Weight Watchers (my theory).

Options
2»

Replies

• BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I loved Weight Watchers. Lost 40 lbs on it about 8 years ago, and kept most of that off to this day. The meetings were supportive and felt like a "safe space" where you could be at one with your struggle, and get advice or just sympathetic head nods from other real, struggling, 3-D people. The leaders I had over the years never pushed the WW products. They were more like "I'm supposed to tell you that this cookbook is on sale this week!" and then move on. I wish I could go to WW meetings now, but can't find one at a time that's even close to convenient.

What I learned on WW was how to pay attention to what I was eating and how much I was moving. It may seem like a no-brainer to a bunch of people already ON MFP, but back then I was pretty clueless. I learned a LOT, and truly my entire way of thinking about food, calories, fat, fiber, etc. changed drastically for the better.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight doing WW years ago (before they came out with the WW app). I didn't go to the meetings because it was a waste of MY time and I didn't need a counselor or leader to cheer or motivate me. I just got the point books so I can look up my foods and log manually. I found MFP was a lot easier to log and track food without paper and pen. Both work the same and I had good results with both. MFP is a lot more convenient for me.
  • jthompson2006
    jthompson2006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Look for a TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) chapter in your area. There is one that meets in my town. It's like $20 for a year of weekly meetings.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've known more than 5 people IRL who lost over 50 lbs with Weight Watchers. These people did not measure everything, one lady worked nights and babysat her grandchildren during the day, she ate fast food around the clock.

My biggest beef with WW is that the program was not really explained to me.

YMMV as far as what is pushed. My leader does not push Smart Ones. When I told her I liked the Smart Ones cheese thin pizza she told me I could get the same item at a restaurant for similar points.

I thought I would be receiving information on balanced meals. That is what I need!

It's not what I thought but the meetings are great for learning how to navigate the big bad world of fattening food tempting us at every corner 24x7.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've never been a member of WW but I've read many threads concerning it because I was considering joining, not for the points but for the meetings. It's not that I need someone to hold my hand & reward me, it's that I have no social life because of my disability & figure that a group of local's, whom have the same interests/goals as me; would be a great avenue to acquire "associates", instead of "friends" because friends require so much more attention weekly, than someone that I'll only interact with; once a week & the associate relationship is built upon one specific subject/hobby (this has become a hobby for me, sort of like with the people; that go to car shows but don't have anything to do with each other, beyond that one hobby/interest).

Here's what I figure, concerning what I've read:

1 When WW members came to MFP & calculated what they consumed via their points, into calories here; they where under 1200 (for women) & exercise put them under, even further; hence why so many complain about feeling starving. I assume WW did/does this because if you under eat, you're more than likely to binge & thus not meet your weekly weight goal. If they keep you overweight, they keep you needy & thus they keep you paying.

2 I believe that the introduction of "free fruits", was meant to corral those; that didn't binge and/or binge enough, to put them over; their weekly goal weight. Fitness/nutrition isn't common sense & this possibly convinced some, to think that they can eat a ridiculous amount of fruits & still lose weight, only for that not to be so; when they get on the scale.

3 They don't factor in weight fluctuations via water retention, etc., so that they; charge you for that (If your a lifetime member & don't stay within 2 pounds, of your goal weight; when maintaining). I think this tactic just makes a person, feel defeated & then subsequently gain weight because of it, then attempt again to lose weight; via WW. This seems to me, to be an abusive relationship, that induces Stockholm Syndrome (WW helps one lose some weight because one did actually lose weight, WW will blame you (penalize you) & so those members'll also then, blame themselves; when their weight naturally fluctuates, they can't stick to under eating and/or overeat "free fruits" & can't attain/maintain their goal weight). myfitnesspal.com/blog/annekenlon/view/i-m-breaking-up-with-you-weight-watchers-but-can-we-still-be-friends-757840

4 Their meetings are more like "Tupperware parties" because they have their products on display, for sale & peddle them to you, during their meetings.

5 Another issue concerns cancelling the membership, I've read complaints from former members; about their inability to cancel their membership & still having automatic payments occur, after their cancellation. So I'd recommend (if possible) only using a gift card and/or a debit card, that you only put enough funds on; to cover known withdrawals & don't allow overdrafts, for that card (if applicable).

