Exercise=Hunger problem

Options
I don't mind exercising to help get into shape but I find when I do I become very hungry afterwards. Any tips on what foods can keep this from happening? Thanks in advance ;)

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough in general? Are you eating extra calories to fuel the exercise?

For me, workouts tend to decrease my hunger, but I also eat extra on those days to make sure I have a good workout.
  • Mark_76
    Mark_76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I want to try to maintain my calorie intake so the calories burned during exercise can help me lose weight more rapidly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    If you change your diary sharing setting to Public we can give you tips specific to you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    sumexc wrote: »
    I don't mind exercising to help get into shape but I find when I do I become very hungry afterwards. Any tips on what foods can keep this from happening? Thanks in advance ;)

I'm the same!! I alway mix a protein shake with a banana after weights, fills my tummy up till next meal time!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I want to try to maintain my calorie intake so the calories burned during exercise can help me lose weight more rapidly.

Is the actual rate at which you are losing - including the extra deficit from exercise - appropriate, or too aggressive? Many of us (hell, probably most of us) have tried to be too aggressive and failed because of that.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Protein shake and/or power bar usually does it for me. I usually down a huge diet coke as well which keeps hunger at bay until I have a proper meal.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Harder exercise will make most people hungry. But just keep in mind that if you let your total calorie deficit get too high, that is where you are likely to run into issues. It's the same as if you strive for weight loss by diet alone with a larger deficit.

That being said, figure out what works for you to keep you full between meals, or low calorie ideas that provide some reasonable nutrition. After a hard workout... really I'm not picky what I eat. Anything can satisfy me short term. It's planning the nutritional needs that can throw you a curve ball at times.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Skim string cheese and a hard-boiled egg fill me up great for a snack.

If you want carbs after exercise (recommended for a lot of folks), make a drink or smoothie with milk as its base. I like milk with Carb Control Instant Breakfast for an easy, chocolatey snack that fills me up nicely for the calories.
  • Mark_76
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you change your diary sharing setting to Public we can give you tips specific to you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Done ;)
  • Mark_76
    Options

I'm the same!! I alway mix a protein shake with a banana after weights, fills my tummy up till next meal time!

Got the protein shake, might give that a try, and yes, bananas are good too. Thanks
  • Mark_76
    Options
    Protein shake and/or power bar usually does it for me. I usually down a huge diet coke as well which keeps hunger at bay until I have a proper meal.

• Mark_76
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Is the actual rate at which you are losing - including the extra deficit from exercise - appropriate, or too aggressive? Many of us (hell, probably most of us) have tried to be too aggressive and failed because of that.

When I don't exercise I can even stay below the recommended intake most the time and not be hungry, as soon as I do any form of activity that builds up a sweat, I'm still hungry once I've maxed the daily, it sucks lol
  • Mark_76
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Harder exercise will make most people hungry. But just keep in mind that if you let your total calorie deficit get too high, that is where you are likely to run into issues. It's the same as if you strive for weight loss by diet alone with a larger deficit.

That being said, figure out what works for you to keep you full between meals, or low calorie ideas that provide some reasonable nutrition. After a hard workout... really I'm not picky what I eat. Anything can satisfy me short term. It's planning the nutritional needs that can throw you a curve ball at times.

Thanks, I'll give the protein shakes a try and see how that goes.
  • Mark_76
    Options
    Skim string cheese and a hard-boiled egg fill me up great for a snack.

If you want carbs after exercise (recommended for a lot of folks), make a drink or smoothie with milk as its base. I like milk with Carb Control Instant Breakfast for an easy, chocolatey snack that fills me up nicely for the calories.

Sounds delicious! Thanks