recently went to dinner with a friend who's been on the weight loss wagon for the past two months and we began talking about how we were doing and the progress we were making.

She asked me how much I was eating, and I told her I was averaging about 1500 calories, which caused her to give me a look and told me I was eating way too much since I'm very short being only 5'0.

I work out 3 hours a day with a variety of exercises and have in the past month lost less then 4 pounds which I'm quite satisfied with, but after hearing what she said, I'm starting to have doubts about my calorie intake and whether or not I'm really eating too much for my height.

What do you think? I've always gotten great advice from people here, so any advice you can provide now would be very appreciated :smile:

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You are losing, awesome!!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with your rate of loss then I don't see where the issue is?
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You are happy with your progress. Your friend is not an authority about you.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    3 hours of exercise is a lot per day, what exercise do you do? Any reason for the 3 hours? Training for a comp?

Given we do not know your specific circumstances (eg age, current weight, goal weight) we really can't comment on whether 1500cals is too much, but it maybe that it is only due to exercise that you are creating a deficit.

Do you weight and measure all you foods and drinks or do you rely on generic measures such as 1 cup or 1/2 cup measures?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    May33338 wrote: »
    in the past month lost less then 4 pounds which I'm quite satisfied with,

You are not your friend - your friend is not you.
    Your goal is your goal and it's working so what's the issue?

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you want some numbers for reference - I'm 5 feet tall, 115 pounds, and 1470 calories is maintenance for me. It's more like a flat 1400 before I get my steps in.

Depending on your weight and activity level, 1500 could be perfectly fine. If I can get in 10k steps, 1500 cals is just shy of a 250 cal deficit.

You're losing. That's all that matters.

:)

~Lyssa
  • pfking42
    pfking42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5' started Jan 1 with 1000-1200 calories per day. My exercise routine was walking 3-5 miles 4-5 days a week. Lost 50# in 10 months, which is 5# mo. If you are losing with 1500 calories that is great.
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating 1500 calories a day and honestly when I was eating 1200 calories a day yeah I lost weight faster but I ended up gaining it all back. I had an off day and then let it affect me from there on out. I realized that I had been depriving myself and went overboard after that. Everything in moderation. 1500 is a very acceptable and appropriate amount to be eating daily for weight loss. In the end, it's better to be at an amount YOU are comfortable with and keep it up then to force yourself to do something you aren't and end up giving up in the end. Good luck!
  • marykersten19
    marykersten19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are losing ! That is a positive in my book! Slow and steady wins! You are doing perfect in my opinion.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Since you're losing weight, no, it's not too much. WTG!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing just fine. If you are happy with your loss, you feel like you are eating enough, and have the energy to do the workouts, there is nothing wrong with what you are doing. I'm only a couple inches taller than you, work out less, and lose on 1600/day. I wouldn't drop lower just because someone else thinks so. It's working, with a safe and healthy rate of loss. That's awesome!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Ditto and tritto to everyone's comments. If you're satisfied with your loss, then it works for you. :)
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone. If you are losing and you are happy with the results than you are fine! Your friend is unreasonable if they think you are wrong when it's obviously working for you. Keep it ip
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that you shouldn't let the comments of your friend make you doubt the results you're seeing so far...

For what it's worth, I'm 5'2 and lost my weight netting 1500 cals and then 1700 cals. I'm currently maintaining b/w 121-125 at about 1900 net cals, I eat b/w 2100-2300.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    You're losing yay! 1500 is perfect for you.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You're doing 3 hours of exercise per day? Just curious if you're going to continue to do this much exercise in maintenance?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight at the rate you want and are happy with that amount then keep doing what you are doing. Your friend may not be the best source of weight loss advice. She may be misinformed as to what is healthy weight loss or she might be insecure about her efforts or just stupid.
    1500 calories does not sound like too much for a very active person your size.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    You're doing 3 hours of exercise per day? Just curious if you're going to continue to do this much exercise in maintenance?

+1… that's setting yourself up for overuse injuries, unless you're training under a coach and know how to prep for it. Even then, probably.

1500 is not too high, no, and it's probably not enough for your workouts.

I'm 5'7 and can lose on 1900 with no exercise.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft0 also. My maintenece is 1300 without exercise. I wouldn't lose on that much but i dont exercise as much as you do.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Yes OP. ..can you speak to this? What are you doing? Where's your rest days?