Potential Injury, need kind advice!

Options
Over the long weekend, a new intimate position left me with a pretty significant pain in my lower back. Im 25, never had back pain before so I need some help to know what to do.

Its along the center of my spine, in the pelvic region of my back basically on level with my hip joints. Cat/cow yoga poses are possible and do not *increase* the pain (it doesnt go away), cobra in its deepest is THE spot, whatever is right there when I do cobra is where this injury is.

I feel this pain constantly in a dull ache, but then staying in either a seated or standing position for long enough its into sharp pain territory, like the cobra pose does.

Im hoping someone can help me figure out if its just a muscle soreness that will fade, or if its something needing attention from a chiropractor. I have never seen one but don't want to push through pain I shouldn't and I also dont want to go ceasing all activities that hurt if its better to move through the healing process, if that makes sense.

I KNOW you all arent doctors, I just dont have a lot of local support to just ask people I know questions :(

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would go to a regular doctor. And stop doing any yoga posing for now.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    center of my spine, in the pelvic region of my back basically on level with my hip joints.

Sounds like you may have injured something around your Sacrum or directly injured your Sacrum. Definitely see a doctor and don't do any of the movements for the time being. I would also refrain from any kind of exercises involving hinging of the hips (e.g. RDL's) for now and probably any kind of squatting. Basically take it easy until you have results from a doctor. Best wishes with your injury, hope it's not serious.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I was mostly testing to see if anything made it feel better, Im not trying to do anything crazy I just wanted to illustrate where my injury might be.

I know I'm not the only poor person ever but if a regular doctor would end up sending me to a chiropractor, I'd like to skip that step (and save 50 some bucks). Would my regular doctor be likely to help me himself, or refer me away and take mah money?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I would go to a chiro myself. Earlier this year I had severe back pain upon waking up and didn't know why because I couldn't pin point injuring myself. I went to Urgent Care and was prescribed a muscle relaxer and pain pills and didn't even make it to work that day. In retrospect I wish I had made an appointment with my chiro first because ultimately that is what alleviated the pain. Similar thing just happened to me a few months ago with my hip and I again went to a doctor and given meds which really did nothing. One trip to the chiro and 80% better first visit. I actually find if I stay on my regular maintenance of once a month chiro I don't have any issues.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'd also see a regular doctor first. You might have some lumbo sacral instability and might need some testing. Who knows at this point but pain is pain. A little soreness is different.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I was mostly testing to see if anything made it feel better, Im not trying to do anything crazy I just wanted to illustrate where my injury might be.

I know I'm not the only poor person ever but if a regular doctor would end up sending me to a chiropractor, I'd like to skip that step (and save 50 some bucks). Would my regular doctor be likely to help me himself, or refer me away and take mah money?

I've never had a doctor refer me to a chiropractor. I have no idea what your doctor will or will not do though.

I understand the testing. I just mean...stop it :) I know it is tempting and it will be tempting to try it again in a few days but I'd just lay off for now.
  • brb2008
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    I would go to a chiro myself. Earlier this year I had severe back pain upon waking up and didn't know why because I couldn't pin point injuring myself. I went to Urgent Care and was prescribed a muscle relaxer and pain pills and didn't even make it to work that day. In retrospect I wish I had made an appointment with my chiro first because ultimately that is what alleviated the pain. Similar thing just happened to me a few months ago with my hip and I again went to a doctor and given meds which really did nothing. One trip to the chiro and 80% better first visit. I actually find if I stay on my regular maintenance of once a month chiro I don't have any issues.

Thank you for the helpful response. Its good to know the meds dont help. I am sure I would get the same "here's some drugs" treatment!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Were it me, I would do nothing. Meaning I would just let my body heal itself.
  • brb2008
    Options
    Were it me, I would do nothing. Meaning I would just let my body heal itself.

I sort of understand! I am a bit worried about babying it though, I have read (and seen demonstrated) that limiting mobility too much after a back injury can cause lots of problems down the road.

Do you feel like doing "nothing" for an injury would entail as much rest as possible, or continuing daily activities to the best of my ability? I would just like to clarify what you mean.
  • brb2008
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I'd also see a regular doctor first. You might have some lumbo sacral instability and might need some testing. Who knows at this point but pain is pain. A little soreness is different.

Agreed. I first tricked myself into thinking I was just a little sore from the activity but as that sorta faded I can tell this is probably not muscle related.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

Ya, I'd go straight to the chiro myself. Regular doctors have given me nothing but drugs for pain, and on one memorable occasion, no drugs but the advice to do more yoga.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Let me start with the usual, "I'm not a doctor" comment. But, I have had experience with back injury over the years. I always heal better when I find ways to stay somewhat active. Walking is usually my exercise of choice. Perhaps it's all about blood flow, perhaps it's something else. If the injury is new, I have read that for the first three days you should just rest it. Later, I have found that putting a tennis ball between my back and the wall and moving around until I find the sore spot and then pushing to give myself a soft tissue massage does wonders. Good luck!
  • brb2008
    Options
    Let me start with the usual, "I'm not a doctor" comment. But, I have had experience with back injury over the years. I always heal better when I find ways to stay somewhat active. Walking is usually my exercise of choice. Perhaps it's all about blood flow, perhaps it's something else. If the injury is new, I have read that for the first three days you should just rest it. Later, I have found that putting a tennis ball between my back and the wall and moving around until I find the sore spot and then pushing to give myself a soft tissue massage does wonders. Good luck!

Ooh I could probably do that move against a wall with my foam roller. Thank you for your advice, I was just wondering what you'd meant by doing noting :) I will probably at least wait through the week, I wouldn't be able to go to a doctor until Monday with my schedule. I will keep on walking though :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Don't foam roll something painful with your spine. I have a spinal problem and also get muscle spasms, and you want the tennis balls and foam rollers for muscles, not the spinal stuff! I use a heating pad over the bad vertebrae and that feels nice, whereas any pushing causes a long-lasting pain and makes a flare-up worse.

Yours could be muscular, of course. But I wouldn't risk it!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I had a deadlift injury, and my doctor recommended "treat your own back" by McKenzie. Great book. You should be able to find it used for a few dollars. Stop doing anything that aggrivates the injury until it starts to feel better.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Chiro or a well trained massage therapist. By well trained I mean someone with minimum 2200 hours training and a diploma.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    And this website. Great physiotherapist! If you do the free registration on the site you can acess his videos that help you treat some discomforts yourself. He was my physio but has moved to California I think. Lucky state they are! I miss him!

http://livegoodhealth.com
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    I had a deadlift injury, and my doctor recommended "treat your own back" by McKenzie. Great book. You should be able to find it used for a few dollars. Stop doing anything that aggrivates the injury until it starts to feel better.

second this, I have used this method with great success. Robin McKenzie is the author's full name.