Any business that's charging you, isn't there for your benefit; just their own! Basically they want you to lose some weight but they don't want you, to maintain; that loss because then they'd go out of business, since their best customers; appear to be repeat customers. It's your responsibility to make the program benefit you, more than them. It's sort of like with grocery shopping, you can pay full price & get less for your money or you can acquire a member card (if applicable), go through their circular/competitors circulars, buy only on sale items/price match, clip corresponding coupons for those on sale items & stock up, so that you won't run out & then have to pay regular price & also without a coupon.

To me the price of the meetings only, seems reasonable because they have a brick & mortar store, to fund. However it's still above my current budget, so I'll ponder joining; within a few months. If I did join, I wouldn't use their points; I'd use CICO here (which would also ensure, that I achieve my expected weight loss there; as well) & if I did buy a consumable item, that they offer; I'd consider it a "treat" (as I do with Atkins/Slim Fast products).

OBVIOUSLY you don't know what you are talking about...
    So if you don't get to your goal, tracking cals for X reason MFP is to blame????

• rustyquinn
    rustyquinn Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I had lost 40lbs. With WW. In the past and gained it back.

I had a few problems. I was I wasn't eating my exercise pts. I was losing 4-5lbs a week and my hair was falling out. I had no counselling on this issue I had asked of it was okay to lose weight like that. They didn't really give me an answer

I was to eat 22-24pts was about 1100-1200 calories. For my height and job need about 1500. I didn't care for the leader it seemed like she was jealous of my losses.

I still think ww is a decent weight loss program.
    I just think our leader..... For lack of better words.....sucked.

Mfp is better ;)

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've lost the same 30 pounds 3 times: once on my own, once on MFP and once on WW, but it's always my own fault I don't stick with it, so here I am for Round 4. I liked Weight Watchers for the year I was on it. My employer subsidized memberships a couple years ago, I joined, I lost the 30 pounds and made goal, the points system worked, I was seldom hungry and felt that I learned a lot about food. I also tried a lot of foods I had never eaten before and really liked some of them (steel-cut oats... yum!). I "fell off the wagon" due to my own carelessness on an extended vacation and then I was too cheap to go back and have to pay for meetings again until I got back to goal. The meetings were okay... not great, but that will depend on individual opinions. The location had several leaders but there was only one whose meetings I enjoyed. I agree with the poster above that the leader never seemed to be "pushing" WW products, she just mentioned them in passing like it was something she needed to check off her to-do list (which it probably was). For someone who is looking for in-person support, I think the meetings would be helpful... if you go to the same one every week, you'll find the same folks and you might strike up some friendships. The on-line tools were similar to MFP's.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers; it was just a struggle. For me, MFP is better because I can actually see the calories for every single thing going into my mouth. I had a great group for awhile, just wonderful supportive people that motivated, but when I moved the next group wasn't as good. Plus all their foods are processed, and while I bought them thinking that it would help, it just wasn't good for me. After the leader of my second group, when I approached her almost in tears because I had been below my points goal but was barely losing weight, tell me that I might be starving myself and to 'treat myself to a piece of pizza if I'm below my points' I was out of there. Plus by the end I would be shaking by the time I stepped on the scale I was so scared of the numbers.

I find for me that MFP, building a solid network on my own, as well as utilizing my FitBit goals (with another network there to challenge me) has been working better with less sterss. But everyone motivates and loses weight differently. I saw people like me attempt WW and then leave; but at the same time I saw several people who hit their goal weight using WW. If someone doesn't like WW it's not a crime, just the same as those who stand behind WW.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I personally don't find any difference between WW and MFP in terms of how well it works and likelihood of losing weight and keeping it off. It's just tracking to me on either plan, the harder part is sticking with it. I don't think either program is better than the other or that I ate/eat any differently on one versus the other.

I did WW for a billion years, meetings and online. I did WW the most recent time beginning in 2009 and up until this past spring. I lost ~115 pounds and have kept it off for 3+ years. I switched to MFP earlier this year because WW's app and website are terrible and MFP is free. Otherwise, they're the same to me.

