Birth Control (Ladies question)

Options
Hey there MFPers!!

I've been on "the Pill" (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) for about 4 going on 5 years now. Besides a brief break where they tried to kill me with Beyaz (long story...arm pain, headaches, weird body sensations- DON'T TAKE THAT ISH!) I have stayed faithfully on OTCL.

Now, my question-

how has the Pill affected your weight loss? I know the whole deal "You'll get bigger boobs and less bloating..." and while my chest did grow a full cup size 4 years ago, that's more or less stopped for me now. My body shape I feel changed a lot, and previously suffering from high testosterone (which runs in my family due to polycystic ovaries and uterine problems), I've noticed most of my symptoms are a thing of the past.

However, I wonder if with all my natural extra testosterone I would have an easier time losing the weight, and that the biggest hinderance is my artificial estrogen. Obviously women don't gain muscle like men, but perhaps it would have been a step easier without even MORE of what prevents it.

I've been wondering this for some time...anyone else in my boat?

Also, to add- I naturally weighed without trying what I weigh now working my butt off W/O the Pill, however it looked very different. My body wasn't "fit" but I weighed the same. Wonder if it was muscle or just good ol "skinny fat" haha

Replies

• Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The pill contributed to a good deal of my weight gain...as did my fiancee landing a job at an artisian bakery as well though. :P I've had better like with the IUD. Little to no side effects and I'm 6 month in.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have not the slightest clue to answer your questions. However, I was on the pill for 5 yrs, then quit taking them 5 yrs ago. I do know that they affect you physically, mentally & emotionally...so much that I will NEVER go back to them. I know this doesn't really answer your question(s), but figured I'd give you my 2-cents for what its worth. ;-)
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am also on a low dose bc pill and I don't think it has affected my ability to lose weight nor did it make me gain weight. I was on it for ten years prior to having my daughter and I remained a healthy weight until the year leading up to my pregnancy when I gained about 15-20lbs due to very poor food choices and complatency. When I stopped the pill to get pregnant the only thing that shrank were my boobs lol. After I finished nursing my daughter and started the pill again, my boobs fluffed right back up but I didn't gain any additional weight. The weight I'm trying to lose right now is all my fault lol.
  • mkmerrill
    mkmerrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and have also been on the pill for about 15 years. At this point it should not affect your weight loss/gain. People tend to gain a very small amount of weight when they first take it. You have been on long enough...should not have issues
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Nuvaring for quite some time.

I haven't experienced any significant change other than a certain increase when I first started taking it. I'm 23 now and started it several years ago. I assume the reason my metabolism is slightly lower now is simply due to the fact that I'm not 18 anymore.
    When I postpone my period I usually don't get PMS, but I really bad PMS when I DO have to have my period, with the appetite increase that follows (I restrict myself though).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for many years and never had an issue with weight gain or loss.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your comments!:flowerforyou:

It's definitely not something I'd want to stop either way, because it helps me sooo much in other areas. But I've always questioned the whole muscle situation, wondering if I was doing more harm than good. It's great to know I'm not because those last 10 pounds aren't as important as me not being a crazy person that time of the month :laugh: (though DANG they are sticking on me!)

I'm also very surprised to hear so many good things about IUD's and Nuvaring! I knew a girl who started Nuvaring, cried for 3 days uncontrollably and for no reason, and then removed it and switched to pill form (she's now back to normal).

Haha now I know my previous weight gain (before starting this) was all carb induced! At least THAT's something I can do something about
  • chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The pill contributed to a good deal of my weight gain...as did my fiancee landing a job at an artisian bakery as well though. :P I've had better like with the IUD. Little to no side effects and I'm 6 month in.

I agree. IUD is the best!! Little side effects and best part that evil week virtually has disappeared after 6 months!! yay!! And you don't have to worry about missing a pill!! :-)
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I take generic OrthoTriCyclen for the last 10 years (yea). I didn't gain weight after starting them (at least, not BECAUSE of them). My weight gain was over a long period of time obviously due to bad eating.

Anyway, I don't think they have affected my ability to lose weight. I started around 240 and am at 180 and still losing. I do notice that if I go off them (missed a few months here and there, tried NuvaRing a while, etc) if I go off I tend to lose about 5 lbs immediately, and when I start I gain that same 5 lbs. I must assume water weight or whatever.

Do I care that my end weight may be 5 lbs higher than someone not on BC? Nope, not in the slightest.
  • Spartan_Chick
    Options
    Can I ask which IUD those of you who suggested it have? I am getting Mirena installed (haha) in a couple weeks. But I have read horrible things! I'm nervous to say the least.
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    I second NuvaRing awesomeness! I've been on some form of hormonal birth control for about 7 years now, and just like you getting off of it is not really an option due to debilitating cramps. I've done a low-dose pill, the Implanon implant, and NuvaRing, and I think NuvaRing is my favorite. The pill and NuvaRing haven't affected my weight or mood I think (although I suffer from depression and anxiety anyway - I've been on and off antidepressants for a while in conjunction with BC). I'm not sure about Implanon - I started gaining a LOT of weight right after I got it put in, and ultimately had it taken out early (supposed to last for 5 yrs I think, I had it out after 1). At the time I thought it was contributing to my weight gain, but I think that the gain had more to do with my own eating and exercise habits - I went through a lot of life changes during that year!
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i just got on natazia, and i actually broke out of a plateau after starting it and have lost five lbs this month. I think its really much more your eating habits than anything else, the pill definitely makes you feel hungry more often.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for many years and never had an issue with weight gain or loss.

^^^This. I've been on Ortho TriCyclen Lo for a long time and it hasn't affected my weight at all.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I think I've been on just about every BCP under the sun due to heavy bleeding and Nuvaring (my favorite) and I never gained weight because of the hormones, just bad eating. I got so heavy the Nuvaring would not stay in place. I've also not had any complications with losing now that I'm focused and consistent with my eating and exercise. Also, the only time I've had trouble gaining muscle is when I didn't push myself hard enough with weights but that could be just the way I'm made.

Good luck with your journey
  • aliciaje
    aliciaje Posts: 83
    Options
    I just when through weighing the pros and cons about going off birth control and I decided to go OFF. I have been on many different types continuously for the past 8 years. I am not very helpful since I just went off them 2 weeks ago but I have noticed my skin is really clear right now! I hear lots of women get breakouts after going off bc, but I may be the opposite because I had pretty bad acne while on it. I am definitely paying close attention to how going off bc will effect my weight loss.

What I gather from the research I did (mostly based on anecdotal evidence) is that bc doesn't cause weight gain but it can hinder weight loss.
  • tbw96
    tbw96 Posts: 2
    Options
    i was on microgynon for 3 years, and during that time my weight went both up and down, it seemed to have no effect on my weight loss efforts, however, 2 months ago i changed across to the skin-friendlier dianette, and my weight has rocketed, but i have no idea whether that was due to the pill or exam stress as have just finished my end of year exams. i guess it just changes depending on which type of the pill you are on?