Is Calorie Counting the real reason for maintaining weight loss?

FitPhillygirl
FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
edited December 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Or can everyone maintain lost weight without ever tracking food again? After reading some very good articles recently about why calorie counting isn't necessary, I have decided to give up calorie counting for the whole month of December and see if this is true or not. Thanks to Weightwatchers and MFP, I haven't gained any weight back that I lost for a few years now. I've tried to stop tracking in the past but always ended up losing weight. I believe this was due to actually not eating enough out of fear that I would end up gaining weight because I wasn't calorie counting. So in the end I went right back to calorie counting again. However, this time will hopefully be different and I will eat enough so I don't lose weight and never have to Track again.

For all those who are maintaining. Have you given up Tracking for good or just on a trial basis? Were you still able to maintain without tracking? Thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

Eileen

Replies

• dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    I have always assumed I'd be counting calories until I no longer cared.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I stopped counting for a year and stayed within my 6 lb window. I still count occasionally when I am chasing a fitness goal, but I learned some pretty good habits that I think I will be able to maintain for life.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Not me. Even If I get lax in counting I find the weight creeps up.

I've been a lifelong dieter long before mfp came along and I fear I'll be counting calories for the rest of my life. I just like food too much and have a hard time limiting myself to small portions when I'm not counting calories.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    Or can everyone maintain lost weight without ever tracking food again? After reading some very good articles recently about why calorie counting isn't necessary, I have decided to give up calorie counting for the whole month of December and see if this is true or not. Thanks to Weightwatchers and MFP, I haven't gained any weight back that I lost for a few years now. I've tried to stop tracking in the past but always ended up losing weight. I believe this was due to actually not eating enough out of fear that I would end up gaining weight because I wasn't calorie counting. So in the end I went right back to calorie counting again. However, this time will hopefully be different and I will eat enough so I don't lose weight and never have to Track again.

For all those who are maintaining. Have you given up Tracking for good or just on a trial basis? Were you still able to maintain without tracking? Thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

Eileen

Can everyone maintain without calorie counting? No, clearly not.

Can some? Yes.

Will I? No. This is the last time I'm doing this, I'm not going to regain and go through this again. I know what works (calorie counting), I know it's very easy to incorporate into my life, so why would I experiment and jeopardize what I am working so hard for?

Even if I could learn how to manage my eating in the absence of calorie counting, I don't see a need to.
  • FitPhillygirl
    I stopped counting for a year and stayed within my 6 lb window. I still count occasionally when I am chasing a fitness goal, but I learned some pretty good habits that I think I will be able to maintain for life.

This is a good idea. Maybe if I set a weight window, I won't be so worried about gaining because of not Tracking.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Since logging in MFP almost never stops me from eating things I was going to anyway, and I'm always under, I am pretty sure I could maintain without logging. (I've been maintaining 4 years.) But it's a habit and it helps keep me mindful. And I still learn things are more or fewer calories than I thought.

Strikes me that December is the worst time not to log though. Too many oddball things to eat. January is a more stable month. Why not start then?
  • Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    I'm 4 pounds from my goal now, and looking forward to tracking in maintenance. Like a poster above, I don't ever want to have to lose 98 pounds again! And I actually like tracking my food and exercise, balancing my nutritional needs against my appetite and love of cooking and eating. Continuing to do so will not be a burden. :)
  • bacs
    bacs Posts: 40 Member
    I had lost 55 lbs with tracking. Stopped and did well for a while. you develop a good sense of portion size and control. Unfortunately not tracking made it too easy to lie to myself and put 32 lbs back on. I do think it's possible to maintain without tracking as long as you stay conscious of the food choices you're making.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Since logging in MFP almost never stops me from eating things I was going to anyway, and I'm always under, I am pretty sure I could maintain without logging.

I do the reverse - I don't log what I eat, I eat what I log. I use MFP as a way to plan my next day's meals out and then I just eat what I planned. So in that sense, I have no idea what I would otherwise be eating - MFP is my meal planner.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited December 2015
    I usually track for awhile around February when I start cutting, and again in October when I start bulking, just to be sure I'm on the right track.

