Turf toe and replacement exercises

Options
My doctor diagnosed turf toe last week and I see a podiatrist next week. In the meantime I can't hyper extend the toe, as in a push off position. I can do one legged push ups, but have put in Bulgarian lunges for regular lunges. Any other ideas out there to substitute for burpees, lunges,planks, etc. I don't want to do them all one legged for fear of injuring the other foot. I've had to stop jogging as well. It's been 3 weeks of pain, slowly getting better, and my workouts are now weights with the Body Beast DVD. Any ideas appreciated (and I've done knee push ups and incline push ups which are pretty good).

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with that program, but you can do a modified split squat, where the bottom of your back foot rests flat on an angled surface.. for example, a board placed against a step.

Instead of planks, you can do the ab wheel on your knees, or if you don't have that, use furniture sliders, or even paper plates on carpeting.

You can make knee pushups harder by elevating your knees a bit and wearing a weighted backpack. :+1:

How did you hurt your toe?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Ab wheel on my knees- great! I'll have to think about that modified split squat. I think I hurt my toe doing a ton of lunges, jumping lunges and burpees over 3 months in a new workout program I did.

It's caused by over extending the toe and slamming it into the ground, or starting blocks if you're a sprinter. Thanks for answering. This injury can take a long time to heal and I'm trying to not keep aggravating it. I bought really good new running shoes over the weekend to try to give it more support when I walk.
  • fiddletime
    Options
    Update for the database. Went to the podiatrist a week ago and he diagnosed a bunion along with the toe and plantar fasciitis. He told me to not aggravate it (when it hurts don't do the activity that is making it hurt). He prescribed orthotics to raise my arch and I don't work out in the but wear them. He told me to get Fleet feet inserts- not spanco, Scholles, etc. Since I wear the orthotics all the time I'm not sure when to wear the Fleet feet. So far it's a lot less painful after over a month. I bought an exercise bike for cardio. The bunion and all the other stuff is related to the arch and will be a chronic problem. He couldn't say when or if it would be 100% again.
  • Nefertiti381
    Nefertiti381 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi fiddletime,
    I was diagnosed with turf toe in January 2011. I had to wear a walking boot (really kept me honey about not using my foot!) for several months. My goal was to NOT be in the boot for my May 20 wedding! Happily I was not, but I had to wear special walking shoes for months, including my July honeymoon to Italy.

What's my point? Hang in there and DO NOT USE YOUR TOE TOO EARLY! Yes, it's frustrating and at times demoralizing. However, I cannot stress enough that your recovery will go much faster if you do not use your toe.

That's awesome you're looking for alternate exercises! I wish I had some magic exercises to tell you about, but I don't. My main advice: stay off the foot!

Best of luck!!
  • fiddletime
    Options
    Thanks! I'm trying to be smart, and patient. My podiatrist didn't suggest immobilization, thank goodness!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You may want to ask your doctor if taping your big toe to the one next to it would be a good idea for you. It gives a little support for walking, without immobilizing it.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Oh sweetie... That sucks! I've had bouts of plantars for years and am just coming off a bad flare up. And my daughter who is a XCountry runner had a similar thing happen racing on the lawn at the Stanford invitational: in the soft turf a strain at one of her metatarsals inside the foot cracked into a stress fracture. She felt it happen!
    Just to encourage you, the orthotics help a lot! I work as a sub, on my feet a lot, so I gave up 'fashion' shoes like ballet flats & vans sneakers to wear a running type shoe fitted with the orthotic to work.
    I was able to keep walking but I still don't run much at all. Maybe a mile on the treadmill now & then just because it feels good. I do Zumba in my stiff shoe but I don't do lifts or leaps unless I'm 100% pain free. And once you are healed some barefoot yoga does a lot to strengthen the foot. I was just able to start again.
    Hang tough! Good luck building your substitute work out. xo