What's the dumbest thing you ever did food-wise?

Options
trossk2
trossk2 Posts: 50 Member
Before I ever cared or even paid the slightest attention to the food or calories consumed, I used to do some pretty shortsighted stuff with food.

The one thing that really sticks out is fast food hopping. The idea is to buy the best items from as many fast food places as you can find. We live just off a highway with way too many fast food joints, so you'd generally just get tired of going to another place. Well, $20 would buy a lot of food in the heyday of the dollar menu. By the time you get back each person has their own personal buffet of fast food. Burgers, tacos, fried fish, pastas, chili, etc. Name it. We had it, and we ate it all. Every one of those trips must have been 4k calories at a minimum. We've done that more times than I'd like to admit. It's the dumbest thing I've ever done with food.

What's yours?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I would just hit the supermarket and buy a huge amount of food, with the full intention of a binge. I'm taking a while roast chicken, blocks of cheese, packs of cookies, sticks of salami, bags of candy... and just go home and eat. And eat. It was so wrong. It was basically self harm with food.
  • trossk2
    Options
    From the looks of it, you've come a long way from that.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Eat it
  • JSurita3
    JSurita3 Posts: 10,177 Member
    Options
    Simply over eating. Not paying attention to signals of being full. I had to learn that it's okay to leave food on the plate regardless of how many people are hungry in the world. It's not like I was feeding them by stuffing my face anyway. Waste is waste, whether it's in your body or in the trash. Now as soon as I'm satisfied (not stuffed), I'm done.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Breakfast at home followed by second breakfast at work, then a snack, then first lunch of fast food and second lunch was whatever I had packed, then two more snacks, then fast food on the way home from work where I would cook dinner, eat dinner, then have dessert.

That was a standard day for me.
  • nymphetstein
    nymphetstein Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast and making dinner the biggest meal of my day.

Eating "healthy" granola bars that were actually filled with sugar.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    JSurita3 wrote: »
    Simply over eating. Not paying attention to signals of being full. I had to learn that it's okay to leave food on the plate regardless of how many people are hungry in the world. It's not like I was feeding them by stuffing my face anyway. Waste is waste, whether it's in your body or in the trash. Now as soon as I'm satisfied (not stuffed), I'm done.

True and its also hard to come to terms that you need nourishment
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Baking bread. I had to quit cold turkey. If I hadn't who knows how much I would weigh. No. Willpower.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Overeating out of habit and not reflecting on portion sizes and fear of wasting food. Not realising that I was eating badly, just because I was used to feeling bad. Listening to "official" guidelines and trying to eat low fat, boring food. Wasting money on low fat, boring food I had no intention on eating :s

Eating large amounts of chips and chocolate every day was unhealthy, but that ^ was just stupid.
  • jrevis001
    jrevis001 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Started binging when I was in fifth grade. I was home alone for a couple of hours each day after school. I wouldn't eat at school because I hated having people watch me put food in my body (I still do.... Can't stand eating in front of a large family gathering) so when I got home I would have lunch then a sweet snack, then a salty snack, a sweet snack again, and finally another salty snack. I remember it got so bad I had to hide there was a lot of food missing and moving boxes and cans around to trick my parents.
  • lisasjen
    lisasjen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So I was once super slim and then ate an entire cheesecake filled sheet cake from Costco it triggered unrelenting hunger for several months that led to 20lbs of gain. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) I'm an all or nothing kind of person:)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Burned the roof of my mouth on a pop tart I put in the microwave. It was a week ago. Eight days later it still hurts so badly I have to take pain killers. Smart, I know.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,818 Member
    Options
    I once ate a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in less than 24 hours.

I used to order half sheet cakes for special events such as birthdays, Mother's Day, etc. knowing darn good and well I'd have like half of the cake left over. Then I'd keep a fork in the bakery box and consume the rest of the cake in the next 1-2 days. It was really disgusting.
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Apologies in advance for the length:

So around Christmas time out here in LA, you can go downtown and volunteer to serve warm food (not the typical warm meals that are limited that they usually give out to the homeless and destitute), but my first time volunteering, one of the guys in the kitchen left for a second and the food he was cooking in this weird "wok/pan fry" looking thing shot up in flames (normal in many restaurants but definitely not in this place). Anyway, I grabbed a bucket and filled it with the soap-water in the dishwasher (no dirty dishes in there at the time) and dumped it right inside of the pan.

Now, the fire did go out (wooohooo!), but its concaved shape was like a perfect 10-footer off the coast of La Jolla or some skate park my friends and I used to break into at night and quite a bit, if not most, of whatever that was inside that thing went "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" straight into the next pan.

As I was serving food about an hour or so later, I heard one of the homeless persons say something like he "tasted like I ate a plate of 'laundry detergent" to another guy in line. The person next to me was like, "even on Christmas Eve when we're all showing these (insert derogatory term) some love, they gotta complain."

I was like, "hey, I mean I'm sure sometimes some of the things they say may have some truth in it, right? I don't think they're all crazy."

Then again, why the hell would the soup kitchen use laundry detergent to wash dishes?
  • PewterSky
    PewterSky Posts: 9,224 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast and making dinner the biggest meal of my day.

Eating "healthy" granola bars that were actually filled with sugar.

This and eating for comfort or out of boredom in the middle of the night. Stupidest thing ever.
    There was a time when I'd not eat anything all day long and then eat non stop after I'd get home from college. Dinner, then snacks, then some more dinner. It was bad.
  • trossk2
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Burned the roof of my mouth on a pop tart I put in the microwave. It was a week ago. Eight days later it still hurts so badly I have to take pain killers. Smart, I know.

Wow. How long did you put it in for? I guess the filling stuck to the roof and just kept on scalding. That sucks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    trossk2 wrote: »
    From the looks of it, you've come a long way from that.

Yup, I have, and I'm pretty proud of it! It took a good long while though, and the sorting out of the underlying issues :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    trossk2 wrote: »

Wow. How long did you put it in for? I guess the filling stuck to the roof and just kept on scalding. That sucks.

Only like 20 seconds. There's still a hole in the roof of my mouth.
  • trossk2
    Options
    projectsix wrote: »
    I used to eat a *kitten* tonne of mcdonalds .. like breakfast would be 3 x mcmuffins and 3 x hash browns

I did that a lot. There were fast food trifecta days too. McD's breakfast, Taco Bell lunch, and Arby's dinner.

Yup, I have, and I'm pretty proud of it! It took a good long while though, and the sorting out of the underlying issues :)

Congrats. It's no small feat.

Only like 20 seconds. There's still a hole in the roof of my mouth.

You have my sympathy. I've taken a propane fireball to the face and a serious burn to the roof of my mouth. I'd take another fireball before the roof burn. Hair grows back and the quick light burns heal much faster.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    While eating a sushi lunch with a business colleague, I popped what I believed to be a stray piece of avocado from a California roll into my mouth. Turned out to be a big blob of wasabi. Pretty sure I had steam coming out of my ears. A week later he sent me a package containing a ripe avocado. (We actually dated briefly. I remember seeing the Disney movie Aladdin with him. Wonder what ever happened to that guy. I'd Google him, but I don't recall his last name.)