Knee Arthroscopy (Scope) Recovery

Options
Going to get a knee arthroscopy in February (I have chondromalacia patella - dr. is going to do a 'clean up' - no tears apparent on MRI) and wondering what the recovery was like for others that have had this done. How soon until you could workout again? How slow did you have to work back up to regular leg work? When were you totally back to normal?? How long were you off work? Did the arthroscopy help??

Obviously I'll be following the direction of the doctor, but I'm interested in hearing the experiences of others who work out and have been through this! I lift heavy now (but have to limit certain exercises due to knee cap pain) and it will be hard for me to stop for too long!

Thanks.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I had knee arthroscopy including laser debridement of an old stellate patella fracture and a clean-up of the meniscus.

Zero post op pain, back to work the following day and when I went back for a check-up after a week I was doing deep knee bends, lunges, jumps and hops without any problem at all. Just a week off from training.

Walk in the park really! Wish I had done it earlier but it was only when the other knee got badly damaged I decided I needed at least one knee in reasonable condition.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    wow, that sounds great and gives me some hope, thanks!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    It really varies from person to person and procedure to procedure. Your surgeon should have given you answers on what normal recovery is like as part of the process, or perhaps that discussion is still coming up. The other thing to keep in mind is that there are times when they get into the knee and see things visually that did not show up before. If everything is as they think it is, your surgeon's description of what recovery will be like is probably the most accurate.
  • Bissa384
    Bissa384 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had it done for two menisci tears in October. Off work 5 weeks and I am finally able to do stairs normally. I'd say about 90% back to normal. It really is different for each person. My recovery was longer due to previous knee injuries including 2 dislocations. Just make sure to follow the Drs orders.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have had two knee arthroscopic procedures done to remove torn meniscus (one when I was 15, and another just this last year at age 37). Obviously my recovery was quick when I was 15. I was up and moving around the same day, and running around by the next day.

This last one this past year, my recovery was a bit slower. I was up and walking around with some crutch help on Day 1, no crutches by Day 2, and fairly mobile as the first week progressed. By the following week, I was doing some power walking on my treadmill, with weights and inclines, and began slowly integrating full and normal activity and workouts by the next week.

Like rileysowner stated, it really varies from person to person. I am fairly fit and mobile already, and have a decent threshold for pain/discomfort (I'm also stubborn as hell, too), so that might have contributed to my somewhat speedy recovery.
  • lisaando151
    lisaando151 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a full knee reco 11 years ago and my arthro done 2 weeks ago.
    I was up straight away.
    I had no pain, but was quite tight and stiff. But my pre-existing injuries caused this. I had a meniscus tear, one of the staples had come out a bit, some cysts growing on old scar tissue and some stitching done.
    I'll be back in the pool tomorrow and went back to the gym today. Could have gone back to the gym earlier but was slightly hesitant as this isn't my first knee op. But really the arthro was a piece of cake.
    I'd start strengthening the muscles around the knee now to help with the recovery if you're not already doing that
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    thanks, everyone. I have been working hard this past year on the leg muscles (something I never really did before), it is just hard though since the knee problem is stopping me from doing a lot of the lower body exercises I need most.

what did everyone's physio look like after? I went to physio in the past, but found that a lot of the exercises are just too easy/basic for someone who is used to lifting (heavy) weights. I know I'll have to start easy again after the scope, but not sure I want to bother with weeks/months of physio when all they do is get you to go through the basic exercises (things I could do on my own at home).
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I wasn't prescribed any physical therapy, not for an arthroscopic procedure. Since yours is just a "clean up", you will not likely get prescribed any either.

The physical therapy you'll likely have recommended by your doctor.......get up and walk around, gradually add activity as you can tolerate it. Your knee will tell you when not to do something.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I had arthroscopy for a meniscus tear last year. It was a breeze compared to my ACL surgery several years prior, and I was walking basically normally by the following week.

I did have physical therapy to fix the imbalances that caused the tear. If you aren't prescribed any, you can probably put together your own routine-lunges, squats, calf stretches, mobility work, etc.

You might want to take it easy for a day even if you're feeling better, because you did have a foreign object poking around a joint, so there might be some discomfort. Spend a day bingeing Netflix and popping ibuprofen and you'll be fine in no time. :)
  • 63gogirl63
    63gogirl63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How was your recovery from your arthoscpic surgery for chonodromalacia patella?