When to stop?

Options
Hello - I have a question and would love to hear from the community.

How are we supposed to know when to stop losing weight?

Firstly, let me say: what an awesome problem to have! I know I could stop now, I'm not sure if I should is all.

I started out 6.5 years at 97kg/213lb, enormous for my 5'3 frame and absolutely miserable. I started MFP properly this year at 84kg/185lb and today am at the top of my "healthy weight range" at 67kg/147lb.

So...

• I am finally healthy though I am at the top of the range.
  • I am a size 10AU/UK (6US).
  • I am my lowest adult body weight.
  • My hip to waist ratio is healthy (34 to 26)
  • I feel happy when I look in the mirror but I don't know if I would deem this a healthy weight for me.
  • I still have curves which is essential for me
  • My body fat % is between 22-18 (I use online calculators so I'm being conservative.

But, my BMI could be better and I know I am at the top of the range, verging on overweight.

The plan was always to get to healthy (including BMI so I will definitely lose another 1kg/2.2lb) and then refocus my goals to be fitness-related and maintenance. Now I am at healthy, I feel concerned I am perhaps still a little overweight for my frame.

Is this just an appearance thing or could I be healthier if lose more? Body composition is my focus for next year - is that all I need.

I'm so confused.

Here I am 1kg ago for reference. Not very good pics but you get the idea.

oj9mdb4mb0v4.jpg

vzv3h1is7rs2.jpg

Replies

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    IMO when you are satisfied with the way you look. Obviously if you have to lose more weight for medical reasons, continue, otherwise for vanity's sake.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,922 Member
    Options
    Good question ... one which I'm wrestling with now.

I am currently back down to the weight at which I've spent most of my adult life ... lowish end of the BMI range. On the one hand, I would kind of like to lose another 2 kg ... but on the other hand, I would kind of like to be done.

I think it does come down to being satisfied with the way you look, while still remaining within a normal BMI range.
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm at the point I'd like to be done too. I picked my goal weight based upon what I remember weighing when I got married. I think I looked my best then. Of course, that was 20 years ago. Ha! I'm happy where I am now but I'd still like to reach that number I was shooting for, just because that's been my goal for so long. Just 5 more lousy pounds but jeesh it's proving to be hard to lose. Sometimes, I think I should just be happy I'm now at a healthy weight after losing 50 pounds and focus on maintaining. If I manage to keep the weight off, I'll be thrilled. That's the far greater challenge anyway. But I still want to lose 5 more. It's a matter of principle now!
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. It is good to know I'm not alone.

I am very conscious of maintain curves and I also don't want to have too slim a body because I have a giant head (I'm not joking, it is huge) so I will look like a ridiculous lollipop person if I go too far!

Maybe it is just me but, I've been doing this for so long that I think it is habit. I think I am a bit addicted to the high I get from seeing a new weight show on the scale.

I guess my answer is: Get to healthy on the last hurdle (BMI) and then reassess.

Thank you all :-)
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You have done an amazing job with yourself. When you are happy with your weight that's all there is.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Maybe you could invest in getting a body composition test done, hydrostatic under water weighing. This is now the gold standard in calculating the percentage of body fat, only then can you determine composition changes if you don't want to lose more weight, or safely determine how much more weight you'd like to lose. It's pretty cool, I've had it done twice and it's very informative. Each time it cost my about $40US
    BMI is actually a poor measurement of ideal body weight and composition, but the medical world needs a rough estimate to go by, and for that it does suffice.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with my weight BUT I'm not finished my goal is to stay at his weight but change my composition :smile: drop fat and add muscle but still stay at the same weight! So guess if your happy you could just change the focus so you still have goals to aim for!!!! Congratulations btw you look awesome!!!!
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    You have done an amazing job with yourself. When you are happy with your weight that's all there is.
    I'm happy with my weight BUT I'm not finished my goal is to stay at his weight but change my composition :smile: drop fat and add muscle but still stay at the same weight! So guess if your happy you could just change the focus so you still have goals to aim for!!!! Congratulations btw you look awesome!!!!

