Plateau has me rethinking things

Options
Hi all.

New to this, and I understand that there is a lot I don't understand!

So, I've been making decent progress since I started with MFP in the beginning of April. I went from 204 to 190lbs. I'm just trying to get to 180 but the scale hasn't moved from the 189 - 191 range for the whole month of June.

I'm thinking its a plateau, and so I'm stuck in more than a few ways!

Do I ride it out, or do I make changes?

In trying to decide what to do, I realized that I might not have been doing it right to begin with.

I've been at or under my calorie goal most days, and my exercise routine is pretty solid. (In my mind anyway) For the most part, I don't eat back my calories burned from exercise either.

Am I actually eating too little? My BMR is 1859 and most days I'm eating around 1500, and not feeling hungry or sluggish, and up to now, have been gradually losing some weight.

I don't have far to go. As mentioned I'd like to get to 180 and then maintain at that weight, but I'd like to know that I'm on the right track and not on a path that might cause more harm than good in the long-run. So, do you think I should just ride it out, or do some adjustments need to be made?

Thanks in advance. :-)

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It isn't recommended to eat below one's BMR while losing weight because it increases the amount of lean muscle loss and can result in plateaus.

There is no possible way you can gain fat while eating at your BMR, so there is no disadvantage to you.

I would say eat at your BMR + eat 80%-90% of whatever you burn during exercise.

Give it at least 4 weeks(depends on the person and how long they've been underfeeding), you'll see the weight coming off.

Just remember that as you increase your food volume, your bowels will store more waste and you will naturally consume more sodium, so... don't freak out if the scale says you gained a pound.
  • ZenAmok
    ZenAmok Posts: 4
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks! It shouldn't be too hard to eat a little more each day. More and more of what I'm reading now seems to bolster what you've said.