But it's pretty easy for me because I eat pretty much the same things every weekday.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I've found I can maintain without food logging much the same that I maintained my weight when I was fat, just had an intervention weight that I won't stay above.

But I find it hard to lose weight without tracking as I like my food too much.

So after a case of "all-inclusive-holiday-itis" (symptoms: inability to just have one breakfast, raging thirst, skin discolouration....) I've returned to food tracking but in a fairly relaxed way.

Calorie counting / food tracking is just one tool. Same as skipping breakfast is a tool, or intermittent fasting which makes it easier for me to adhere to a deficit.
  • FitPhillygirl
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Since logging in MFP almost never stops me from eating things I was going to anyway, and I'm always under, I am pretty sure I could maintain without logging. (I've been maintaining 4 years.) But it's a habit and it helps keep me mindful. And I still learn things are more or fewer calories than I thought.

Strikes me that December is the worst time not to log though. Too many oddball things to eat. January is a more stable month. Why not start then?

I have Celiacs disease so I can't eat most of the high calorie foods that tend to be the cause of holiday weight gain. I plan on continuing to weigh in one a week, so I can make adjustments early if need be. Congrats on maintaining for 4 years. I'll be at that myself in 2 months. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Eileen_S wrote: »

Eileen

Can everyone maintain without calorie counting? No, clearly not.

Can some? Yes.

Will I? No. This is the last time I'm doing this, I'm not going to regain and go through this again. I know what works (calorie counting), I know it's very easy to incorporate into my life, so why would I experiment and jeopardize what I am working so hard for?

Even if I could learn how to manage my eating in the absence of calorie counting, I don't see a need to.

I think I feel like this

Although it would be good to throw caution to the wind and just stop - I don't find it onerous at all
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I can maintain without counting, but i dont like to, because I need to plan and know how many calories I can have for dessert every night lol
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    I've not logged for 2 months, and i've stayed the same weight!
    I do still weigh certain foods though (like Rice, Pasta, Cheese and Cereal) and i'm still eating the foods i normally eat (not a particularly clean eater either).
    But i know that if for instance i've had a big meal at a Restaurant w/alcohol - i know for the next few days to cut back a bit or do a bit more exercise.
    So far, it's working! :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    For me to lose the weight it definately took calorie counting...even 2 years into maintenance I log most days, mostly out of habit.

Could I maintain without doing so?...well I actually think I could, but thats more because I know the calories in food and make better choices, knowledge is power has always been my mantra :smile:

For now I'm going to keep on logging, more to make sure I'm actually eating enough and also it helps me keep an eye on my macros.

Each to their own.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    No, the real reason for maintaining weight is maintaining a neutral energy balance over time (in other words calories in matches calorie out) in some form which calorie counting can help with.

If we look at the common areas where non tracking methods overlap with calorie counting we notice that certain things stand out: keeping portion size reasonable and consistent, being mindful and conscious of what you are eating and particularly in what quantities, keeping hunger and appetite in check.

It comes down to preference, the individual and what methods best suit their strengths, weaknesses and lifestyle.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    I need to keep counting. I like chocolate and wine too much. :smiley:
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I can maintain without counting, but i dont like to, because I need to plan and know how many calories I can have for dessert every night lol

This is why I like tracking! It is snacks & dessert for me. I want to know how many grams of ice cream/gelato or salty crunchy yummy stuff I can have. Or if I have room for a little bit of both :smile:
  • FitPhillygirl
    For me to lose the weight it definately took calorie counting...even 2 years into maintenance I log most days, mostly out of habit.

Could I maintain without doing so?...well I actually think I could, but thats more because I know the calories in food and make better choices, knowledge is power has always been my mantra :smile:

For now I'm going to keep on logging, more to make sure I'm actually eating enough and also it helps me keep an eye on my macros.

Each to their own.

This is a great way of looking at it. I think the key word here for me is "habit". It's not that I actually needed to track anymore, but rather kept doing it just out of habit. This is one of the reasons I believe counting calories is no longer necessary. For me calorie counting has become a crutch. If anything, I think taking a month off will be a good way to break the habit so to speak.