Water with meals

Options
Does anyone here not drink liquids with meals to help digestion? Just curious if it helps with gerd or other issues.

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I don't drink 20 minutes before a meal or 45 minutes after. I may sip a little wine on a special occasion, but I generally prefer my wine after I've eaten. Fluid moves the food through my stomach more quickly and that means I get hungry more quickly. So I don't do it. I take smaller bites and eat more slowly and haven't had any real issues. My GERD issues faded when I stopped fluids with meals, but that's my experience. I don't know that there's any evidence it's anything other than my own n=1.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As a post Bariatric patient I must not drink with my meals. I hydrate the rest of the day.

The Chinese think green tea helps with digestion.

Personally I find a shot glass of Kefir seems to help my digestion.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I read and now trying no drinks 30 minutes before or 90 minutes afterwards so the acid is in its normal pH range.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Take one each Enzymedica Digest Gold with each meal. No worries. :)
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I sip green tea with some meals (decaf with dinner). Really any tea you are just sipping. I tend to like something to wash down the food, but usually not in great quantities. We don't serve milk with meals, for example.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins do you filter the sources of these claims at all?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat and drink at the same time. I usually eat OR drink. It makes me too full otherwise.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lol. Gastric pH returns to normal after drinking a full glass of water in about 3-4 minutes.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Honestly I've never heard of the idea that not drinking helps with digestion.

I drink when I'm thirsty...I don't when I'm not.

I don't have any digestion issues.

Take what you will from that.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have to drink water while I eat because the food gets stuck in my chest. Maybe because I don't break it down much .
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I have to drink water while I eat because the food gets stuck in my chest. Maybe because I don't break it down much .
    Do you eat a lot of dry food? I find I have to have water if I'm eating dryer food like bread or potatoes. No matter how much I chew sometimes it just gets stuck.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options

Me too .. and I drink water only when iam thirst - while iam eating too_ no problems here.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Do you eat a lot of dry food? I find I have to have water if I'm eating dryer food like bread or potatoes. No matter how much I chew sometimes it just gets stuck.

Try smaller bites? Works for me!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

@jgnatca this source and others indicate drinking water and eating sugar with meals can be an issue for some people.

niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/dumping-syndrome/Pages/facts.aspx
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I only drink during meals to wash out the taste of a food before I eat another one, lol.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Me neither. It takes 6+ hours for food to go through your stomach and small intestine. It seems like it would be impossible to prevent the mixing of liquids and solids, unless you maintain a pretty strict drinking/eating schedule.

I always have a beverage with dinner. Mostly water but sometimes iced tea and, once in a while, pop.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

@jgnatca this source and others indicate drinking water and eating sugar with meals can be an issue for some people.

niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/dumping-syndrome/Pages/facts.aspx

The majority of people with this syndrome have had gastric bypass surgery.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Yes which confirms drinking water/sugar (juice, etc) can impact digestion if we overfill our stomachs. No wonder drinking two glasses of sugar/water (coke, etc) can lead to digestive health issues for non gastric bypass people.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Yes which confirms drinking water/sugar (juice, etc) can impact digestion if we overfill our stomachs. No wonder drinking two glasses of sugar/water (coke, etc) can lead to digestive health issues for non gastric bypass people.

Wut. That's not what the article says at all.

Do have any evidence for these claims, or are you just making things up again.