Lunch ideas to bring to work that are filling!

I am looking for ideas to brown bag to work and not have to use a microwave. I don't eat any fish, mayo, hummus just to throw that out there. I typically have a Boars Head chicken breast sandwich on wheat bread and a side of grapes, and a granola bar. I do that 3x a week but the other 2 I don't cause I am bored by then. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    I like salads with 2 T of sunflower seeds and dressing. I eat 12 almonds with my fruit.
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    I also like rice cakes !
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Check out this thread about using bento boxes. Lots of creative and interesting lunch ideas.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10043413/using-bento-boxes-for-lunches/p1
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I eat an entire bag of prepared lettuce/greens with a can of tuna (you can use your chicken), a wedge of laughing cow cheese, avocado, and hot sauce. It is seriously the laziest meal prep ever. I don't even bring it in a tupper ware. I just carry the bag of lettuce and tuna to work and wrap the avocado in tin foil lol. It's really filling though.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    This week I'm into big big salads. I bring a big bowl with me and 4-5 cups of dark leafy greens (spinach, kale, sliced brussel sprouts not leafy lettuce). Also a baggie with either 1/2 c quinoa, chicken breast, beans. And, I have a mason jar of lemon juice/tahini/garlic dressing that I leave in the office fridge. It's a huge salad and 3 hours later I'm still full
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Left overs are great.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    chickpea salad sandwiches are soo filling and so good
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,246 Member
    I alternate between big salads (lots of low-cal veggies plus 2-3 oz of protein) and leftovers. Soup with lots of veggies is another good lunch. You could also do a wrap instead of a sandwich with similar ingredients just for a change of pace.
  • slbean121704
    slbean121704 Posts: 7 Member
    Pick up some Zip and Steam bags at the store, they are wonderful. I usually place a serving of frozen grilled chicken and Broccoli or zucchini in and in 4 minutes you have an awesome healthy meal. The veggies are hardly any calories and the chicken is high in protein.
  • MsTeaLady
    MsTeaLady Posts: 11 Member
    One thing I used to do in college was make a big batch of stir fry: brown rice, frozen mixed veggies, egg, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Then I would put it in 1.5 cup containers for the week. It's pretty filling, cheap, and healthy...just be careful on the salt and oil.
  • c1ownfishie
    c1ownfishie Posts: 82 Member
    Quinoa salads are amazing because they travel well and fill you up! I make a huge batch at the beginning of each week and always include different ingredients so I don't get bored.
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    lot of people do overnight oats. there's also different types of sandwiches you could do (i love pb&j. whole wheat bread, all-natural peanut butter, organic jelly). there's also snacks to bring along like skinnypop popcorn, string cheese, applesauce, wheat thins, trail mix, fruit, etc.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You can get wide mouthed thermos flasks that you shove in the microwave at home (if you have one) and it will stay hot till lunch which widens out your lunchtime repertoire to homemade soups, casseroles, left overs from the night before
    ctmike1980 wrote: »
    I am looking for ideas to brown bag to work and not have to use a microwave. I don't eat any fish, mayo, hummus just to throw that out there. I typically have a Boars Head chicken breast sandwich on wheat bread and a side of grapes, and a granola bar. I do that 3x a week but the other 2 I don't cause I am bored by then. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Mason jar salads...Take a mason jar, put you hard veggies in first (at the bottom) like carrots, celery, peppers, whatever you like. Add your salad dressing (the veggies will marinate), then stuff the rest of the jar with leafy greens. As much as you can pack in. Close the lid. They keep for 7 days in the fridge, just like that. I make 3 every sunday night. Then during the week if I make chicken, I'll make a little extra to throw on top of my salad. Or I'll bring a can of tuna. I have a large bowl that I keep at work. At lunch, just dump the mason jar into your bowl, throw your cold protein on top and voila. It's that simple. And they are delicious!!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I have chicken salad with crackers/pork rinds and cottage cheese almost every day. I mix up the actual chicken salad recipe; Buffalo with blue cheese and hot sauce, cranberry almond, grapes and cheddar, etc.

I also make baked oatmeal on Sunday nights and bring that with a TB of peanut butter for breakfast.
  • em1ly01
    em1ly01 Posts: 17 Member
    At the beginning of the week, I bake a full pack of chicken breast, a whole tray of veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, avocado, mushrooms etc and alternate weekly), and boil a whole box of rice. I cut up the chicken, mix it in a huge container with the rice, and put all the veggies in another container. Before work every morning I take a cup of rice and chicken and a cup of veggies. So easy (I am the worst cook and hat cooking), east cleanup, preparation is already done for the week.