Thank you both so much. I'm still getting used to being proud of myself haha. Being congratulated is nice because I recently moved & changed jobs so I haven't seen the people who knew me bigger since I got below 70kg, Sometimes I honestly forget what I have achieved.
    Maybe you could invest in getting a body composition test done, hydrostatic under water weighing. This is now the gold standard in calculating the percentage of body fat, only then can you determine composition changes if you don't want to lose more weight, or safely determine how much more weight you'd like to lose. It's pretty cool, I've had it done twice and it's very informative. Each time it cost my about $40US
    BMI is actually a poor measurement of ideal body weight and composition, but the medical world needs a rough estimate to go by, and for that it does suffice.

Yeah I know BMI is pretty crappy, I've been using it as an indicator. Great idea on the body comp test. I might treat myself to this for my birthday in 3 weeks. Thanks!
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    I'm ok now that I'm at a healthy bmi. I think you look awesome.

Thank you, that means a lot
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You look incredible :)
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    think I am a bit addicted to the high I get from seeing a new weight show on the scale.

This resonated with me. I'm in the exact boat as you but my bmi is in the middle of my range, but that little high of the scale move can be hard to lose..... If you look on the success page and see the post I put up yesterday you will see what progress I've made in the last year after first getting to the stage you are now and if I'm honest, the stress anxiety and will for that golden scale move has not been worth it. Please for your sanity sake, if you are happy with how you look then own that rocking bod you got, move to maintenance and put in some weight efforts and use that focus and drive for just staying healthy!
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    You look incredible :)

I love you hehe
  • Livgetfit
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    think I am a bit addicted to the high I get from seeing a new weight show on the scale.

This resonated with me. I'm in the exact boat as you but my bmi is in the middle of my range, but that little high of the scale move can be hard to lose..... If you look on the success page and see the post I put up yesterday you will see what progress I've made in the last year after first getting to the stage you are now and if I'm honest, the stress anxiety and will for that golden scale move has not been worth it. Please for your sanity sake, if you are happy with how you look then own that rocking bod you got, move to maintenance and put in some weight efforts and use that focus and drive for just staying healthy!

I had a little think about this, thanks for sharing.

I think I feel sexier when I am curvy and if I really ask myself "what do I want?" then answer is simple: to be strong & healthy. I no longer feel "fat", now I feel pretty great. I'd like to feel better which I know I will from strength training. I once got that high from lifting 5kg more or doing an extra set, I will again.

I think I will shoot for my lower goal, just 7lb/3.2kg more but I'm going to do it very, very gradually and put the focus on my fitness instead.

Thank you. This forced me to consider what I want versus what i'm doing.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I wasn't happy with my look at the higher end of a healthy weight. So I kept going. Eventually I just couldn't do it anymore and didn't make it to my low goal.

I'd say if you feel there is more fat to lose, shoot for the middle of a healthy weight range. You could also focus on a body recomp then, or even now.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    @Livgetfit

First you look great. Fantastic job on getting down to where you are now.

As for where to stop, well I certainly don't know. I'm at the high range of healthy BMI now, but personally I look at BMI as nothing more than a rough gauge. I actually think a lot of people look healthier and more fit towards the middle to higher range when it comes to BMI.

But actually I've decided that the weight number itself means very little to me any more. I'm going for where I feel fit and like what I've accomplished. For me that might be a bit leaner than in the past, but actually that applies to muscle as well. I've found that for the things I do, too much bulk really doesn't help at all and in reality is of little use to the activities I like.
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You did a great job...
    When to stop is a really good question... I think if you feel happy when I look in the mirror and you are healthy, fit and in shape then you can stop now..
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    @Livgetfit

First you look great. Fantastic job on getting down to where you are now.

As for where to stop, well I certainly don't know. I'm at the high range of healthy BMI now, but personally I look at BMI as nothing more than a rough gauge. I actually think a lot of people look healthier and more fit towards the middle to higher range when it comes to BMI.

But actually I've decided that the weight number itself means very little to me any more. I'm going for where I feel fit and like what I've accomplished. For me that might be a bit leaner than in the past, but actually that applies to muscle as well. I've found that for the things I do, too much bulk really doesn't help at all and in reality is of little use to the activities I like.

I tend to agree with your take on the BMI. It really incorporates so little information. With it, 100grams can be the difference between healthy & at risk. How absurd.

What I'm getting from you guys is pretty much spot on for what I now think I need: Push that little bit further into the healthy weight range (go for my lower goal of 3.2kg more), relax a bit as I'm overall pretty happy and focus on recomp as it is something I am interested in accomplishing.

I can't thank you all enough. I was supremely confused without you helping me to sound this out.

Lots of love,
    Liv