I need help putting together a bodyweight strength training routine.

Options
So i told my nutritionist i was going to lose weight by eating 1200 calories a day and working out five days a week. He became alarmed and told me 1200 was too low and that I'd end up losing muscles instead of mostly fat and that what i should do is eat 1500 and do cardio and strength training. I dont have access to equipment so ill have to use my body for strength training. I need help putting together a routine. If you can point me to some youtube videos or can just suggest a workout routine it would be really appreciated. If you need to know im 5'2, female, i weigh 160 and am looking to reach 120 so im aiming to lose 40 pounds give or take five or so. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning
  • nsolomon6194
    nsolomon6194 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do
    So i told my nutritionist i was going to lose weight by eating 1200 calories a day and working out five days a week. He became alarmed and told me 1200 was too low and that I'd end up losing muscles instead of mostly fat and that what i should do is eat 1500 and do cardio and strength training. I dont have access to equipment so ill have to use my body for strength training. I need help putting together a routine. If you can point me to some youtube videos or can just suggest a workout routine it would be really appreciated. If you need to know im 5'2, female, i weigh 160 and am looking to reach 120 so im aiming to lose 40 pounds give or take five or so. Thanks for the help.

• nsolomon6194
    nsolomon6194 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My bad don't know how that happened. I would do a variety of push ups and make water bags outta trash bags and tie them up on some kinda heavy duty bag so u can put a handle on them so u can do more than callistetics
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @shadows2424
    Here are 2 routines that are good to do at home.

The HASfit uses simple hand weights, you can use soup cans etc. if it is too fast to begin with just note the exercises and do them at your own speed. You will soon be able to keep up. If you can only do one set if the exercises that is fine. Work up to doing all three. When soup cans are too light and you can work through the whole video, find something a bit heavier.

The nerdfitness is a bodyweight routine. Again start with doing what you can. Push-ups against a wall, then a counter, then on your knees on the floor, then a full push -up.
    Planks too can be done on your knees to begin with, hold for as long as you can, working up the time as you can.
    Squats can be done by lowering to a chair, then stool, until you can do them unassisted.
    Lunges jhold on to a chair back and lower yourself as far as you are comfortable until you get your balance.
    Jumping-jacks, do as many as you can. If you have problems with impact exercises, don't do them, walk in place doing the arm movement only.

I gave you the simplified versions of the moves because that is how I started doing them.

Cheers, h.

Nerdfitness:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

HASfit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY
  • Renda88
    Renda88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try with www.fitnessblender.com
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym is awesome. There's an app for $3.99 on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone, and the book is only $9.95 on Kindle I think. You can also probably find it at your local library.

Nerd Fitness is another good choice.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Both excellent. I have more experience with You Are Your Own Gym, and it is well worth the price for the book. Unless you have a lot of experience putting programs together, I would suggest you use something put together by someone else who knows what they are doing. Usually a home made program put together by and inexperienced person will be lacking in certain areas rather than balanced.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I suggest FitnessBlender.com and search for no equiptment routines.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Both excellent. I have more experience with You Are Your Own Gym, and it is well worth the price for the book. Unless you have a lot of experience putting programs together, I would suggest you use something put together by someone else who knows what they are doing. Usually a home made program put together by and inexperienced person will be lacking in certain areas rather than balanced.

I agree. And I've read both YAYOG and Convict Conditioning, and found that CC was not nearly as useful for my as YAYOG was when it came to actual programming. CC has some useful progressions, but it's fairly light on specific plans, and only focuses on 5 workouts(IIRC, it was progressions of pushups, pullups, squats, leg lifts, and dips).

YAYOG hits those same progressions and workouts, but also adds in a lot more general body work; it also has far more specific plans and structures for various skill sets, and gives you more tools for adjusting each program to your fitness level. Plus between the app and the book you get a lot of detail and tips on good form.