Where do you buy weights?

Options
Due to expense, we cut our wellness center membership and I am trying to slowly invest in home equipment. I started with 15-lb dumbbells (a set of 2) b/c for a couple of my lifts that's all I can handle.

However, I can certainly squat or deadlift well over 30-lbs, and I'm also starting to max-out on my chest presses. So I know I need a set of 17.5 and probably a set of 20's, but they're so damn expensive, and I have had zero luck on craigslist. Tons of the resistance training benches, not so many free weights.

Have you had any luck finding good deals for home gym equipment? I'd also really like a Bosu ball, but they run almost $100!

Replies

• smdevos
    smdevos Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been able to get some good deals on Craigslist. Especially if you are willing to watch and wait a bit, fitness equipment is something a lot of people buy but then end up getting rid of.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I've been able to get some good deals on Craigslist. Especially if you are willing to watch and wait a bit, fitness equipment is something a lot of people buy but then end up getting rid of.

Yup. There are tons of people that buy new stuff, barely use it, then have to sell it very cheap. We neded up getting an amazing Reebok treadmill (Over $800 new) for free just a few months back. It is still like new and the lady only used it a dozen times in the year she had it.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has been said above. In addition, you can generally get spinlock dumbbell handles and some standard weights very cheap on CL. They are common in most areas.

25ezqye.jpg
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've had some luck with garage sales too.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I've had some luck with garage sales too.

True...I'm just too lazy to go there. I'm a night owl...I work out at 8PM, LOL. And rarely am I up before 7AM.