Diet to reduce anxiety?

Options

Replies

• BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD, and I've found that diet, exercise and sufficient sunlight really helps, AFTER therapy/counselling. i.e. like the poster above said, other things only treat the symptoms, but IMO they do that well.

Excuse me...not all of us do. True, some therapist/counselors only treat symptoms to string along their patients for money. However, our clinic is very much like "Patch Adams"....please note there are great Pdocs out there doing this because we care and don't make a great living off patients. If we don't work ourselves out of a job, then we haven't done our job.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD, and I've found that diet, exercise and sufficient sunlight really helps, AFTER therapy/counselling. i.e. like the poster above said, other things only treat the symptoms, but IMO they do that well.

Excuse me...not all of us do. True, some therapist/counselors only treat symptoms to string along their patients for money. However, our clinic is very much like "Patch Adams"....please note there are great Pdocs out there doing this because we care and don't make a great living off patients. If we don't work ourselves out of a job, then we haven't done our job.

What are your credentials?
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Serious exercise is going to release endorphins that make you feel better about life in general, so yeah, if you're working up a sweat for 20 minutes you're going to feel better. Do all you can but don't get on your own case if you don't exercise every time. Keep your goals realistic so you don't stress over them.
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    Options
    I suffer from it and yes dieting helps... but excersice - WAY more so.
    Food/Drink wise - avoid caffiene and alcohol - plenty of good fresh food is always good.

Exercise is important though - my experience has been due to my new found energy from healthy eating/living, i have this excess energy i never had before.... logic says if you dont fill that with your concious mind then your subconcious will induce anxiety - so excersise - walking and swimming along with tai chi are what i find most effective....

And for a non-pharmacy, natural solution check out the Linden Method - its helped me somewhat.....

Failing that over in the UK we have herbal pills called calms, again, very effective

Hope this helps = feel your pain mate.
    Hey. Im new here and am looking for anybody who has dealt with anxiety in anyway. Im hoping that if I start working out and eating better my anxiety will lessen or hopefully be gone for good. Does anybody have experience with this and have some good tips and maybe a diet plan. Im 21, 6'' and weigh 220. My goal is to drop down to 180, but most of all my biggest concern is removing the anxiety. Any tips, diet plans or even workouts that possibly focus on anxiety would be immensly appreciated. Thanks and best of luck to you all on MFP.
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    Options
    Also anxiety is just a habit.... we have "sensations" not "Symptoms" , always know in your heart when you have a bout of it that 1) youve had it before so know what to expect and 2) you know it cant actually harm you...

I like to think of my anxiety as a naughty child.... if theres room left for him to be naughty, ie not filling my mind with good stuff, ie activity , then hell play up.... if i acknowlege him, then he plays up more as it works... ignore him, eventually hell give up....

Take control of it, and divert where you can is my advice....
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I believe the key to the successful treatment of anxiety disorders is CBT or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

The National Institute on Mental Health regarding anxiety disorders:

Medication will not cure anxiety disorders, but it can keep them under control while the person receives psychotherapy. Medication must be prescribed by physicians, usually psychiatrists, who can either offer psychotherapy themselves or work as a team with psychologists, social workers, or counselors who provide psychotherapy. The principal medications used for anxiety disorders are antidepressants, anti-anxiety drugs, and beta-blockers to control some of the physical symptoms. With proper treatment, many people with anxiety disorders can lead normal, fulfilling lives.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is very useful in treating anxiety disorders. The cognitive part helps people change the thinking patterns that support their fears, and the behavioral part helps people change the way they react to anxiety-provoking situations.

For example, CBT can help people with panic disorder learn that their panic attacks are not really heart attacks and help people with social phobia learn how to overcome the belief that others are always watching and judging them. When people are ready to confront their fears, they are shown how to use exposure techniques to desensitize themselves to situations that trigger their anxieties.

People with OCD who fear dirt and germs are encouraged to get their hands dirty and wait increasing amounts of time before washing them. The therapist helps the person cope with the anxiety that waiting produces; after the exercise has been repeated a number of times, the anxiety diminishes. People with social phobia may be encouraged to spend time in feared social situations without giving in to the temptation to flee and to make small social blunders and observe how people respond to them. Since the response is usually far less harsh than the person fears, these anxieties are lessened. People with PTSD may be supported through recalling their traumatic event in a safe situation, which helps reduce the fear it produces. CBT therapists also teach deep breathing and other types of exercises to relieve anxiety and encourage relaxation.

