Broken wrist - how many calories

Options
I broke my wrist over the holiday weekend. I talked to the orthopedic doctor and he is clueless about nutrition. How many calories should I be eating? I am 241lbs 5'11" and currently eating about 1525kcal per day. This includes 45-60min of moderate exercise. I am on exercise restriction for 2 week, so I'm not sure how to calculate that. But I'm not sure what to compensate for calories.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Replies

• brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would honestly move to maintenance if I had a broken bone. So whatever maintenance is for you, eat that. I just wouldn't focus on weight loss for the next few crucial weeks.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    I would honestly move to maintenance if I had a broken bone. So whatever maintenance is for you, eat that. I just wouldn't focus on weight loss for the next few crucial weeks.

^^This.

And maybe try to get plenty of calcium?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Maintenance or slightly above. Your body uses calories for healing.
    Are you allowed some walking?
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The BEE stress factor for long bone fracture is X 1.15-1.30...I don't think a broken wrist is applicable. Anywhere around BEE would be ideal...BEE is around 1833kcal from your height, gender, age, and weight stats...it has 20-30% variability. You do the math!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    The BEE stress factor for long bone fracture is X 1.15-1.30...I don't think a broken wrist is applicable. Anywhere around BEE would be ideal...BEE is around 1833kcal from your height, gender, age, and weight stats...it has 20-30% variability. You do the math!

I'd never heard of this, neat!

Here's a calculator: http://www-users.med.cornell.edu/~spon/picu/calc/beecalc.htm

That variability is worth attending to; the number I got was still a couple hundred under my actual maintenance.