Juicing Diet

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

calories in < calories out does not mean that you eat less than you exercise. Most of your calories out will be from just existing (and if you are a big guy you will burn a lot, thus why you are getting the numbers you are from MFP). Adding exercise will add to these numbers, but it isn't the sum total of calories out and you never should try to eat below the exercise numbers or think you need to exercise for some crazy number of calories (like 1800) -- that's not realistic.

OP, I just wanted to highlight this. Your body burns a lot of calories just by existing. The "calories out" number you are using is just your exercise calories - you probably burn in the neighborhood of 2,000 calories just sitting on the couch all day. Plug your stats accurately into MFP and eat the calories it gives you. Otherwise you risk burning out and just having to start all over again. Good luck!
  • Oflamez
    Oflamez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    the problem is you are not getting essential fat or any fat in this diet and also no protein, juice diet plus lean protein and minimal amounts of good fats would be the solution

• memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    They should not allow that documentary to be played anymore, it is making more harm than it helps people.
    Juice diets go like this:
    "I need to lose weight,
    I juice,
    I lose a few pounds,
    I go back to eating,
    I put on all the way back,
    I give up,
    bring me my cake"
    Repeat.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    brudius wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    First, let me say thank you for all of the opinions. It is good to hear what people think and different prospectives.

That being said MFP said i should be eating 2340 a day. Even when i am not dieting i don't consume 2340 calories a day. My main problem is that i have a very sedentary lifestyle. I sit in a cubicle and answer phone calls for 9 hours a day.

I mainly want to do this because it will at least give me a jump start to losing weight. On my 15 minute breaks and my 1 hour lunche i try to walk around our large parking lot to burn as many calories as i can. During an average day, it feels impossible to have calories out be more than calories in, unless i only have like 800 calories in.

I'm glad to see you're reading along. Unfortunately, I think you missed a big point.
    There is no "jump starting" losing weight. What you're referring to is a fast loss of water weight and it will always come back unfortunately. Your calories out includes not only your exercise, but what your body burns by being alive. If MFP says 1800 or so, GO WITH THAT. I promise, it works- I've done it and I'm in maintenance. 800 calories is far too little and is going to leave you with no energy and malnourished.

I am doing more than 800, closer to 1000-1200 with throwing in a solid food items. I am not doing 100% juice, but it is a majority of my intake in the day though.

Last time i did the juicing i did 100% juice. This time i am doing it a bit different. Taking in some solid fruit, some lean white meat, eggs, etc. I am trying to keep everything completely accurate with food scales to weigh food as well.

You're still well below the recommended minimum for men, which is 1500. If MFP says you will lose at 1800, why would you deprive yourself of 800+ calories?

I guess it is the mentality that eating more means i will lose less. It is hard for me to change that. Since i have never been successful it is something i need to try to break through. I just turned 29 also and i don't want to weigh what i do when i hit 30.

If you make it to hard/restrictive for yourself, you are likely to give up and you will do exactly what you are saying you don't want to do. Do you have an activity tracker? Are you using a kitchen scale to weigh all solid/semi-solid food items (peanut butter, and prepackaged goods like protein bars)?

I have an apple watch to track my activity. The scale i have is specifically for food.

Okay, so how many calories per day is the apple watch telling you that you burn (keep in mind that all gadgets have some margin of error). I'm glad you have a food scale, it can certainly be eye opening.

Just a clarification -- the apple watch isn't like fitbit. It tells you activity calories on top of normal burn only.

Thank you! The more you know... ☺
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    First, let me say thank you for all of the opinions. It is good to hear what people think and different prospectives.

That being said MFP said i should be eating 2340 a day. Even when i am not dieting i don't consume 2340 calories a day. My main problem is that i have a very sedentary lifestyle. I sit in a cubicle and answer phone calls for 9 hours a day.

I mainly want to do this because it will at least give me a jump start to losing weight. On my 15 minute breaks and my 1 hour lunche i try to walk around our large parking lot to burn as many calories as i can. During an average day, it feels impossible to have calories out be more than calories in, unless i only have like 800 calories in.