Exposure-based behavioral therapy has been used for many years to treat specific phobias. The person gradually encounters the object or situation that is feared, perhaps at first only through pictures or tapes, then later face-to-face. Often the therapist will accompany the person to a feared situation to provide support and guidance.

CBT is undertaken when people decide they are ready for it and with their permission and cooperation. To be effective, the therapy must be directed at the person’s specific anxieties and must be tailored to his or her needs. There are no side effects other than the discomfort of temporarily increased anxiety.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml
  • BigDnSW
    Options
    I believe the key to the successful treatment of anxiety disorders is CBT or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Medication will not cure anxiety disorders, but it can keep them under control while the person receives psychotherapy. Medication must be prescribed by physicians, usually psychiatrists, who can either offer psychotherapy themselves or work as a team with psychologists, social workers, or counselors who provide psychotherapy. The principal medications used for anxiety disorders are antidepressants, anti-anxiety drugs, and beta-blockers to control some of the physical symptoms. With proper treatment, many people with anxiety disorders can lead normal, fulfilling lives.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is very useful in treating anxiety disorders. The cognitive part helps people change the thinking patterns that support their fears, and the behavioral part helps people change the way they react to anxiety-provoking situations.

For example, CBT can help people with panic disorder learn that their panic attacks are not really heart attacks and help people with social phobia learn how to overcome the belief that others are always watching and judging them. When people are ready to confront their fears, they are shown how to use exposure techniques to desensitize themselves to situations that trigger their anxieties.

People with OCD who fear dirt and germs are encouraged to get their hands dirty and wait increasing amounts of time before washing them. The therapist helps the person cope with the anxiety that waiting produces; after the exercise has been repeated a number of times, the anxiety diminishes. People with social phobia may be encouraged to spend time in feared social situations without giving in to the temptation to flee and to make small social blunders and observe how people respond to them. Since the response is usually far less harsh than the person fears, these anxieties are lessened. People with PTSD may be supported through recalling their traumatic event in a safe situation, which helps reduce the fear it produces. CBT therapists also teach deep breathing and other types of exercises to relieve anxiety and encourage relaxation.

Exposure-based behavioral therapy has been used for many years to treat specific phobias. The person gradually encounters the object or situation that is feared, perhaps at first only through pictures or tapes, then later face-to-face. Often the therapist will accompany the person to a feared situation to provide support and guidance.

CBT is undertaken when people decide they are ready for it and with their permission and cooperation. To be effective, the therapy must be directed at the person’s specific anxieties and must be tailored to his or her needs. There are no side effects other than the discomfort of temporarily increased anxiety.

Interesting. What are your credentials...just jesting.

You asked me and the "your" in my case is in the plural as we work as a team with PhDs, MDs (internal med), naturalpaths, RDs, etc. to offer a complete solution addressing both cause and symptoms. Suffice it to say for me, I have enough papers on the wall from various degrees, certs, professional associations, etc. But, it has been continuing ed, research and a genuine care for people that drives our group. We do not take a sterile, clinical approach at all. And if people cannot afford our services, we still treat them. It is a true joy to serve outside the box with some pretty incredible people.

It is a very complex issue/disorder and we have found that each person's situation is unique...hence a team approach with various areas of expertise. I manage the group, but spend my time with anxiety/stress disorders and management, grief and loss, personality issues, and relationships.

CBT and reality therapy is a large part of our practice.

Hope that helps and thanks!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and struggle with it daily. Eating healthy and exercising regularly has helped me tremendously, but not entirely fixed everything.

I eat at a defect and have noticed that refined sugars, white bread, and overly processed junk foods trigger my anxiety. Eating lots of fruits/veggies, protein, and keeping well hydrated helps reduce my outbursts. Working out helps too, but yoga has helped me out more than anything else. Basically, living a healthy lifestyle has fixed about 80% of my anxiety/depression.

I also began taking sam-E last fall and have noticed my mood is much more stable and I'm generally calmer than before.

Good luck to you. I know how hard it is. :flowerforyou:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    To reduce anxiety, set your macro goals to get at least 50% of your calories from alcohol.

