Naked and bolthouse drinks

Options
Healthy or not

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    In comparison to what? I prefer to eat my veggies rather than drink them, but if it helps someone get their fruits and veggies in, more power to them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    IMO they are fine. Not more or less healthy than many other things because it all depends on your definition of health. There are a couple of the protein variety that I get for my daughter because I want her to get more protein in her diet but she doesn't like a lot of foods that help with that.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    They're often fairly high calories with no fiber. They aren't healthy or unhealthy. They may or may not be filling. In the overall context of your diet, if you aren't eating fruits or vegetables they can help fill in what you are missing. If they help you stay within your calorie goal they are fine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Without knowing the rest of what you're eating, I have no idea. For me personally, I only have them rarely because the calories add up pretty quickly and I have other things I'd like to use my calories on. But if you like them and they aren't keeping you from meeting your goals, I don't know what would be harmful about them.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if i can fit them in my calories, i really like bolthouse.
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Too many calories for me. I can make a smoothie at home with more protein and real fruits.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    kvansteen wrote: »
    Too many calories for me. I can make a smoothie at home with more protein and real fruits.

I'm pretty sure Naked and Bolthouse use real fruit in their juices and smoothies.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I'm pretty sure Naked and Bolthouse use real fruit in their juices and smoothies.

But the fiber content would be higher in a the homemade one. 0 fiber in the Naked smoothies, 2 grams of fiber in the Bolthouse smoothies. Fiber is filling and helps with blood sugar/insulin.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    No single food is healthy or unhealthy. Period.

There is no way to make such a value judgment outside the context of your overall diet and dietary needs.
  • cstolka
    cstolka Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I often get the protein shake and every know and then the grocery store has a pretty good BOGO sale and I'll stock up. Mainly only use them as breakfast drinks. I had also wondered if they are truly all natural and through some investigating I found that they are legit to their organic/all natural labels. The only one I cant power through it the daily greens drink, it just feels real gritty I end up adding apple juice to it to thin it out to make it palatable.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

But the fiber content would be higher in a the homemade one. 0 fiber in the Naked smoothies, 2 grams of fiber in the Bolthouse smoothies. Fiber is filling and helps with blood sugar/insulin.

I get that, but the fruit involved is still "real" (just like the fruit involved in juicing is real, even though the fiber is removed). I think there are legitimate reasons someone might prefer a homemade smoothie to a Naked or Bolthouse juice -- I just don't think the "realness" of the fruit is a factor.

Also, I have seen at least one or two Naked Smoothies with fiber. I think the fiber is from chia seeds and it is probably less than a lot of homemade smoothies, but there are some options.

I tend to see the two as filling two different niches. If I'm at home, I'm probably always going to choose to make a smoothie myself. But I don't think there is anything wrong with the Naked or Bolthouse drinks for those who are travelling, in a hurry, or just prefer the taste. As long as you're accounting for the calories and it isn't crowding out anything else you need, it isn't going to hurt you.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I get that, but the fruit involved is still "real" (just like the fruit involved in juicing is real, even though the fiber is removed). I think there are legitimate reasons someone might prefer a homemade smoothie to a Naked or Bolthouse juice -- I just don't think the "realness" of the fruit is a factor.

Also, I have seen at least one or two Naked Smoothies with fiber. I think the fiber is from chia seeds and it is probably less than a lot of homemade smoothies, but there are some options.

I tend to see the two as filling two different niches. If I'm at home, I'm probably always going to choose to make a smoothie myself. But I don't think there is anything wrong with the Naked or Bolthouse drinks for those who are travelling, in a hurry, or just prefer the taste. As long as you're accounting for the calories and it isn't crowding out anything else you need, it isn't going to hurt you.

I posted previously to say they aren't healthy or unhealthy. It really goes with overall context of diet. As someone who hates fruits and vegetables, these and smoothies are a great way to get vitamins and minerals I might not get otherwise. To someone on 1200 calories, a 300 calorie sweet drink may leave them hungry and to a diabetic these could be great or cause problems. It's definitely about context.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I posted previously to say they aren't healthy or unhealthy. It really goes with overall context of diet. As someone who hates fruits and vegetables, these and smoothies are a great way to get vitamins and minerals I might not get otherwise. To someone on 1200 calories, a 300 calorie sweet drink may leave them hungry and to a diabetic these could be great or cause problems. It's definitely about context.

Yeah, when I was losing weight I wouldn't have chosen them personally. They just aren't filling enough for the calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    No single food is healthy or unhealthy. Period.

There is no way to make such a value judgment outside the context of your overall diet and dietary needs.

It's so refreshing when somebody posts who understands context and dosage.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I like the Bolthouse with protein. I'll use the chocolate and add almond or soymilk. The coffee and add fresh coffee to make a tasty iced coffee. Same for the vanilla.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I like the Bolthouse with protein. I'll use the chocolate and add almond or soymilk. The coffee and add fresh coffee to make a tasty iced coffee. Same for the vanilla.

I use the mango in a smoothie with strawberries.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I like them once in awhile, especially if I end up at the grocery store and feeling a little peaked and/or overly hungry. I'll open it up while shopping and take a few sips (and, of course, pay for it at the checkout). I usually don't drink a whole bottle at once due to the relatively high calories, but will take it home and add the rest to a smoothie. They do taste pretty good, so it's kind of a treat now and then!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I can't justify the calories so I pass on them, but this doesn't make them good or bad.

280 cals for a Bolthouse Green Goddess = 2 eggs, 1 veggie sausage, 1/4 cup of cheese for me. You have to decide what's more satisfying to you, and go with that!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I pretty much stopped drinking any juice...too much sugar and calories. some of the naked drinks are lower though. They have watermelon lime one that is delicious. They are good for you but if you are watching your calories then maybe not the best choice
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Essentially these are better for than you than soda drinks though they are not great. They contain a lot of fructose which creates bad cholestreol. The reason fruit works is it contains fibre which regulates the absorption of fructose into the body. Naked drinks basically give a fructose rush and your body can't handle it. The day Pepsi make a truly healthy product will be a major step forward. Dr RH Lustig makes an interesting point on the article here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM