Help me understand about logging exercise, please!

Options
I have a Jawbone UP2 that I've been using for about 2 weeks. It's sync'd to MFP and my steps are accounted for in my calorie allowance.

What I don't understand is if I "go for a walk" (vs. just walking around doing my normal daily routine stuff), should I log that as exercise? Does it give me even more calorie allowance? I'm still recovering from injuries, so my goal is 5000 steps a day, but about half the time I don't make it past 3500.

I just got the "map my walk" app and I'm not even sure if it's sync'ing, giving me extra calories from that, or not doing anything. I don't see the workouts show up in the UP app or on MFP, I think that's just keeping track of the steps. Is it supposed to do something special?

I don't want to count the same steps twice and skew the numbers, but I'd like to keep a record of my "exercise" to track my progress.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am assuming the jawbone is similar to fitbit and tracks steps? In that case you wouldn't track walking or other step based activities. Personally I wouldn't track any exercising and just let jawbone do its thing since it is connected to MFP. I find when I was adding in a lot of extra workout calories and eating my fitbit adjustment calories and my MFP calories I was eating way too many calories.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yes, the Jawbone UP2 tracks steps and sleep. (There are other UP models that track more, or less). I'm not eating back exercise calories anyway, but wanted a way to track my progress with walking, and to have a good reminder to get up and walk more often.

Is there any benefit to me using Map My Walk?