Well, don't really do that.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    To reduce anxiety, set your macro goals to get at least 50% of your calories from alcohol.

Well, don't really do that.

:laugh:
    Decent advice, actually.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, so apologies in advance if I'm repeating what others have said...

I've had anxiety my entire life and was diagnosed with GAD and Panic Disorder about 13 years ago. After years of medication, i now use a combination of "natural" methods. Take what I have to say with a grain of salt since everyone is different and even with these methods, I still feel like I'm floundering at times (I'm currently going through an extremely stressful period in my life).

In terms of diet, white sugar makes it SO MUCH WORSE. (Yes, caps lock is required here since it becomes that bad!!) Exercise is another huge one for me - whenever I feel my anxiety levels rising beyond my control, it's because I haven't been to the gym in a number of days (it's usually about 5-7 days and then I get panicky and can't breathe...). I also see a therapist regularly, which helps the "cause" of my anxiety a bit, but I do think some of us are just wired differently and tend to react more under certain stressors. Lately I've started taking a vitamin B complex at the suggestion of my naturopath - she claims it should get rid of the anxiety completely, but I have yet to experience that. This last one is going to sound strange - I also see a chiropractor weekly, which, as weird as this is going to sound, helps...I'm not advocating it as a cure and it might not work for you or anyone else, but it strangely works for me to keep the panic attacks at bay.

All this combined works for me when my anxiety levels are through the roof due to some stressful circumstances. When things aren't as stressful, talk therapy and regular exercise are usually enough to keep things in check (and staying away from white sugar!).

I just want to add: I'm not trying to advocate a completely natural method over medication - sometimes medication is required when you can no longer fight it...I've been there too...
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

You asked me and the "your" in my case is in the plural as we work as a team with PhDs, MDs (internal med), naturalpaths, RDs, etc. to offer a complete solution addressing both cause and symptoms. Suffice it to say for me, I have enough papers on the wall from various degrees, certs, professional associations, etc. But, it has been continuing ed, research and a genuine care for people that drives our group. We do not take a sterile, clinical approach at all. And if people cannot afford our services, we still treat them. It is a true joy to serve outside the box with some pretty incredible people.

It is a very complex issue/disorder and we have found that each person's situation is unique...hence a team approach with various areas of expertise. I manage the group, but spend my time with anxiety/stress disorders and management, grief and loss, personality issues, and relationships.

Thank you for your gracious response.
    Too much "bro-science" on these forums and this gentleman deserves an educated, applicable response.
    I had seen no mention of CBT and would feel remiss if it were not at least mentioned.
    I have my BSN, working as an RN for 25+ years and have handed out more Ativan than I can count.
    CBT made all the difference in dealing with my anxiety issues to the point of them being a non-issue. :smile:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Too much "bro-science" on these forums and this gentleman deserves an educated, applicable response.
    I had seen no mention of CBT and would feel remiss if it were not at least mentioned.
    I have my BSN, working as an RN for 25+ years and have handed out more Ativan than I can count.
    CBT made all the difference in dealing with my anxiety issues to the point of them being a non-issue. :smile:

On a personal note - CBT played a HUGE role in helping me get off medication that I was taking for anxiety.
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have social anxiety. I know that if I didn't excercise I would need to be on meds. It absolutely helps anxiety and depression xo
  • rougette66
    rougette66 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I went paleo and severely reduced carbs, probably the worst anxiety ive ever had in my life. Added in carbs and i was good. aim for at least 1600-2k cals and eat as healthy as possible. For workouts I lift and if im feeling up to it i go running,kickass endorphin rush. as for CBT that does work wonders but not easy! good luck!
  • BigDnSW
    Options

You are most welcome and yes there is way too much "bro-science" in the forums. I often stay away from them for that reason and people can get quite caustic and unreasonable. However, this thread hit a note.

I appreciate your kindness and successes both professionally and with CBT. Always very encouraging to me to read/hear of people overcoming this nasty beast. Very happy for you.

Many do turn to alcohol for temporary relief and that is a huge mistake as well for all the reasons you probably know: dehydration, hormonal imbalance (yes, men have them too), irregular heartbeat...thus the brain does not get enough oxygen and bam...here comes the triggers, puts the body and mind in stress, and long term excessive use of alcohol will actually become a trigger, etc.

