Gaining healthy weight

Options
Hi is there anyone here who is finding gaining weight very hard because of small appetite, also i just cant seem to get enough calories in per day and currently suffering from anxiety which is making it much hard, please if there is anyone can you help me, im 5ft and currently weigh 36.9kg and my bmi is 15.9 i need and want to gain weight but need some help!
Thank you in advance xx

Replies

• kayturnip
    kayturnip Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It is very hard on the beginning. I would suggest increasing your calorie intake slowly to allow your body to adapt. I've heard of people using Apetamin which is supposed to help increase your appetite; however it makes you VERY sleepy the first few days. However I would start with more natural options like calorie packed smoothies to help you reach your goal
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi is there anyone here who is finding gaining weight very hard because of small appetite, also i just cant seem to get enough calories in per day and currently suffering from anxiety which is making it much hard, please if there is anyone can you help me, im 5ft and currently weigh 36.9kg and my bmi is 15.9 i need and want to gain weight but need some help!
    Thank you in advance xx

Do you have any history of eating disordered behavior and have you been diagnosed?

Given how low your bodyweight and BMI are I would suggest you consult your physician. It's quite possible that you should be concerned with gaining weight, not necessarily gaining "healthy weight".
  • monkeyfunkyzoo
    monkeyfunkyzoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No i don't have a history of eating disorder, im not scared to gain weight i eat in front of people, i actually get really angry when ive lost weight, i was 39.3kgs about 4 weeks ago but i got hit really hard with food poisoning and the effects have lasted a long time i.e diarrhoea and vomiting, i still have the effects of the chronic vomiting and having an endoscopy and ultrasound scan next week, before this illness i was eating fine gaining weight and felt really healthy but it was the food poisoning that knocked me for six and i havent got my appetitie back yet, im still eating 3 meals a day and getting about 1200 calories but my stomach is still very sore and irritated which is the reason i cant eat much and its doing my head in because i want to feel healthy and be a healthy weight again! Xx
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Even without a ED history, I still second the advice to consult a physician.

You're at such a dangerously low BMI and weight, that medical intervention may be necessary.

From: http://www.livestrong.com/article/434699-what-is-a-dangerously-low-bmi/

"...if your body mass index is approaching 15, your best course of action is to see a doctor. "
  • AoifeElmo
    AoifeElmo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I began my mission to gain weight 2 years ago and I also struggleD with appetite I also felt full very quickly because I wasn't used to eating large 3 meals a day.

My tips are eat often so instead of 3 main meals a day, have 6 meals that are smaller in size. I found drinking hot milky drinks instead of tea helped me start my weight gain. For 2 months I had hot chocolate twice a day with full fat milk, and although not the healthiest, it did help me start gaining weight. For me the hardest part was the start, so once I seen weight gain I felt more confident and it was less of a struggle and more enjoyable. Bananas are great to snack or smoothies. If you put 2 Bananas in a smoothie and some fruit that's a great way to get in vitamins. Bagels, beans and potatoes were my staples, still are now. Take a Multivitamin too as you probably aren't meeting your nutritional needs at present.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight is never a problem. Just be sure you use healthy fats, and not sugars to make
    those calories.
  • holm6677
    holm6677 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recently started a mission to gain as well. In the beginning, it was very hard for me to get the calories i needed to put on weight. So, i started eating smaller meals. Sounds crazy, right? But, I was able to add 2 more meals to the day because I was hungry. Eventually, I got to where I could put down between 600 and 900 calories each meal. With my metabolism, I was eating around 2400 calories a day and never gained anything, regardless of my sedentary lifestyle. Now I'm getting around 3000 calories and making decent gains. So, my advice is eat less, but more often. Every 3 hours is good.
  • monkeyfunkyzoo
    monkeyfunkyzoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help anf advise, im making slow progress with eating more ive gone from eating 900-1000 calories to 1700 calories a day but i have also still got some stomach investigation to undergo i.e. ultrasound scan on my stomach and upper enoscopy to have a look to see if my stomach is causing some problems also i have had a blood test and ive come back borderline hyperthyroidism so keeping an eye on that incase this is casing my weight loss so i will keep everyone updated and see what happens but im not giving up! X