Down and up like a yoyo!

Options
In January this year I decided enough was enough and after finally recovering from a knee injury I jumped on the my fitness pal bang wagon. By June I had lost 30 pounds. I then started my first ever real job and so began the weight gain. I am now back up 15 of those 30 pounds and totally gutted. My job involves going to conferences where I eat out 4 nights in a row once every few months and I end up eating out at least once a week with friends as well! I think that's the biggest difference between spring and now. I still go to the gym but it feels really pointless if I have just eaten or know I am going to eat out. I know the obvious thing would be to eat healthy when eating out but it's so hard! I hate rocket and basically every salad has it in unless it's ceaser but then it's covered in thick dressing and cheese! And then of course it's Christmas soon and all of the work and friends Christmas meals start! I don't know what I can do but the weight gain has to stop now! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to how to move forwards.

Replies

• Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My advice is this . . . decide if you want to be plump or not. If not, MFP has many resources to help you. You control the string to the yo-yo and practice makes perfect. Practice control every day. For support and tough love friend me if you will log in daily, honestly record you meals and move even when you don't wan to.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you still tracking your calories? If not, start now. If so, probably look into ways to tighten up your logging, such as using a food scale. If the restaurants you're going to have nutrition information posted online, you can research the best things to fit into your goals before you go.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I get that eating out can be hard to do - I try to avoid it as much as possible as when I look a menu over it all sounds so delicious, I want to eat all the food! Perhaps choose something on the menu you do like (rather than the salad) but don't clear your plate? Skip having a starter? Share a dessert with a friend on the nights out with friends? I think if you can control your portion size, by leaving some left on the plate, that may help.

I tend to skip a starter rather than a dessert, because if I say to myself, okay I'll skip the dessert and have the starter, you can bet by the end of the meal that I'm also wanting a dessert. Of course, when skipping a starter, I also then have to sit on my hands so I don't fill up with bread instead :persevere:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stop ordering the salad. Order soup only.
    Or order a small steak with nothing on the side.
    Grilled/steamed/baked/broiled meats are usually good options.
  • lizetrombley
    lizetrombley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you know where you are going for dinner , check out what they have before you go , look at nutritional info and decide what you are having before you go
  • EmmaLucy500
    EmmaLucy500 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thankyou very much for the advice everyone! I never though to just have lean meat and veg! I will also skip the starter as I have self control with savoury but definitely not when it comes to sweet! Thanks again
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Keep logging, no matter where you are. Set your calories to maintenance whenever you need to, but keep logging.