New beginning!

Options
I thought I'd give a little backstory to understand where I'm at now. Rewind several years ago- I decided to start eating healthier, exercise and lose some weight. I lost 20 pounds, and it felt/looked amazing. I was so proud, but faced some personal and emotional struggles not too long after losing all that weight. I started to "eat my feelings" and it led me to gain around 40 pounds! So that's where I'm at now, trying to get back onto the wagon and find other ways to address my emotions. I am having trouble not binging- and sometimes I convince myself that I never will look as good as I did- so what's the point? There's stretch marks all over my breasts, thighs, butt and even my calves. And it's true, I won't ever look exactly the same. But you know what? Some people have to live their lives without any legs. I am thankful to have legs, even with stretch marks all over them. Looking from a more positive perspective has helped me through the start of this new journey- to be thankful for what I do have. My goal is to become healthier, more in-tune with my body, and lose some of that weight again. And I appreciate everyone in this community of people for being supportive. :)

Replies

• mzkvg
    mzkvg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have learned personally that your thought process is the most important tool to loose weight. Im very insecure with my body image. Im short and round in my midsection. I too have stretch marks but at this point I don't care about them i just want to be smaller than I am now. So here's tips I use for myself.
    Use an event to encourage eating habits so I can fit into clothes I can't fit into now. For example I have concert in February. I want to wear old pair of jeans so that will help me before I eat late night snack & make better food choices. For short term I remind myself "I am not the same size as the person I'm eating with" so I can't eat how they eat. I have to eat smaller portions, no bread and add stick to proteins. Now I still let myself have cheat day. 1 day I will go to just a cheat meal. I only eat my calories not drink them. You have to love yourself before anyone can truly love you. Remind yourself all the great qualities you have INSIDE. Your out word appearance will enhance who you as a great person on the inside. I hope this helps
  • kaimbf123
    kaimbf123 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    mzkvg wrote: »
    Hi, I have learned personally that your thought process is the most important tool to loose weight. Im very insecure with my body image. Im short and round in my midsection. I too have stretch marks but at this point I don't care about them i just want to be smaller than I am now. So here's tips I use for myself.
    Use an event to encourage eating habits so I can fit into clothes I can't fit into now. For example I have concert in February. I want to wear old pair of jeans so that will help me before I eat late night snack & make better food choices. For short term I remind myself "I am not the same size as the person I'm eating with" so I can't eat how they eat. I have to eat smaller portions, no bread and add stick to proteins. Now I still let myself have cheat day. 1 day I will go to just a cheat meal. I only eat my calories not drink them. You have to love yourself before anyone can truly love you. Remind yourself all the great qualities you have INSIDE. Your out word appearance will enhance who you as a great person on the inside. I hope this helps

Thank you, yes I definitely agree
  • kaimbf123
    Options
    I think my post got cut off! I said something along the lines of- Thank you, yes I agree! I am a work in progress, but something I have learned in this process is that I must accept and love where I am at now before I can achieve (and maintain!! Key word here) my potentially slim and healthy self. You must love yourself enough to do what's best for you. Loving yourself also means facing your emotions head-on, not putting anything in place of that. That's what I will get right this time! It's not just a weight loss journey, it's a mental one.
  • mzkvg
    mzkvg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like that statement "it's not a weight loss journey, it's a mental one" that sums it all up! I would like to add you as a friend but uh I can't figure how to add anyone Lol!!
  • kaimbf123
    Options
    mzkvg wrote: »
    I like that statement "it's not a weight loss journey, it's a mental one" that sums it all up! I would like to add you as a friend but uh I can't figure how to add anyone Lol!!
    Haha, I just just recently figured out actually :D Click on my name/pic, then click the picture of a blue little person with a + sign to add me!
  • deneenae
    deneenae Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yay for new beginnings! Feel free to add me for support. I'm pretty active on MFP and I have an open diary if you wanna take a looksie. Not perfect... But hey, who is? I agree with the journey bit. Took me a long time to come to terms with my eating...
  • kaimbf123
    Options
    deneenae wrote: »
    Yay for new beginnings! Feel free to add me for support. I'm pretty active on MFP and I have an open diary if you wanna take a looksie. Not perfect... But hey, who is? I agree with the journey bit. Took me a long time to come to terms with my eating...

Just added you :) Also another thing I am working on, the first time I lost all the weight- I did try to do it "perfectly." But that only made it difficult to maintain in the long run. I find the strict rules to be counterproductive for a life-long change.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with that 100%! I got sucked into the perfection bug last time too. Everything had to be perfect and calories had to fit into an exact range until it became obsessive and then...BINGE! I'm looking forward to taking the slow and steady route for life as well, and incorporate both broccoli and cookies :)
  • kaimbf123
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    I agree with that 100%! I got sucked into the perfection bug last time too. Everything had to be perfect and calories had to fit into an exact range until it became obsessive and then...BINGE! I'm looking forward to taking the slow and steady route for life as well, and incorporate both broccoli and cookies :)

Exactly. Amen to that!