Im diabetic and I don't wanna log anymore....

Hi I've reached a goal by logging. Thank you MFP. But now I want to enjoy life more and not spend time logging. I just wanna use MFP for the recipe builder so when I cook something I know exactly how many carbs are in it for my diabetes insulin treatment....
I want to spend my time eating healthy (most of the time) but I want to enjoy treats and ya sometimes LOTS at once...BUT I want to play in the snow with my sons lots, throw some weights around in my basement, head to the gym at least once a week for "social gym time" and to walk on lunch breaks at work. My desk job work....
Sounds good right? My goal now is to stay positive about my body, enjoy life and live live live til I can't live no more!
Any body else on the same page??? If so, please share your story and advice :)

Replies

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    will you still be keeping track of how many grams of carbs you're netting in a meal? It's a nice idea not to have to log....but since dropping it completely could have more far reaching consequences for someone with diabetes than someone who was only doing it to maintain a number on the scale...that might be something to consider. I know my dad would probably rather not have to track these things....but I also would have rather been able to keep my own kidney. Unfortunately after his years of no logging ended up with him on dialysis, that wasn't an option for me. I'm all for treats sometimes. And even in epic proportions every once in awhile....sure. But making sure that doesn't turn into a frequent and habitual thing that could hurt you in the long run is probably worth taking the extra 10 minutes out of the day to write this stuff down. Anyhoo....I'm 35 and I'd totally still play in the snow with my dad, but his health will never allow him to do that again. Just my 2 cents to take or leave. :smile:
  • Leka1000
    Leka1000 Posts: 160 Member
    will you still be keeping track of how many grams of carbs you're netting in a meal? It's a nice idea not to have to log....but since dropping it completely could have more far reaching consequences for someone with diabetes than someone who was only doing it to maintain a number on the scale...that might be something to consider. I know my dad would probably rather not have to track these things....but I also would have rather been able to keep my own kidney. Unfortunately after his years of no logging ended up with him on dialysis, that wasn't an option for me. I'm all for treats sometimes. And even in epic proportions every once in awhile....sure. But making sure that doesn't turn into a frequent and habitual thing that could hurt you in the long run is probably worth taking the extra 10 minutes out of the day to write this stuff down. Anyhoo....I'm 35 and I'd totally still play in the snow with my dad, but his health will never allow him to do that again. Just my 2 cents to take or leave. :smile:

Thanks for the post! Yes I will still track carbs and use my insulin to carb ratio. Always!!! I have a son to live for! I am 34 years old and I just said yesterday that Im gonna sled until I can't sled no more lol. Hopefully that is into my 80s at least!

I am awesome through the week with food but I usually let lose on the weekends but take insulin accordingly which sometimes is alot. Im diabetic and LOVE sugar. Go figure! lol
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    With all due respect, if you are only 34 and on insulin due to diabetes you might want to consider taking your condition a bit more seriously. Letting loose on weekends and taking "a LOT" of insulin to counteract the sugar is not a viable plan to live Well into your 80s with all your limbs intact(seriously). You don't say if you're type 1 or 2, but either way, you would do well to learn more about your condition and make appropriate life style & dietary adjustments--for as long as you plan to live.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    With all due respect, if you are only 34 and on insulin due to diabetes you might want to consider taking your condition a bit more seriously. Letting loose on weekends and taking "a LOT" of insulin to counteract the sugar is not a viable plan to live Well into your 80s with all your limbs intact(seriously). You don't say if you're type 1 or 2, but either way, you would do well to learn more about your condition and make appropriate life style & dietary adjustments--for as long as you plan to live.

++++++ <3
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Congrats on how far you have come, I say as long as you are staying within your levels and counting your carbs as correct as you can and still living a healthy active lifestyle, you can treat yourself once in a while. Seeing that you have had t1 since the age of 10, you have educated yourself, you know what you can and can not do. All the best to you.
  • Leka1000
    edited December 2015
    lorrpb wrote: »

Hello, Im type 1 and to elaborate I am not crazy on the weekends with food nor do I take huge amounts of insulin. Im talking like I usually need 5 units per meal through the week and on the weekend same thing but if I decide to have Mcdonalds then I need 10 units for the carb heavy meal AND if I decide to have pop and chips at night time, then that is an extra needle I need. Normally I take 4 needles a day so on weekdays when I through in an extra meal then ya I need another needle to compensate. I do take my disease VERY seriously. Please don't ever assume that someone doesn't....I happen to have 24 years of experience with many diabetes clinic sessions and doctor visits and lots of adding and logging and planning and and and and....omg! Diabetes is a busy as hell disease!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    I mean to sound concerned for you and your little one.
    My ex-husband had 45 years of experience thinking this way and he's dead, my ex-roomates S/O? Took shots for beer, died before 35... So is my grandmother, she loved chocolate, dead...There is a list of people. I've heard what you're saying before from many people who are dead now (or crippled). Your son needs you more than you need soda and McDonalds...
    I really hate to see so much death when it could have been avoided...It affects everyone around you. Even weird strangers on some message board you'll never see in your life. People care. Please be advised. :)<3
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I'm assuming you are working with a doctor and/or RD? What do they think?

• Leka1000
    My ex-husband had 45 years of experience thinking this way and he's dead, my ex-roomates S/O? Took shots for beer, died before 35... So is my grandmother, she loved chocolate, dead...There is a list of people. I've heard what you're saying before from many people who are dead now (or crippled). Your son needs you more than you need soda and McDonalds...
    I really hate to see so much death when it could have been avoided...It affects everyone around you. Even weird strangers on some message board you'll never see in your life. People care. Please be advised. :)<3

Thank you for the concern. HA1c's are current and always good :) - When my time comes, it comes...might not even be diabetes that kills me.
  • Leka1000
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I'm assuming you are working with a doctor and/or RD? What do they think?

Yes, "youre blood work is good so you must be doing something right, good for you"
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Leka1000 wrote: »

Thank you for the concern. HA1c's are current and always good :) - When my time comes, it comes...might not even be diabetes that kills me.

Awesome! Great for you! You are right, times come when they do. :smiley:
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    That's great you have it under control, I think you are well aware what happens when people abuse their bodies and what can happen when you have diabetes on top of that.
  • Leka1000
    That's great you have it under control, I think you are well aware what happens when people abuse their bodies and what can happen when you have diabetes on top of that.

This was my 20s.....unfortunately....I hope I can undo the hidden damage....
  • Leka1000
    Leka1000 wrote: »

This was my 20s.....unfortunately....I hope I can undo the hidden damage....

I was S A D (smoke, alcohol, drugs) Now it's only alcohol once or twice a year AND in moderation.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Eat low carb, and don't worry.