I'm glad to see you're reading along. Unfortunately, I think you missed a big point.
    There is no "jump starting" losing weight. What you're referring to is a fast loss of water weight and it will always come back unfortunately. Your calories out includes not only your exercise, but what your body burns by being alive. If MFP says 1800 or so, GO WITH THAT. I promise, it works- I've done it and I'm in maintenance. 800 calories is far too little and is going to leave you with no energy and malnourished.

I am doing more than 800, closer to 1000-1200 with throwing in a solid food items. I am not doing 100% juice, but it is a majority of my intake in the day though.

Last time i did the juicing i did 100% juice. This time i am doing it a bit different. Taking in some solid fruit, some lean white meat, eggs, etc. I am trying to keep everything completely accurate with food scales to weigh food as well.

You're still well below the recommended minimum for men, which is 1500. If MFP says you will lose at 1800, why would you deprive yourself of 800+ calories?

I guess it is the mentality that eating more means i will lose less. It is hard for me to change that. Since i have never been successful it is something i need to try to break through. I just turned 29 also and i don't want to weigh what i do when i hit 30.

If you make it to hard/restrictive for yourself, you are likely to give up and you will do exactly what you are saying you don't want to do. Do you have an activity tracker? Are you using a kitchen scale to weigh all solid/semi-solid food items (peanut butter, and prepackaged goods like protein bars)?

I have an apple watch to track my activity. The scale i have is specifically for food.

Okay, so how many calories per day is the apple watch telling you that you burn (keep in mind that all gadgets have some margin of error). I'm glad you have a food scale, it can certainly be eye opening.

Just a clarification -- the apple watch isn't like fitbit. It tells you activity calories on top of normal burn only.

The watch itself, yes - but if you go into the Activity app on the phone (which is synced with the watch), under the 'Move' information, it shows you both "Active Calories" and "Total Calories". For example, I'm looking at mine right now and it shows 363 active calories and 1825 total calories burned so far today. Near the bottom of the daily summary page, it also shows how many steps you've taken and the distance walked.

As far as the OP - I'm over 120 pounds lighter than you, almost 25 years older than you, and I lose about a pound a week eating 2400 calories/day. If you stuck to the 1843/day that you said MFP recommended you, you would most definitely be in a deficit and would lose weight.
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    When I was at my recent highest (191 lbs), I lost 3 lbs/week while eating around 1300-1500 kcal + bit of snacking I didn't log and more when exercising. I work IT and sit on my butt all day. You're larger so will burn more from just existing. Follow the ~1800 suggestion closely and weigh everything for a few weeks and I am sure you'll see great losses.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

The watch itself, yes - but if you go into the Activity app on the phone (which is synced with the watch), under the 'Move' information, it shows you both "Active Calories" and "Total Calories".

Ah, I forgot about this. Good point.

OP seems to be focusing just on active calories, though, so that's a good thing to tell him to look at -- total calories. It will illustrate what people are saying here.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ah, I forgot about this. Good point.

OP seems to be focusing just on active calories, though, so that's a good thing to tell him to look at -- total calories. It will illustrate what people are saying here.

Good point as well. I think OP wasn't aware of BMR (basal metabolic rate), which accounts for the vast majority of your daily calories burned anyway. Using OP's stats, his BMR is around 3100 calories (and that's lying in bed doing absolutely nothing). Even using a sedentary activity level and no exercise, his TDEE is somewhere around 3700 cal/day, so an intake of 1800 is over a 50% deficit.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

How long have you been counting calories for, and how many are you actually consuming per day? Have you reviewed the database entries you are using to ensure they are accurate (many are input by users and are frequently incorrect)? How much weight have you actually lost using calorie counting?

I am asking, because juicing didn't work for you the first time (you regained it), and it seems to me to make more sense to do something that will set you up for long term success. I know it can be overwhelming to think about how far you have to go, so break it down into smaller goals. Focus on 5lbs at a time. Focus on how your clothing feels. Focus on how you feel taking a flight of stairs. And honestly, the bathroom scale is a sucky indicator of success. Take measurements and progress pictures every month. You will see differences in those things when you don't see them in the mirror. Keep in mind that your 30th birthday will come. Are you going to be healthier when it gets here? Success, in weight loss is slower, but consistent progress. Impatience is probably one of the worst enemies we have while trying to lose. Work on your mindset. Just my thoughts. Best wishes.

