Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    lol I swear I spend an hour every time I go grocery shopping :joy:
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I get 'excited', but I definitely get an odd sense of accomplishment when my fridge is full of mainly healthy things. So I totally get it. :) It's the little things!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I hate grocery shopping. I absolutely loathe it. If we could go once a month instead of every weekend, it would be better but nope, every weekend.

Mostly because it's a family affair (my husband is abnormal and really likes shopping) and we go everywhere. Wal-mart, Sam's Club, and all the local grocery stores to get the deals. It takes literally an entire day. If I could afford it, I would hire someone to go for me.

• ald783
    ald783 Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm probably the opposite, I get more excited to grocery shop when I'm getting a bunch of junk like Doritos. An all-Dorito shopping trip would probably be the most exciting. Baby spinach and egg whites I could take or leave.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    Loooovvvveee the comments about looking at other people's trollies, I frequently get told by the cashier ooh you're healthy haha! It's not feeling superior or judging others, I just enjoy knowing my body is way happier than other trollies I look in!! And omg veg I always go too mad and end up needing to make soup out of the stuff I didn't get to use!

I make that "toss all of the leftover veggies into a pot" soup about once a week and I always looooove it. And yes, I get excited to go shopping for food, too. I end up at the regular grocery store about twice per week, and once every two weeks, I go to one of two really big produce shops and go wild. Shopping in those stores make me feel like:

b2U4BI7.jpg
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I generally detest going grocery shopping. I love the term trolley as opposed to cart though. Maybe I will start calling it that and I won't despise going so much :).

However, like the others, I do like when I have lots of healthy looking food, as I am usually just post workout when I go....makes me feel good to have a good workout complete and healthy food to eat (alongside the ice cream)
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love going grocery shopping! I have to go sporadically because my anxiety prevents me from spending large amounts of money at once, but I digress.

One of the greatest times in life is definitely looking at other people and family's carts loaded with unhealthy things and feeling superior. It's cheesy, but too real!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Ahhh you all got me over excited I'm going shopping now! !
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I guess I shop too much, as I like my veggies fresh, so go about 3 times a week. There is nothing exciting about going 3 times a week.

I shop every other day for fresh produce, though I enjoy it
  • rs050711
    rs050711 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yep I love it, and I definitely get a sense of satisfaction when it's mostly healthy items at the check out! I love cooking and experimenting with new ingredients, and I also love finding deals, so going grocery shopping is almost like a game to me- "What fun, different foods can I get for a low price? How much can I stretch my $ and still make lots of yummy meals this week?"

I also enjoy looking into other people's carts.... mainly because I'm just nosy. ;)

Now I want to head out to the grocery store! ha
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    I really love grocery shopping because it means a chance to try something new. Cheese for example. I snack on a lot of cheese, I am addicted to the stuff. And I love to try new types!

However, I never look at what another person is buying and thing I am "better" then them in some way.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - you now have made me paranoid about people checking out my shopping cart. What if some totally random stranger sees the pop tarts, ice cream and pop in my cart and doesn't notice that underneath all that there are veggies, dairy and meat? :)
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I love it since I have been on a tight budget. I prelog 2weeks at a time so I don't have to go more than once unless I need more of a staple(rarely happens). I go in knowing exactly what I need for all my meals and how much I can spend to the penny. I also have an app for my main grocery store which has all my old receipts. I love looking back on how we changed how we eat and budget. It is a feeling of accomplishment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Thanks guys - you now have made me paranoid about people checking out my shopping cart. What if some totally random stranger sees the pop tarts, ice cream and pop in my cart and doesn't notice that underneath all that there are veggies, dairy and meat? :)

Clearly you have to start burying the poptarts under the vegetables :p
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    The only time I really scrutinize what other people are buying is when they are overweight and have overweight children with them. For some reason that really bothers me. If someone wants to make unhealthy decisions for themselves, fine, but when you have kids you have an obligation to try to teach them healthy habits. Where I live in North Carolina, it's not uncommon to see a mother who is past the 300 lbs mark, with a cart full of soda, chips, box dinners and not a fruit or veggie (or anything fresh for that matter) in sight, and her young overweight (sometimes obese) kids in tow. I can't help but feel she is failing as a parent. It's sad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I get most of my meat and all my eggs from a local farm and during much of the year most of my vegetables and fruit too, or I supplement at the green market plus a local meat market which is fun to go to and has venison and stuff like that. I also tend to get fish at a fish store, or occasionally WF (although it's way overpriced), as I don't care for the selection of fish at my mainstream grocery. I just basically pop in to the grocery to supplement or for staples and other random things. I also don't really have a regular shopping time, but pop in when I need something (and tend to run in and out within about 10 mins or less) as it's on my way home from my L stop. So I guess I don't really have a food shopping day.

I enjoy planning meals, however, and figuring out how to use up what I have.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I worked in a supermarket during college so I saw enough wildly different, crazy, extreme combinations of "healthy" and "unhealthy" food that I don't even look at what other people are buying. I'm wholly unfazed. I do admit though to feeling proud that I'm now one of the "annoying produce people" rookie cashiers hide from because of the plethora of fresh fruit & veg I'm buying. And I always feel smug about my purchases because of cost...we're crazy frugal.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    My grocery store has lots of self-service lanes now (for the last few years), and I also don't recall the last time I was checked out by an actual person. You do have to look up all the produce, which is more time consuming than swiping the bar code, but surprisingly not that bad.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

I always put the vegetables on top so it doesn't get squished. Maybe change the direction you go through the store so you visit produce last.
    I don't judge other people's shopping at all. I don't have time or energy for that. Don't worry about what other people think.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Back to the self-service check out, I don't really notice what others are buying (and my stuff is unrepresentative of how I eat). I mostly judge people if they aren't competent or efficient in the check out process (although sometimes it's not their fault).