Logging for life?

Options
Just curious what people plan on doing after losing weight and reaching goal. Will you continue to log at maintenance? I'm a long way from my goal weight but if I don't log, I overeat it's as simple as that. I'm either logging or gaining weight? So I can't imagine not logging and staying successful, but the thought of logging forever seems so daunting!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining since July and I still log daily. It works for me because I like to eat a lot of different foods and logging keeps me in the calorie range I know I need to be in. I've lost weight before and regained it. Since I find logging to be pretty easy, it was an easy decision for me to continue to do it.

But I also know there are many successful maintainers who no longer log daily. If you find it daunting, I think there are ways you can avoid it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    lisah180 wrote: »
    Just curious what people plan on doing after losing weight and reaching goal. Will you continue to log at maintenance? I'm a long way from my goal weight but if I don't log, I overeat it's as simple as that. I'm either logging or gaining weight? So I can't imagine not logging and staying successful, but the thought of logging forever seems so daunting!

I haven't logged consistently in several months now.

The caveat being, if I find myself not maintaining where I want to, I will start again.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'll need to log for life. If "estimating and hoping" worked, I wouldn't be where I was.
  • joelo_83
    joelo_83 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    331 day streak here. It's more habit now than anything else at this point. Helps keep track of things tho
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,609 Member
    Options
    I don't care how long I've been at this (a long time), if there's free food in front of me, I'll eat it. Logging keeps me honest...and not having to do the math in my head.

When this computer fad is over, I'll go back to using a pen and paper. :)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I plan on logging forever. Just hoping for the best has never worked for me in the past. Once I lose this weight there is no way in @#*& I'm ever going to gain it back. Honestly I've been doing this for 8 months now and its not a big deal. It only takes about 3 minutes a day. That is a small price to pay for "skinny" in my opinion.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I logged only for about 3 months/-25 lbs. I am a consistent eater and carry around d a "template" in my head of what I can eat for each meal & snacks. I've done an additional 15 months/-95 lbs like this. I've logged 2-3 weeks this entire time, just to make sure I'm on track. I've seen losses every month and had no plateaus, although I do fluctuate a lot from week to week. Clearly, this doesn't work for most people, but just saying it IS possible not to log. Before I started, I came to terms with the fact that I would need to make changes I could stick with for life. For. Ever.
    SW 301
    CW 181
    GW 150
    18 mo.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'll be logging in some way for the rest of my life (unless there is a cure to type 1 diabetes -it looks like we're closer than ever). With current treatment, I need to be able to identify how many carbs I am eating in order to adjust my insulin dosages, and MFP is the quickest way for me to do so.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for over 2.5 years and don't log or otherwise keep a diary. My POV has always been that logging and keeping a diary is a great teaching tool...but like anything you learn how to do, eventually you should just be able to do it.

Logging helped me to learn proper portion control and showed me initially how unbalanced my diet was...logging taught me a lot about nutrition in general and I have taken everything I learned into maintenance and have had no issues at all.

If all goes well, I'll be alive for another 40-50 years or more...I really don't think it realistic that I would actually keep a food diary for the next 50 years.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I find the data I get from logging really fascinating, so I will probably continue doing it. Plus, I think I will always have some kind of "goal" whether it is weight or fitness or body comp related that will be helped by logging. And as someone else said, it takes me maybe 5 minutes a day. The biggest problem is when I log my food, i then "glance" at the forums and end up wasting half an hour here :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

I don't know. I've been logging for 407 days. It doesn't feel like a big deal to me to keep doing it. Forever is a log time though. I could see reaching my goal and after maintaining for awhile starting to log less frequently as long as my weight stays stable. I don't think I'll get to my goal weight and stop logging that day.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I like structure, and MFP gives me a framework within which to operate. I'm no longer eating what or how much I feel like eating, with the calories and weight slowly creeping up. Plus it helps me meet my protein goals. I anticipate that logging will be a way of life, and I'm very ok with that.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm a healthy BMI (and was only overweight for a brief stint due to illness) and contue to log. I would like to lose vanity weight, but it's not a priority. I log for a few main reasons. The first being that it keeps me mindful about what I am putting in my body. The second is that I love metrics. This gives me the ability to track my calories, macros, and micronutrients. I no longer have health issues, and do not take medication (meaning I don't require medication, not that I'm adverse to it if necessary). Most days I feel good physically, and on days I don't (ie low energy, stomach not great, etc) I can look at my diary and see what I've been eating leading up to the days I don't feel great. Usually it is a consistent lack of protien, sometimes fat, or a sugar overload the previous day. I can then make sure I up whatever I've been deficient in, or consume less of something I've been eating to much of. So far, this has worked out well. The other reason why I continue to log is for health. If I should ever have problem arise, this is just more information to give the doctor. Our bodies are complex systems that are dependent upon us to ensure they get the proper nutrients to function. I feel that many conditions are brought on by what consume or don't consume, and by having everything logged, there could be a dietary reason for why I am visiting the doctor. It takes less than five minutes a day to log, and the benefits are well worth that time for me. I'm not getting any younger, and I want to remain as healthy as I can for as long as I can. I don't want to diminish the quality of my life (activity level, general comfort, etc) because I made poor food choices.
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    I think that I will have to keep logging. I lost weight a couple of years ago, stopped logging, kept it off for a while, but it slowly crept back on again. This time, I think that I will have to keep logging.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm more or less maintaining right now but I plan to lose a little more so I'm still logging.

That being said, I may end up logging for a long while. I'll probably estimate more often vs. just weighing and see how I do, and, if my weight holds within the range I want, I could call it good and stop.

Stress, anxiety and depression can have a huge impact on my appetite and food choices, though, so continuing to log has been very helpful. I track the numbers in a spreadsheet and have a Fitbit that does a very good job of estimating my calorie burn. Between MFP and Fitbit, I can see if my weight should be going up or down. I know that I have a weight range, and I know that high amounts of sodium over the course of several days can mean I'll see a jump due to water weight, but having the intake & burn numbers gives me one more piece of info. If my weight goes up and the numbers show that I'm on track to start gaining, I work on getting back to a deficit.

November was tough, plus there was Thanksgiving, with several yummy foods I only get on holidays. I may have gained a pound over the course of the month, and that's OK. I have the numbers, and I can get back to my routine and go back to a deficit if the weight does stick around.

~Lyssa
  • rustyquinn
    rustyquinn Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I have a while to reach my goal. I will probably have to continue to log in. I have counted calories in the past and didn't maintain and gained. It will be a life style change.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I expect to be doing it for life. Might be able to take breaks here and there but I have a lifelong issue with food. If I could not get it under control on my own in the first 45 years I hardly think I will do so over the next 30 or so.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't want to log forever, and I'm a long way from goal too. But i need something to keep me honest and focused. So I'm logging everything but trying to learn rough calorie counts for my favorite foods. My favorite breakfast is 400 cals, a small latte is 150 cals, 2 slices of bread is 200 cals etc. That way I'll soon be able to keep a good mental track - i hope!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm about 20 lbs. from my goal and am training myself to eat right without logging. Mostly I lost my weight through exercising and ball parking my calories, and actually eat more now then I used to.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Also check out the "hunger fullness scale" - Im totally disconnected from my natural hunger cues but this is really helpful. My kids eat their dinner but often finish by saying "Mum, I'm full". They know when they've had enough. I need to relearn that.