Thanks for the good points. At best the watch says 500 calories in a day, average 400. Assuming it is a day like today where it is pouring outside and i cant get much walking in. When possible i scan the barcodes if it is prepackaged or i will add in by weight or cup if not prepackaged.

If you go by the weight on the prepackage, it is almost always off. For example, my oatmeal this morning, the package says 50 g = 190 calories, I weigh it for 55g, that's nearly 20 cals extra. It doesn't sound like much, but add that up over several items each day, it can slow your progress, and that's just oatmeal. Peanut butter is very calorie dense and it is so easy to get a serving and half. Weighing things will be your most accurate.

As discussed by others you need to look at your total daily calories, not just the active calories that your watch is giving you. How many total calories is it saying you are burning in a day, when you sync it?
  • brudius
    brudius Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice. MFP has such a great community! i am so glad i joined!
  • DarrylSpiers
    DarrylSpiers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found many useful tips and suggestions about juicing diet from this thread. Thank you all for sharing your ideas. Well i am completely agreed with you all specially about juicing diet because i have done it. This diet is helpful to reduce weight in a couple of weeks and we can get a great fitness easily. I suggest everyone to try juicing diet with using vegetables and fruits.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I found many useful tips and suggestions about juicing diet from this thread. Thank you all for sharing your ideas. Well i am completely agreed with you all specially about juicing diet because i have done it. This diet is helpful to reduce weight in a couple of weeks and we can get a great fitness easily. I suggest everyone to try juicing diet with using vegetables and fruits.

I'm not certain you read the thread.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

That is exactly what I was going to say...
  • brudius
    Options

What i took from everyone's advice was to trust MFP and eat the calories it says and follow the plan and everything will work. So i am putting my trust in the system. I have also started exercising. Nothing extreme yet, just sets of jumping jacks, yoga, and walking
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What i took from everyone's advice was to trust MFP and eat the calories it says and follow the plan and everything will work. So i am putting my trust in the system. I have also started exercising. Nothing extreme yet, just sets of jumping jacks, yoga, and walking

See - you read the thread! Good job OP, it is always refreshing when people listen to the advice provided and adjust their plan accordingly. I hope you continue to keep us posted on your progress.
  • brudius
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

See - you read the thread! Good job OP, it is always refreshing when people listen to the advice provided and adjust their plan accordingly. I hope you continue to keep us posted on your progress.

Will do!
  • nutmegoreo
    edited December 2015
    Options

My comment wasn't directed at you. I was referring to the guy saying that we should all juice for fitness. I believe you read the thread and understood quite nicely :smile:

Edited to add: I agree, please keep us updated!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

If you go by the weight on the prepackage, it is almost always off. For example, my oatmeal this morning, the package says 50 g = 190 calories, I weigh it for 55g, that's nearly 20 cals extra. It doesn't sound like much, but add that up over several items each day, it can slow your progress, and that's just oatmeal. Peanut butter is very calorie dense and it is so easy to get a serving and half. Weighing things will be your most accurate.

Ohhh! Thanks for the reminder! I have NOT been weighing my prepackaged foods...at ALL....I forgot that they are not scientifically calibrated to be an exact weight. This is probably esp. dangerous for me with cheese slices....

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Juice diets are nonsensical.

Create a nutritionally sound eating plan and stick to it the rest of your life. Can you only consume juice for the rest of your life?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Ohhh! Thanks for the reminder! I have NOT been weighing my prepackaged foods...at ALL....I forgot that they are not scientifically calibrated to be an exact weight. This is probably esp. dangerous for me with cheese slices....

I love cheese, but have stopped using the prepackage (unless I buy it at work, and I am not carrying around a scale for work/restaurants). I think the one I'm bad for not weighing out is the individual Greek yogurts. I will have to tighten up on those things, should my losses stall :smile: