Started trying to run... check my progress

Options
1st attempt. 2 miles 24:30. Treadmill at gym.. Friday
2nd attempt. 2 miles 22:30. Treadmill at gym Monday

222 lb male never really ran.. do ride bike some avg 11mph fpr 17 miles on bike around town....

Trying to train for spartan race. Where should I be..
Any advice.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you have not been running at all, I would suggest you actually slow down and add walking intervals, even if it sounds like the opposite of what you should be doing. It looks like you are doing good regarding stamina (very good for a beginner) but you need to give the rest of your body time to catch up to avoid injuries. These first weeks, take it slow, and give your legs the time to adjust to running.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. right now I run hard as I can for a bit say on 7 to 8. Then slow down. Then. Run hard. Then slow down. Kinda like intervals.

So I start at 5... then go 6 then 7 then slow to 4. Rest. Then 6 to 7. Then 5. Then 4. So forth.

Bad idea huh????? Heart rate has been over 170. Many times
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest a structured program like C25K. Run 3-4 times a week max. Breaks are just as important as run days. Stretch after your runs to limber up your ligaments and prevent injuries down the road. Track or outdoors is preferable to the treadmill to get used to terrain. How long will your Spartan run be? Will it include obstacles?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    When you regularly run a 5 K you gradually add five minutes each week until you get to the length of your Spartan. Then you ease back to a shorter run a week or two before race day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    and shoes, get fitted for shoes so they can help you avoid injuries like shin splints and other similar injuries.
    so structured program, go slow, good shoes.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    My wife runs. She wears brooks???
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So you want to start running? <-- clickity click.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Think c25k is to basic.. imo
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Too basic? That the whole idea. KISS and all that so you don't hurt yourself.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Think c25k is to basic.. imo

Because injury is always a winner...
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Mileage to develop an aerobic base is way more important than you trying to kill yourself with these intervals.
    Slow down to a conversational even paced rate and try to slowly add more and more mileage. You will do a lot better in the long run (pun intended).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAQ73OJdwY
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My wife runs. She wears brooks???

Wear what makes you comfortable. Google your area for a local running store (NOT ROAD RUNNER SPORTS) and get fitted for shoes. You'll pay more than you would if you shopped for a bargain online but you'll get shoes that fit you right (and you can always pick up cheaper pairs when you know what fits you right).

What state do you live in? There's lots of great running stores all over. And many of them have running groups for beginners too.

I understand feeling like C25k is too basic, I was never a fan of it either. But here's what I did when I started running (and what I did when I had an extended break and wanted to come back):

Run 1-1.5 miles, slow, take walking breaks as needed.
    When running 1-1.5 miles continuously, extend to 2 miles, taking walking breaks as needed.
    When 2 miles continuous was possible, alternate between 1.5 and 2.5 miles, with at least one rest day in between.
    After a few weeks, add one 3 mile day into the mix.
    Add mileage a 1/2 mile at a time as comfortable.

Basically, drop your ego at the door, take it slow, and you'll be running longer and faster before you know it. But it takes some time. Also, get off the treadmill if you can..running outside is a whole different (and better, IMO) animal.

Oh, and if you're training for a spartan race, get to the point of running the spartan distance+15%, and then start adding in intervals where you run, drop and do pushups, run, drop and do burpees, etc. Obstacle races aren't the same as straight running.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Interesting. I'm surprised there's not more in NJ. Clearly they went by solely customer metrics and not geography, because Haddonfield is waaaaaaay out of the way for a big chunk of the state. That's always my issue with these lists-they rarely showcase enough stores to be useful if their top picks are on the other end of the state from you. (FWIW, in NJ I swear by Sneaker Factory. Generous return policy, very knowledgeable and patient staff).
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Can't run outside it's dark out..when I can run Treadmill it is for now

Also I am weight training before running...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Can't run outside it's dark out..

Head torch

There is something quite therapeutic about running through the woods with only that pool of light six feet ahead.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I'll tell you a story from a good friend of mine, a marathoner. He first tried training on his own and was hitting a "wall" about halfway through the race, watching the veterans pass him one by one. He went back to the drawing board, learned all about pacing (hint: he slowed down), and ever after he lets all the newbies pass him at the beginning of the race for the win.

During my Learn to Run class the helpful veterans would pace alongside me and give me tips. They taught me that a slower, steady pace means I'm far less likely to strain something, and I'll be able to go much longer.

I want you to GET to that Spartan in one piece, and OWN it!
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Thanks
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. right now I run hard as I can for a bit say on 7 to 8. Then slow down. Then. Run hard. Then slow down. Kinda like intervals.

So I start at 5... then go 6 then 7 then slow to 4. Rest. Then 6 to 7. Then 5. Then 4. So forth.

Bad idea huh????? Heart rate has been over 170. Many times

ignore your heart rate unless it feels like you're going to absolutely die...then you're probably going to hard. Or if it's still racing 10-15 min after you're done running. There's just too much variation in individual heart rates to try and compare it to any real average. I prefer to track my resting HR much more than my workout HR. The stronger your heart, the lower your resting HR generally speaking.

As far as your "intervals" go, I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, but I would mix in some longer, steady state running as well. If you're running three times a week, only one of those should be your "interval" day.

As far as your actual pace, you've got lots of room to improve (which I'm sure you're aware). From several of your other posts, I think I remember that you're around 6' and at 222, a 10 min/mi pace should be well within your realm of goals for running leading up to your Spartan. When I was just getting back into shape and still in my "fat" phase at 5'-8" and 235 lbs, I ran a 5 mile race at just over a 10 min/mi

How long do you have to train before the Spartan? I might be doing one with my brother in the spring as well.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there are other structured plan out there but the c25k and b210k are standard and have helped many avoid injury and learn to run and enjoy it.
    shoes are personal preference and fit. I like saucony, my cousin runs in asics.
    Sure you can run in the dark. I ran at 4am this morning. you can get head torches or lights that attach to the brim of your hat