Post your problem? (and solution!)

Options
Hello everyone!

In this topic, I'd like to post a few problems that I (and probably lots of other people) have when it comes to food. I'd love to see the solutions/tips/ideas of other members.. Just simply share your experiences, what has worked for you (and what hasn't!)

Of course, if you want to post one of your issues as well here, feel free to do so!

Problems:

- I forgot my lunch this morning, now I have to eat junkfood from the cafeteria that I can't count... Ah well, day is ruined, might as well stuff myself!

- I ate too many calories too early, now I have too little left for dinner!

- Darn, I'm feeling so weak and hungry on a diet... Need more! (even though I'm eating 1400-1500 calories)

- The meal isn't over when I'm full, the meal is over when I am absolutely stuffed.. Otherwise, no satisfaction!

- Binging!

I'm curious for your experiences! :smiley:

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Forgot my lunch: I have no idea what your work cafeteria is like, but mine has lots of options for people who are trying to make their diet hit various goals (lower calorie, higher fiber, etc). Rather than throw in the towel and decide you can't count, focus on picking something that will be relatively easy to estimate and fits within your goals. I would also take some time to see if there is a solution to forgetting the lunch if this is a regular thing: can you put a post-it on the door or establish a routine to help you remember it?

Ate too many calories: I pre-log the night before so I never run out of calories for dinner. If something unexpected does happen, I will still have my planned dinner (maybe removing some "extras" if they were included) and balance it out over the next few days.

• MissFlawed
    MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Forgot my lunch: I have no idea what your work cafeteria is like, but mine has lots of options for people who are trying to make their diet hit various goals (lower calorie, higher fiber, etc). Rather than throw in the towel and decide you can't count, focus on picking something that will be relatively easy to estimate and fits within your goals. I would also take some time to see if there is a solution to forgetting the lunch if this is a regular thing: can you put a post-it on the door or establish a routine to help you remember it?

Hmm no not really, it's a school cafetaria.. The only thing I can really estimate are the snacks.. And those won't keep me full for long. I don't forget my lunch that often.. The problem is rather that when I do screw up something small, that will give me an excuse to binge.
    Ate too many calories: I pre-log the night before so I never run out of calories for dinner. If something unexpected does happen, I will still have my planned dinner (maybe removing some "extras" if they were included) and balance it out over the next few days.

That actually is a really good idea. I'm going to do that! Thank you!

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MissFlawed wrote: »

Hmm no not really, it's a school cafetaria.. The only thing I can really estimate are the snacks.. And those won't keep me full for long. I don't forget my lunch that often.. The problem is rather that when I do screw up something small, that will give me an excuse to binge.

That actually is a really good idea. I'm going to do that! Thank you!

You can estimate ANYTHING. Your estimates may not be good and I don't know if any of the non-snack options meet your tastes and goals, but most people who are losing weight here sometimes estimate food in situations like this (or when at a friend's house or eating out, etc). Depending on your options, it may be better for you to order something more substantial and do your best guess on the calorie count than to have some snacks that leave you hungry.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

In this topic, I'd like to post a few problems that I (and probably lots of other people) have when it comes to food. I'd love to see the solutions/tips/ideas of other members.. Just simply share your experiences, what has worked for you (and what hasn't!)

Of course, if you want to post one of your issues as well here, feel free to do so!

Problems:

- I forgot my lunch this morning, now I have to eat junkfood from the cafeteria that I can't count... Ah well, day is ruined, might as well stuff myself!

We don't have a cafeteria, but when I worked at a place that did there were generally options like salad plus protein that would fit and could be estimated easily enough. Bigger issue is not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good (or an all or nothing attitude). No reason to stuff yourself just because you messed up a little. Remind yourself that you are human, it's not the end of the world, and take the opportunity to figure out how to avoid forgetting the lunch (something I have definitely done).
    I ate too many calories too early, now I have too little left for dinner!

Learn from this -- how did you come to overeat?

What I would do: make a low calorie dinner (vegetables plus some lean protein) and get in some extra exercise.
    Darn, I'm feeling so weak and hungry on a diet... Need more! (even though I'm eating 1400-1500 calories)

Think through my calories and exercise to see if that might be the case. If not, figure out what's going on. It's usually lack of sleep for me. Bulk up meals with more low calorie vegetables or if it's at a specific time maybe add in a piece of fruit or yogurt or some nuts then (i.e., sometimes I do this if I plan to workout around 7-8 pm (before dinner and long after lunch)). Worse case solution -- drink coffee.
    The meal isn't over when I'm full, the meal is over when I am absolutely stuffed.. Otherwise, no satisfaction!

Easy one. Measure out the meal and eat what's on my plate. Put away leftovers or pack it up for future lunches. I never find I am hungry afterwards.
    Binging!

No real experience with this, so can't help. I tend to overeat in specific situations (if I start snacking when I'm bored or upset) so I simply try to limit those times and eat only at mealtime or scheduled snacks.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    On not giving yourself an excuse to binge: accept that you're not perfect and will never be perfect. Your goal isn't perfection, your goal is to be good enough. You can guesstimate a few things and still be on track to being good enough.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm the queen of 'too few calories left for the dinner I had planned'. So I just change my plan.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Also, can you ask the lunch staff for nutrition info? I worked at an elementary school when I was in college, and set up the cafeteria computers, so I knew the lunch staff well. Their menus were very carefully planned from a nutrition standpoint since they had strict guidelines to qualify for state funding. I could have had very accurate nutrition details if I'd asked.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    What helped me with binging/emotional eating:

1. More protein in relationship to carbs stops the physical urge to overeat: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    2. Yoga stops the emotional urge to overeat: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
    3. Ramping up activity level in general does something positive as well[/quote]
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Problems:

- Darn, I'm feeling so weak and hungry on a diet... Need more! (even though I'm eating 1400-1500 calories)

- The meal isn't over when I'm full, the meal is over when I am absolutely stuffed.. Otherwise, no satisfaction!

- Binging!

I'm curious for your experiences! :smiley:

this response is aimed at the items I've bolded. I like to eat, and I like the feeling of being full. Sometimes I don't leave enough calories as I would like for dinner. The one answer I have found that works in both scenarios is salad. I will fill a 3 quart bowl with lettuce, tomato, onions (tons of onions, different types like red, white, green, etc), and green peppers. Then I most it with water and add tons of seasoning (the water makes the seasoning stick to the veggies). It comes in just under 200 calories. I gain the satisfaction of eating something with flavor and the quantity is huge. I do this when I don't have a lot of calories remaining for dinner. If I do have a lot of calories remaining, then I will eat other stuff after the salad as well, but the salad helps to prevent me from over eating more calorie dense items.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Problems:

I have a couple of set places that I can go to in my local area so that I can get a meal that is 500 calories or less.
    I NEVER consider a day a ruined if I go over on calories....only that meal. So there is no excuse to overeat at dinner.

I would have as low calorie of a dinner as I could and then I would hop on my treadmill for about an hour that night. Then maybe even trim a couple hundred calories off the next day if I could.

- Darn, I'm feeling so weak and hungry on a diet... Need more! (even though I'm eating 1400-1500 calories)-
    Really take a close look at the type of foods your eating to make sure you are eating foods that are filling. Mix and match and try different things. Then raise the calories if I have to...never go hungry. That only leads to overeating later.

You need to get past the mindset that you are only satisfied while feeling stuffed after a meal. That can't happen anymore.

- Binging!
    Eat at a calorie level that is comfortable for you. If its too restrictive you will stop or binge.