I liked meetings and if you are looking for a more social component, you will probably enjoy meetings. Check out a few. Or don't. In the end your success on any weight loss program is primarily contingent on you and not the people around you. Good luck.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    If you join WW and still use CICO, I think it is a complete waste of money. WW is based on points. The app and their whole system works on points. I get it that it is basically calorie counting, but it is still their point system. The WW boards are great. They have some of the nicest motivating people. I would image the meetings are the same. The WW blogs are great. Some really great successful people contributing. The app was ok for the tracking points but you will find you need to be adding alot of custom foods. MFP database is by far the better. I had no problem canceling.

Whatever you do...stick with it. Do what makes it easier for you. I think you would benefit with sticking with MFP and adding more active friends.

"Food is not your remedy for problems. Food is not going to change your life. ... If you're going to lose weight, you have to do it by changing your way of thinking about food. It cannot be the highlight of your life."

• RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a WW member and counting calories here.
    My health insurance is paying for 6 months of weight watchers meetings as long as I lose weight (min half pound per week on average and attend a weekly meeting). I pay with coupons the my insurance sends me so I don't get access to the etools...I don't think. I called to ask my insurance what my benefits were for weight loss assistance and they told me they paid for weight watchers. I figured why not.
    I track every food including the so called free ones. My leader suggested only having two servings of fruit as free per day and then counting anything in excess of that. Technically, Avocados are a fruit and they are not free. Not all vegetables are free either. I don't buy any of their packaged foods and so far none of the leaders who have been overseeing the meetings I have gone to have pushed any of the products. I sort of take that back she did mention that they had only a few fitbits left in stock. It wasn't in a infomercial type way
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I started w ww lost 30lbs but they came back and pretty fast too my thoughts are if it works for you good but counting points and going to meetings was tough for me felt like a second job mfp is much easier
    Btw hated the ww snacks and food it always tasted artificially sweetened and too salty
    Not really a big fan of the meetings and giving out gold stars etc for when u lose weight either they were always selling some merchandise and not really felt connected with the people there but thats my feeling
    Ww have worked for a lot of my friends and even family members but its not for me
  • Luciadis19
    Luciadis19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I didn't care for the meetings. The paper clip for each pound lost and stickers were a little childish imo. One time, since i was new, everyone took their name tags off and made them into a ball for me to take home.

Since i wasnt staying for the meeting, i was basically just paying for someone to weigh me, so i stopped going and did the plan on my own. I lost 12 pounds and got burned out with counting points so i switched to this!
  • wallingf
    wallingf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've never been a member of WW but I've read many threads concerning it because I was considering joining, not for the points but for the meetings. It's not that I need someone to hold my hand & reward me, it's that I have no social life because of my disability & figure that a group of local's, whom have the same interests/goals as me; would be a great avenue to acquire "associates", instead of "friends" because friends require so much more attention weekly, than someone that I'll only interact with; once a week & the associate relationship is built upon one specific subject/hobby (this has become a hobby for me, sort of like with the people; that go to car shows but don't have anything to do with each other, beyond that one hobby/interest).

1 When WW members came to MFP & calculated what they consumed via their points, into calories here; they where under 1200 (for women) & exercise put them under, even further; hence why so many complain about feeling starving. I assume WW did/does this because if you under eat, you're more than likely to binge & thus not meet your weekly weight goal. If they keep you overweight, they keep you needy & thus they keep you paying.

2 I believe that the introduction of "free fruits", was meant to corral those; that didn't binge and/or binge enough, to put them over; their weekly goal weight. Fitness/nutrition isn't common sense & this possibly convinced some, to think that they can eat a ridiculous amount of fruits & still lose weight, only for that not to be so; when they get on the scale.

3 They don't factor in weight fluctuations via water retention, etc., so that they; charge you for that (If your a lifetime member & don't stay within 2 pounds, of your goal weight; when maintaining). I think this tactic just makes a person, feel defeated & then subsequently gain weight because of it, then attempt again to lose weight; via WW. This seems to me, to be an abusive relationship, that induces Stockholm Syndrome (WW helps one lose some weight because one did actually lose weight, WW will blame you (penalize you) & so those members'll also then, blame themselves; when their weight naturally fluctuates, they can't stick to under eating and/or overeat "free fruits" & can't attain/maintain their goal weight). myfitnesspal.com/blog/annekenlon/view/i-m-breaking-up-with-you-weight-watchers-but-can-we-still-be-friends-757840

4 Their meetings are more like "Tupperware parties" because they have their products on display, for sale & peddle them to you, during their meetings.

