No energy...

Options
So my calories have dropped from 2000 to 1600 because I changed how active I am, that's cool I can do the whole eat when I'm meant to and eat well thing. But my problem is that with uni going on aswell I'm getting tired and don't want to depend on a constant caffeine drip to keep me awake, is there anything I can buy from like Holland & Barrett for a boost? I'm mainly looking at things like vitamins or specific foods I could buy.

Thank you all so much in advance!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Getting adequate sleep is probably your best option, though I do understand the difficulty of that sometimes combined with going to college. No drug/food/supplement can come anywhere close to that.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Getting adequate sleep is probably your best option, though I do understand the difficulty of that sometimes combined with going to college. No drug/food/supplement can come anywhere close to that.

This, but I will add that making sure you're getting adequate micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) will also help. It's better to get that from your food (varied vegetables and fruit etc) than it is from a supplement, though, as the efficacy and absorption of these is often questionable. It's really better to check with a doctor than to start dosing yourself with whatever you think you might need...I know it sounds overcautious but supplements can actually be pretty dangerous so it's worth doing it properly. Still, I personally find that I feel better and more energetic when I'm taking the vitamins my doctor suggests for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You're a 20 yo guy with 8 pounds to lose. Reduce your pounds per week goal. Eating only 1600 is excessively low.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You're a 20 yo guy with 8 pounds to lose. Reduce your pounds per week goal. Eating only 1600 is excessively low.

Yeah that too...can't believe I missed that.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough vitamin B12? I take that for energy. But like other people said, you should probably reduce your deficit if you're physically exhausted from not eating enough. Up to you!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I know how the college grind can be. Sleeping enough just isn't always an option. I find a B vitamin will give me a bit of a boost.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    In addition to the advice above, make sure you're eating enough protein. Also ensure you're getting enough sleep. I would recommend avoiding alcohol during the weekdays as that also interferes with sleep. What worked for me was eating more whole foods and less processed foods, avoiding caffine after 3pm, and increasing both fat and protein in my diet. I make sure I consume a variety of fruits and veggies. I am also a student, working on a second degree. I've found studying every day makes a significant difference as opposed to waiting before an exam or an assignment is due. I no longer have to stay up late to get stuff done, which really helps with the energy levels. I am also not nearly as stressed as I am prepared and don't have the worries of trying to finish stuff last minute (I was a complete slack for the first degree, and was always stressed and tired lol).
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm a caffeine addict in the process of giving up caffeine for good. BCAAs are absolutely wonderful in giving natural bursts of energy. I take 30g day. I take a vitamin B12 complex and it has worked wonders in helping cut my intake in half. As the above poster mentioned, more whole foods and less processed foods make everything from cutting sugar to cutting caffeine soooooo much easier.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I believe you're undereating! For me dropping below about 1500 has me moody and extra tired.
  • foreverfitforeverstrong60
    Options
    Everyone is different with energy. Sleep is obviously the best option. For me, I work with children all day so I try my best to get the nutrients I need through food. However, sometimes I can't get it all through food. I have been using Advocare products for a couple years now and love them. Great quality vitamins. For me, vitamins help along with a nutritious diet. Everyone is different though! I hope that helps :)
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    Options
    I struggled at Uni with energy, although i'll put that down to the fact that I was eating too many takeaway and drinking too much alcohol.
    All i'd say is try sticking some fruit into your diet when you feel a dip - 100 calories from a banana, or 70 from an apple aren't going to busy your calorie limit (or go too far over it) and fruit is great for you, too!
  • cbtebb
    cbtebb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input and advice, I would reply to them all individually but it would take me forever
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    A good Vitamin B/C complex may help!