I am not anti-alco at all. As a matter of fact, late last night one of my colleagues and I enjoyed a nice beverage on our back porch. Very relaxing. But, it is not a cure.

Cause(s) and symptoms are often difficult to define, but as "The Blues Brothers" put it..."We're on a mission from God!" :laugh:

Dave
  • Kristine7813
    Options
    I had high anxiety and notice that it comes back when I drink Mt Dew :/
    Also, working out for even just 10-15 min helps bring me back down...
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Increase the cardio and make sure you're getting enough sleep. Maybe add some yoga in.

Cut back on the caffeine, eliminate it if you can. Watch the sugars too.

I agree with the magnesium as well. My local healthfood store has a powder that you add to water and drink.

And finally, if things don't improve, as much as it pains me to say it, go see if you need a prescription and some counseling to address what's causing your anxiety. That being said, CBT's not a bad route, since it helps give you the tools to better manage your anxiety.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Exercise is actually the only thing that has helped my anxiety. Anxiety has always been a huge factor in my life. It took me 7 years to get my undergraduate because anxiety made it hard to show up or get out of my car at times. I got to a point where I finally told myself...Which is actually worse the anxiety of not having a degree and having it hang over your head or the 5 minutes of anxiety it takes to walk into the classroom and sit down? Not having a degree won out. I hated telling people I still hadn't graduated.

After my mom's heartattack in January 2012, I started seeing a psychologist. She suggested journaling. Also implied I may have imposter syndrome. Imposter syndrome is a syndrome where successful women feel like frauds that are on the verge of being "found out" by those around them. My anxiety was so bad she had me go to my GP for a prescription of Celexa to be taken daily and Klonopin to be taken as needed. WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE.

I constantly felt like I was having memory problems, no real reduction of anxiety and I just wasn't as sharp as I used to be. Plus.... I wasn't as bubbly or happy in life. I was laid off from my job because of changes in upper management and freaked out. Long story short, I ended up in a mental facility for three days. I found it anything but therapeutic....sterile building, uneducated masses....both patients and staff... and no outlets for relaxation other than watching Judge Judy or coloring. Neither of which I would choose to do in my normal life. I honestly believe that if I hadn't been on any drugs, I wouldn't have had such a severe reaction to being laid off. I made a choice to stop taking medication while locked away....realizing that the drugs actually amplified the problem.

While I still have my moments of anxiety, I feel so much better now. Spending time outdoors hiking, running or horseback riding helps so much. I notice a significant change if I don't get in at least an hour of exercise each day. Anxiety returns times ten. I'm not saying that this is the best route for everyone, but I feel a lot of the US is overmedicated. I wish doctors would suggest other outlets before signing a prescription that could have some pretty serious side effects.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

You are most welcome and yes there is way too much "bro-science" in the forums. I often stay away from them for that reason and people can get quite caustic and unreasonable. However, this thread hit a note.

I appreciate your kindness and successes both professionally and with CBT. Always very encouraging to me to read/hear of people overcoming this nasty beast. Very happy for you.

Many do turn to alcohol for temporary relief and that is a huge mistake as well for all the reasons you probably know: dehydration, hormonal imbalance (yes, men have them too), irregular heartbeat...thus the brain does not get enough oxygen and bam...here comes the triggers, puts the body and mind in stress, and long term excessive use of alcohol will actually become a trigger, etc.

I am not anti-alco at all. As a matter of fact, late last night one of my colleagues and I enjoyed a nice beverage on our back porch. Very relaxing. But, it is not a cure.

Cause(s) and symptoms are often difficult to define, but as "The Blues Brothers" put it..."We're on a mission from God!" :laugh:

Dave

I'm actually glad that you mentioned alcohol because there was a previous comment along the lines of "that's actually not a bad idea".
    It is a VERY bad idea.
    Alcohol is a drug and drugs do not "cure" anxiety and as you said, alcohol only makes anxiety worse.
    I used (abused) alcohol for many years in an attempt to self medicate.
    Initially it feels like it's helping, but in the long run it only exacerbates the anxiety (along with a host of other issues).
    I quit for several years when I first had kids and now only drink on occasion literally for the enjoyment of the taste.
    I can have a half bottle of a really yummy beer and then go for months with nothing.
    So, in my opinion, alcoholics can be "cured" :drinker:
    But, that can be up for discussion on a different caustic thread...