What exactly does your logging streak mean?

Options
During the days leading up to Thanksgiving, there was a thread about whether or not people would log their food on Thanksgiving. One user mentioned something about logging in to keep her streak alive, but without the intention of actually logging anything. Wait, what? Shouldn’t a logging streak entail…logging? This caused me to question the entire concept: for MFP users, what does a logging streak actually signify?

As I am typing this, I have a 916 day streak. This represents logging my food and exercise every day for 916 consecutive days, not that I just opened the MFP site on my phone or laptop for 916 days in row. My assumption was that this was the way all streaks were constructed; so am I congratulating my friends that hit streak milestones every 5 days for actually doing something to improve their health or for just accessing the site?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you congratulate someone for logging, you have no idea of whether or not they are logging to your standards (unless, I guess, their diary is open and you verify their results each day).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The logging streak is just for logging into the site or app, period. You don't have to actually log any food or exercise.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    During the days leading up to Thanksgiving, there was a thread about whether or not people would log their food on Thanksgiving. One user mentioned something about logging in to keep her streak alive, but without the intention of actually logging anything. Wait, what? Shouldn’t a logging streak entail…logging? This caused me to question the entire concept: for MFP users, what does a logging streak actually signify?

As I am typing this, I have a 916 day streak. This represents logging my food and exercise every day for 916 consecutive days, not that I just opened the MFP site on my phone or laptop for 916 days in row. My assumption was that this was the way all streaks were constructed; so am I congratulating my friends that hit streak milestones every 5 days for actually doing something to improve their health or for just accessing the site?

I haven't logged for several months...yet it counts my streak based on days I log into the site or open the app on my phone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i never really cared...i never viewed logging into a website as some kind of great accomplishment. i haven't kept a diary in over 2 1/2 years so my streak is just me getting on line...yeah me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I was traveling in May 2014 and lost my streak despite logging every day. At that time, the Android app only sometimes counted my login for some reason.

Last week, my streak reset because I was hiking / backpacking in the wilderness and there was too long that I had no cell signal. Isn't it ironic that I'm doing physical activity, and that is the reason I lost my streak?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I apologize - my question was rhetorical, I fully understand that a logging streak on MFP does not necessarily indicate an actual logging streak
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I apologize - my question was rhetorical, I fully understand that a logging streak on MFP does not necessarily indicate an actual logging streak

Well... I would think a streak of at least accessing the site/app probably puts your friends into a sub-group of people who are more conscious about their diet and exercise than the population in general. So even if not specifically logging, you can think of that as being worth your 'congratulations!'
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I only concern myself with my logging as a means for me to stay accountable, and I like metrics so this allows me to see personal trends. As for other people's logging, that's their responsibility, and not my place to judge or critique them on how they are using this tool. I congratulate them on long streaks as many users in this community enjoy the support, and I hope my support keeps them motivated towards continuing to work towards their goals. If all they are doing is logging into a website and not logging their food, it doesn't bother me. I'm glad they found a site they enjoy lol. We share a common interest in health and wellness material :smile:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't think it means much. I'm 5 or 6 days away from hitting 365. It annoys me for some reason. I'm going to go ahead and let it hit 365 and then try to remember to not login to MFP at all after that for a day so it resets.

This is similar to the question of what does it mean to "complete" your food diary at the end of the day. Absolutely nothing. The only thing you get out of it is the relatively meaningless 5 week prediction. People get bent out of shape when they get the MFP nastygram saying that they didn't eat enough and the way around that is so simple--just don't hit the Complete button.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It means I need a better hobby.

*member of the 1000+ day club*
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    As if we don't already have enough to obsess about, MFP gives us one more that is pretty much meaningless. It's important in the same way that perfect attendance was in school, except you don't get an award at graduation. And after all, who could ever forget good ol' what's-his-name who won that award? That's how inspiring long streaks are.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Your logging streak should be when you've actually completed your food diary for the day. When I first signed up, that's what I thought the streak meant. Then I learned it's just for logging in...that's stupid. What's the point? If it doesn't make you accountable then why even have it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your logging streak should be when you've actually completed your food diary for the day. When I first signed up, that's what I thought the streak meant. Then I learned it's just for logging in...that's stupid. What's the point? If it doesn't make you accountable then why even have it.

But logging doesn't make me particularly accountable either. I could always log less than what I ate or leave some things off or choose generic entries that aren't accurate.

It's simply a way to reward what the site wants -- daily visits. It isn't any sort of moral accounting or evaluation.
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Logging streak reminds me how well I've done and how long I have kept myself going :) very motivating!
    But I lost my streak recently due to no internet and it was so disappointing :s
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I have not logged a diary in over 2.5 years...I'm still accountable to myself. Believe it or not, it is quite possible to be healthy and fit and eat well without logging a single thing in a diary. Keeping a diary is a great tool to help one identify what their diet actually looks like and it can show them what they can do to make changes to improve their diet...but really I find it akin to training wheels on a bike; eventually you just learn to ride without them. I've never viewed logging a diary to be the be all and end all of living a healthful life. It's just a teaching tool.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I consider the logging streak as a mostly useless motivational tool like the thing that tells you how much you will weigh in 5 weeks. Some people like to see those numbers. Some people feel important for having a higher logging streak number. Other people don't care.

Someone could be just logging into the site or logging food but going over or under their calorie goal every day and still have a logging streak. A logging streak doesn't equal improved health.
    You'd have to monitor your friends to see if their logging streak is something you consider worthy of congratulating.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My streak is important to me, it's counting everyday that I put my health as a priority. I log every single bite (as best I can) and I've been doing it for almost 200 days! So for me personally it's logging my food (my fitbit is synced for my activities).
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    It means I need a better hobby.

*member of the 1000+ day club*

1,126 days here, and yes, I couldn't agree more with this! xD
    I log very consistently seeing as when I skip a day, I seem to eat WAY more food than I should. That being said, I'm totally guilty of logging on on days I can't log just to keep my streak, although I generally use the database anyways to get caloric estimates when I can.
    I feel like it's just something there meant to motivate you, but once you get past a certain number some weird pride/achievement thing sets in and you become OCD about it.
    I feel bad for people who lose this streak by doing physical activity (hiking, for instance, as someone mentioned earlier). I feel like once I lose my streak (my power goes out quite a bit so it could be in a matter of weeks if we get snow soon) I'll probably stop obsessing over it, but for the time being I'm determined to see how far I get!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    All you need to do to get a "logging streak" is to open MFP. Therefore, I do not congratulate anyone for that.

As for what my logging streak means ... it indicates how long I have been logging my food intake as accurately as I can since my last significant diet break which took place over about 3-4 weeks in June/July.

I am planning to take another diet break of about 2 weeks over Christmas. Chances are I will lose my streak then and restart if I decide to resume logging after Christmas.
  • Samone5
    Samone5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To me, my logging streak signifies that I'm working towards something. It's days that I am thinking about being healthy and fitter. The day that I forget to log, whether I actually put something or not, is the day that I forgot to put this journey first.