Abductors and adductors

Options
If these machines are as useless as everyone seems to think, why do gyms give them floor space?
*disclaimer: I don't use them.*

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    If these machines are as useless as everyone seems to think, why do gyms give them floor space?

No machine is useless, every machine is a tool that has a purpose; the user just needs to find the purpose. Now, there are definitely more optimal ways to train certain muscle groups but that doesn't mean something is bad. For instance, I personally find little purpose for the Leg Press because most people are more quad dominant than hamstring dominant but that doesn't mean the Leg Press is useless as it can have a purpose for some.

On MFP the majority of the time when somebody asks about leg or lower body development you'll see everybody jump in with "Squat" and "Deadlift" and such quotes as "squatting is a natural movement, everybody can squat." While I also maintain that squatting and deadlifting are two of the best exercises one can do; everybody can squat but not everybody can squat properly. It's not uncommon, especially for somebody that is un-trained, to have poor glute and hamstring strength which makes doing a correct squat very difficult. When that happens sometimes other exercises and sometimes even machines can help develop the strength they need so they can squat or deadlift. Not sure if that answers your question or not, hopefully that helps a little. :smile:
  • punkeson
    punkeson Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I rate these machines but agree they seem to get a bad press! I'm a big Bret Contreras fan and he advocates training glutes in as many different ways as possible to get the best results. My main glute exercises are still squats, lunges, weighted glute bridges and deadlifts but I still use these machines and seated leg curls once as week with varying rep ranges for variety. When using the abductor I hold the movement for a second and my lower body literally shakes! I feel it in my glutes in a different way to any other exercise. So yes, I definitely recommend them as an addition to the main compound exercises.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    ^^As said above and ^^

A lot of people with knee and back issues are dominate in the quads and hamstrings (but not as much as quads) the less used stabilizer muscles add/abductors are weak causing an instability and thus knee and back pain! (Very generalized explanation) So no they are not useless machines at all!! I'm one of those people and since doing exercises to isolate and strengthen these muscles I've gotten relief.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Because if gyms based square footage allocation on usefulness vs. popularity, they'd all be full of nothing but cages and dumbbells.

(I kid...sort of)
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    OK. That all makes sense. Thanks.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Relevant gif

Gym-rule-%E2%80%94-Do-not-make-eye-contact-while-using-this-machine.jpg
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Relevant gif

Bwahahaha so that's why my old gym had that machine facing the wall
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Relevant gif

That reminds me of one of my favorite gifs:
    Bret Contreras

The first rule of hip thrusting: Never make direct eye contact while hip thrusting or when someone else is hip thrusting…things can get awkward rather quickly.

7bi68.gif
  • punkeson
    punkeson Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Love him!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    I use the abductor and adductor machines because of the sideways movements in yoga. That said, if I am short on time, those are the ones I skip.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

Same reason health food stores sell ice cream. Some people want them.

The main reasons that people say that most newbies should avoid them is:

- they're isolation machines, meaning only 1 joint moves.. which tends to be an inefficient use of time.
    - it doesn't target the fat layer there, a common concern for women.
    - like all isolation machines, it doesn't train the muscles to coordinate with other muscle groups, like they normally do. That's sorta like a quarterback training by himself.

I would also add that adductors & abductors are mostly stabilizers, not heavy lifters. So the machines tend to overwork the muscles compared with how they function in the real world. Which might be fine if a physiotherapist recommended them to you.. or you're trying to bulk up those areas. :+1:

• wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like using the machines right now because I've taken a long break from exercising, and while I have been able to squat and dead lift heavy before, I sure can't do it now! I like that the machines, generally speaking, set you up for success and it is fairly easy to keep good form. I'm going to train on them for a few weeks before going back to free weights again.
    **I'm not a professional, nor do I have a personal trainer, so take what I said with a grain of salt...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do abduction exercises with and without bands at home. I can't bring myself to do them in the gym. Especially not clam shells for some reason. I'll do glute bridges and all but not those.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    They are good for runners.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. Makes sense.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Relevant gif

...which is why it's sometimes referred to as the "Yes/No machine". :D
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

When I went to a physical therapist for help with upper back pain, she prescribed clam shells then added resistance band exercise and then I graduated to this machine. Because I was over working certain muscles and under using my hips, she specifically wanted me to isolate and target certain muscles. This was one of several exercises that allowed me to do the cardio I enjoy without pain.