Too much walking?

Options
I have just started my first bulk and would be grateful for some advice. I currently walk an average of 50-60 miles a week (walking to/from work, gym, shops, etc.) at a fast pace (>4mph) and I'm not sure whether to try to cut this down. While I know walking is hardly strenuous cardio, I just wondered whether doing this much could be detrimental to my goal to build muscle? I have absolutely no problem eating the food required to support this amount of activity to get into the surplus I need, but could it in any way hinder my ability to build muscle?

Replies

• musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Tough to do!! I have found success in keeping my heart rate up during weightlifting sessions. I wear a heart rate monitor to make sure I am where I want to be. I had a bodybuilder tell me once if you can figure out a way to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time you will be worth millions.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    No, walking won't hinder your muscle building, as long as you are staying in caloric surplus. If you feel like you are doing so much walking that it is hindering your recovery from your leg workouts in the gym, then you may want to consider cutting down the amount of walking you are doing. If your walking doesn't bother the joints in your feet/knees/hips/back, and your leg muscles aren't overly stressed, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Walking isn't necessarily catabolic per se, but keep in mind that you do burn calories doing it and thus create a deficit. As long as you're accounting for that in your intake levels, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • jenbob1985
    jenbob1985 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks everyone for the input I appreciate it. I'll keep it up then and only cut back if it starts to interfere with my recovery.