When to start maintenance?

Good morning! I have changed my goal weight several times and am now down within my goal range of 125-128 (currently at 125.4). Is this a good time to start on maintenance and any tips on what to do?? Suggestions welcome!

Replies

• lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    *meant currently at 125.6
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Did you read the stickies at the top of the maintaining board? Lots of good info.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Yes. Start adding 100-200 calories back to your day per week until you get where MFP has maintenance set for you. Congrats and enjoy.

You can just starting eating at maintenance but I personally recommend reversing slowly. It'll take you a couple weeks, but the scale won't go crazy (I dislike that).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    When to start maintenance?
    Now. As you are in your goal range start walking up your calories and take a few weeks (at least) to find your maintenance calories.

Tips:
    Set some new non-weight related goals.
    Think how you intend to maintain for the long term and start creating those habits.

And remember to smile. :)
  • lyndefisher
    Thanks for the advice. I truly appreciate it as I am a little nervous about going into maintenance. Definitely do not want to gain any back. I am so thankful that I managed to lose over Thanksgiving and did not deprive myself of a nice dinner and even dessert!
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Congratulations!

Start now. Remember to take your time and increase calories slowly so that you can give your body chance to adjust. Do not think that because you are in maintenance that you can go back to how you were eating when you were bigger, it doesn't work like that I'm afraid. Having said that do not go without or deny yourself - it's all about moderation.

Lastly, as @sijomial said smile and enjoy!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Ditto on the above. Don't be surprised if the scale bumps up a bit when you start adding calories back. Just stay the course and your weight should settle back in to your range.
  • lyndefisher
    Thank you everyone. I set the goal for maintenance and it bumped me to 1460 calories (normally 1200) but I think for this week I am only going to increase to 1300 and start there. I appreciate all the advice and words of encouragement!!