Kcal in 15cm pizza?

Options
enemyger
enemyger Posts: 84 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Everything i find in this app about pizzas is always per slice, and the kcals are huge?
What kind of slices are they counting?
Im pretty sure a slice of a 15cm pizza isnt 220

Anyone knows?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The entries should be specific as to what type of pizza they're counting. If they aren't, try checking the website of the pizza place that you're using -- I know for a fact that Dominos and Papa John's both have calorie builder tools on their website so you can get a specific count. 220 sounds about right for many slices though, depending on toppings.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It could very easily be that many calories. First, pizza is chiefly bread and bread is calorie dense. Cheese, another prime ingredient for pizza, is also quite calorie dense. 1/4 of a 12" Digiorno pepperoni pizza is 549 calories. A 220 calorie slice of pizza would be pretty puny.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I assume 220 is the very least. I always log at LEAST 350 for a slice of pizza, and very often more.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Welcome to calorie counting lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It could very easily be that many calories. First, pizza is chiefly bread and bread is calorie dense. Cheese, another prime ingredient for pizza, is also quite calorie dense. 1/4 of a 12" Digiorno pepperoni pizza is 549 calories. A 220 calorie slice of pizza would be pretty puny.

I eat pizza without cheese and it's usually at least 220 calories per slice. I think that 220 calories for pizza with cheese would usually be a bargain.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Bread, cheese, tomato sauce, various meats? You're getting away lucky at 220 calories. Pizza is delicious and nutritious, but it is calorie dense. Keep going, you're sure to find other surprise calorie bombs along the way!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    15 cm would be like a 6" pizza. Pizza Hut's personal pans are 6". Here's the data sheet for the nutrition info for those: http://www.pizzahut.com/assets/w/nutrition/BrandStandardNutritionalInformationFINAL111314.pdf
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'd also guess around 350 per slice of a 15inch (not 15cm!)
  • enemyger
    Options
    Y'all not understanding how much 15 cm is....

Here in europe the pizzas arn't as big as over there in the us

15 cm is like 6inch
    A slice of a 15cm pizza is NOT 220 kcal...
    There is no chance...
  • enemyger
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    15 cm would be like a 6" pizza. Pizza Hut's personal pans are 6". Here's the data sheet for the nutrition info for those: http://www.pizzahut.com/assets/w/nutrition/BrandStandardNutritionalInformationFINAL111314.pdf

Thank you, the only one who understood whats I said lol.
  • arditarose
    Options
    lol. Cannot wrap my head around small pizza.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    enemyger wrote: »

And you'll note that per that linked sheet, that a full 6" pizza tends to range from about 600 calories to 850 calories or so. So while maybe a bit high, 220 per slice isn't too far off.

It's of course noteworthy that Pizza Hut personal pizzas are "Pan Pizzas" (ie - very thick crust), so a thinner crust pizza would probably be somewhat less than that.
  • enemyger
    Options

And you'll note that per that linked sheet, that a full 6" pizza tends to range from about 600 calories to 850 calories or so. So while maybe a bit high, 220 per slice isn't too far off.

It's of course noteworthy that Pizza Hut personal pizzas are "Pan Pizzas" (ie - very thick crust), so a thinner crust pizza would probably be somewhat less than that.

The pizza i ate was very thin, pizza huts seem pretty big, so I can imagine how much kcal it had...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

The pizza i ate was very thin, pizza huts seem pretty big, so I can imagine how much kcal it had...

Yeah...all in all I agree that 220 is probably somewhat too high for what you're describing. But (depending on toppings, etc), it's probably not so egregiously wrong that it's going to significantly throw off your day or anything.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Yeah...all in all I agree that 220 is probably somewhat too high for what you're describing. But (depending on toppings, etc), it's probably not so egregiously wrong that it's going to significantly throw off your day or anything.

Definitely. I think we were all confused by the original post with the typo of inches - definitely makes more sense now!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Yes, the pan pizzas have a thicker crust. Their "thin 'n crispy" pizzas are, well, thin (and crispy) but they don't come in 6" versions. You could do the whole πr^2 thing to compare the area of your pizza and the area of a medium thin 'n crispy and then extrapolate the calorie count but that may be going overboard. (Though now that I'm thinking about it, it actually sounds like fun and I will likely finish this post and then go do the math.)

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    From the data base here looks like your looking at 300 to 550 cal per pizza, 6 inch.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    it does depend on what you eat

deep pan, italian, hand tossed, a million different variations

plus the cheese is used (mozzarella, provolone, both?), the sauce and what's on obviously

for that size of european pizza, thin and with no extra cheese or sauces, you are looking at 800 cals at a minimum for a margherita, to split in prob 4-6 slices

100 grams of roasted veg on top = 50 extra calories
    100 grams of sausage = 350 extra calories

so it depends
  • Oflamez
    Oflamez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    20 g of fat in the slice = 180 calories. 10 gram of cooking oil and 25 g of 40%fat cheese, really easy to add up, also the dough is probably 50% carb.
  • Oflamez
    Oflamez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    pizza tastes good for a reason - easy digestible huge calories - what our primitive brains want - lots of easy calories - small effort to digest lots of energy = survival . Our biological bodies have been going trough a million years of scarce food, food overload is a modern phenom of maybe 100 years compared to 1 million years of food being scarce and getting fat for bad times being desirable for survival.