5 Another issue concerns cancelling the membership, I've read complaints from former members; about their inability to cancel their membership & still having automatic payments occur, after their cancellation. So I'd recommend (if possible) only using a gift card and/or a debit card, that you only put enough funds on; to cover known withdrawals & don't allow overdrafts, for that card (if applicable).

Any business that's charging you, isn't there for your benefit; just their own! Basically they want you to lose some weight but they don't want you, to maintain; that loss because then they'd go out of business, since their best customers; appear to be repeat customers. It's your responsibility to make the program benefit you, more than them. It's sort of like with grocery shopping, you can pay full price & get less for your money or you can acquire a member card (if applicable), go through their circular/competitors circulars, buy only on sale items/price match, clip corresponding coupons for those on sale items & stock up, so that you won't run out & then have to pay regular price & also without a coupon.

To me the price of the meetings only, seems reasonable because they have a brick & mortar store, to fund. However it's still above my current budget, so I'll ponder joining; within a few months. If I did join, I wouldn't use their points; I'd use CICO here (which would also ensure, that I achieve my expected weight loss there; as well) & if I did buy a consumable item, that they offer; I'd consider it a "treat" (as I do with Atkins/Slim Fast products).

1 - Most likely because they were not following the program properly and fulfilling their "healthy guidelines". If you eat all your points, plus 5-6 fruits and vegetables, you will NOT be under 1200 calories. The fewest points you can EVER get is 26. A point is about 40 calories. That means 1040 in calories, plus about 200-400+ in fruits and veggies. Total - 1240-1440.....at the very lowest. And if you're hungry, you do get an extra 49 points a week....which is another 280 calories (on average) a day.

2 - Fruit and vegetables are NOT unlimited and free. Anyone telling you this is not paying attention at WW.

3 - Wait....WW is abusing people because they want them to keep the weight off?! So how much should people be able to put back on before they do charge them? Three pounds? Five pounds? What is the magic number?

4 - Agreed. I just ignore it.

5 - LOL, I've cancelled my WW membership 3 times over the past 10 years. Never had a problem. But you cant call and cancel once you've been charged and they charge about 2 weeks ahead. So you need to plan ahead.

Also, WW will take a doctor's note for your goal weight....even if that puts you 10, 20, 30 etc pounds over your recommended BMI. Once you hit that weight, you are then lifetime and don't have to pay. So if you have been very overweight all your life and your doctor is happy to let you be 50lbs over your recommended BMI, WW says "Great! If this is where your doctor wants you, then you can continue to come and no longer pay us". That doesn't sound like a company that is trying to keep their members overweight so they can "keep them paying".

I will say, it sounds like you have formulated a very negative view of the WW business model, though, and therefore WW would probably NOT be a good place for you. You would be more focused on how they were "trying to keep you overweight" than learning how to eat properly....and that would not be beneficial to you or them. If you don't need the meetings and weekly weigh-ins, I don't know why you wouldn't just use MFP.

• Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    wallingf wrote: »

1 - Most likely because they were not following the program properly and fulfilling their "healthy guidelines". If you eat all your points, plus 5-6 fruits and vegetables, you will NOT be under 1200 calories. The fewest points you can EVER get is 26. A point is about 40 calories. That means 1040 in calories, plus about 200-400+ in fruits and veggies. Total - 1240-1440.....at the very lowest. And if you're hungry, you do get an extra 49 points a week....which is another 280 calories (on average) a day.

2 - Fruit and vegetables are NOT unlimited and free. Anyone telling you this is not paying attention at WW.

3 - Wait....WW is abusing people because they want them to keep the weight off?! So how much should people be able to put back on before they do charge them? Three pounds? Five pounds? What is the magic number?

4 - Agreed. I just ignore it.

5 - LOL, I've cancelled my WW membership 3 times over the past 10 years. Never had a problem. But you cant call and cancel once you've been charged and they charge about 2 weeks ahead. So you need to plan ahead.

Also, WW will take a doctor's note for your goal weight....even if that puts you 10, 20, 30 etc pounds over your recommended BMI. Once you hit that weight, you are then lifetime and don't have to pay. So if you have been very overweight all your life and your doctor is happy to let you be 50lbs over your recommended BMI, WW says "Great! If this is where your doctor wants you, then you can continue to come and no longer pay us". That doesn't sound like a company that is trying to keep their members overweight so they can "keep them paying".

