Trying to gain 20 lbs

Options
Hi, I'm new here and am happy to be around people who are trying to gain weight (usually it's the other way around). I've been real skinny my whole life, and it has caused a lot of social anxiety. I've tried pills to help gain weight and it worked, but I didn't want to be reliant on taking pills my whole life, tried gain weight shakes from health stores and it didn't work, tried using a daily journal and it worked, but stopped after missing days at a time. I wanted to be around others who are also gaining weight. Although it's harder to gain weight the natural way, eating healthy and exercising, I found it easier to gain in the right places.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you need to incorporate calorie dense foods into your lifestyle. Let me guess, you are trying to gain weight by eating chicken, vegetables, fish, etc, right? I would suggest incorporating things like ice cream, bagels, cookies, etc into your diet so that you get into a surplus.

I would also suggest a structured heavy lifting program ….
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight management is all about calories. You need to eat more calories than your TDEE or maintenance calories. This might mean, like @njd1967 suggested concentrating on higher calorie foods. Other foods that can help are breads, nuts, avocado, cooking foods in oil, add butter to things, peanut or nut butters, starches, or fatty cuts of meat.

I would also suggest a good lifting program like strong curves.
  • ChloeJoanneSmith
    ChloeJoanneSmith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to gain some weight, around 10lbs :)

Feel free to add me, it'd be nice to have a friend that's also on a weight gain journey!