I will say, it sounds like you have formulated a very negative view of the WW business model, though, and therefore WW would probably NOT be a good place for you. You would be more focused on how they were "trying to keep you overweight" than learning how to eat properly....and that would not be beneficial to you or them. If you don't need the meetings and weekly weigh-ins, I don't know why you wouldn't just use MFP.

Well said. I find I eat healthier on WW. and if you are starving, eat some of your activity or weekly points and dont fill up on junk food that is higher in points to begin with.
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I did WW 3 times in the last 5 years. I only did online. I lost weight each time. In fact the first time I lost 90 pounds but gained most of it back. You have to track every day. If you stop you will inevitably go back to old habits. Same goes for this site! If you convert points to calories you can tell their algorithm is very similar to MFP pal. MFP gives me about 40 more calories. I just got tired I paying 17.99 a month to keep a food log.

The reason I'm doing MFP is because it's free and I find the message board to be much more active. On the WW board most of the threads were just accountability check ins. There was very little serious discourse on nutrition or fitness. MFP has a much better database of foods. The WW scanner app rarely worked. It just always said food not found. I also like that I can see my macros on MFP. It's interesting for me to compare days and see what my macros come up to on days I'm satiated and not having cravings.

Either program will work just fine but it essentially comes down to CICO. Wether you call them calories or points doesn't really matter. You've just got stay on top of tracking even through vacation and the holidays. Simple but not easy!

Everyone have a great day.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I personally don't find any difference between WW and MFP in terms of how well it works and likelihood of losing weight and keeping it off. It's just tracking to me on either plan, the harder part is sticking with it. I don't think either program is better than the other or that I ate/eat any differently on one versus the other.

I did WW for a billion years, meetings and online. I did WW the most recent time beginning in 2009 and up until this past spring. I lost ~115 pounds and have kept it off for 3+ years. I switched to MFP earlier this year because WW's app and website are terrible and MFP is free. Otherwise, they're the same to me.

I liked meetings and if you are looking for a more social component, you will probably enjoy meetings. Check out a few. Or don't. In the end your success on any weight loss program is primarily contingent on you and not the people around you. Good luck.

This exactly. You're either spending your calories or points in a way that makes you feel fulfilled, or you're not. I had an awesome leader when I joined WW 9 years ago (at that time non-starchy vegetables were "free" but not fruits) and I'm still within the same 5lb goal range. I actually counted both points and calories at the same time because I'm a sucker for numbers.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options

I have the good fortune of having a "Weight Watchers at Work" program that meets once a week at noon at my place of employment. While I have to pay up front, I can do so through payroll deduction; and if I make at least 12 of the 16 series sessions, the wellness program reimburses me that entire cost.

Personally, I like the accountability of the weekly weigh-ins, and seeing my "fellow fatties" who are also trying to better themselves. Because I've been on MFP so long, I prefer tracking here to using the WW points; and I'm not tempted by their consumable items because. . . well. . I've tried them, and I really just haven't found any that I particularly like.

Full disclosure, though: I seldom attend an entire meeting; I usually go swimming on my lunch break, and so I dash in at the end of the meeting for my weigh-in and to pick up the most recent "WW-Weekly".
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great thread as I just rejoined fitness pal about a month ago after doing WW for a whole year. That is $42.95 a month that seems like I just wasted. To me it was a lot of pressure to get weighed in every Saturday morning and I wasn't losing like I wanted, and yes I did follow the plan religiously. When you gained weight or didn't losing any I would feel so bad. It seems like if I had one bad day where I wanted to eat everything in sight I paid for it in the long run.
    I did take the tools that I learned in WW and am applying to my new beginning here. I have lost 7 lbs since the beginning of November using this website, more than I lost with WW.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I lost 65 lbs on WW. I was NEVER starving, when I cancelled my membership I was never charged again, I NEVER bought weight watchers food and never felt pressured too, I never attended a meeting because it wasn't my thing and sounded cheesy to me. I loved WW and how it worked for me to jump start my weight loss. It was the best first step I could have take as it taught me how to eat and plan meals. Once I hit at a plateau and couldn't get passed it I realized I needed a plan that would be more specific about what my calorie intake is so I switched over to here and I love MFP too.
    WW is not evil and it is not designed to make you fail. The only thing that will make someone fail is their attitude.