My dad has requested a meal tomorrow that will have 900 calories itself and is carb-heavy!

Options
2»

Replies

• anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I would definitely plan out my calorie intake for the day, and adjust accordingly so that I can avoid going over, or at least not go over by much. Maybe also not have as large of portions? There are definitely ways you can make it work! Good luck! :)
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I'd invite the friend over so you could get less of the food without doing too much damage
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    who says you have to eat all of that?

even if you do, have a maintenance day. no biggie. my breakfast was just under 900 calories. no biggie.

no need to over-complicate things, youll drive yourself mad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    have a smaller portion and adjust other meals accordingly. I would imagine a 900 calorie portion would be quite a bit of food.
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just curious why can't u eat the meal and do a few days of 30 min plus cardio to burn off the extra calories?
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't get it like a few others have mentioned. What's your daily calorie target? I know you're not me, and I know you're likely much smaller than me, but I eat anywhere from 1,200 - 1,800 calories per day. I can fit in a 900 calorie meal with some planning even when I am eating at the lower end of that range. Today, my total is 1,352, and my dinner makes up 815 of those calories. I also like to moderate my carbs, but carbs won't make you gain fat unless they're the source of excess calories.

Is the real problem that you have been going over your calories or maintenance level since Thanksgiving? If that's the case, you can prepare it for your dad and just have very small portions. Make it more of a snack and less of a meal.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    If you're diabetic, he should understand why you don't eat the high amount of carbs.

If you're not diabetic, counting carbs is likely not really an issue. You can lose weight on either high or low carb diets.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have no problem fitting a 900 calorie meal in my day but I admit I don't understand why you HAVE to eat everything too. I'd eat the ham, one roll, a bit of grits, skip the eggs and have some fruit with it, personally.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't eating 900 calories at once make you feel awful?

Just because the meal is requested doesn't mean that you have to make it. If you do make it, there is nothing to say that you have to eat any of it...
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by BG and how many carbs we are talking here. If my son ate a ton of carbs in one meal mama would go mama dearest on him. So can you clarify if your diabetic? If so then resist it and cut your portion size down to a reasonable carb intake for one meal. Normally 30-45 carbs per meal is recommended.
  • mcnabb_fan07
    mcnabb_fan07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Love cheesy scrambled eggs! Make em every morning for breakfast had a Ham slice with em the other day. I'm low carbbing myself, lost 7lbs this week. If the meal you're preparing is super high split in half? Eat it on separate days maybe:)

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Y'all have some very good ideas! Yep, I have been going over (2x this week) because of Thanksgiving, so I wanted to cut back on calories for a while (I'm on maintenance). But I wasn't extra hungry today earlier, thank goodness. So I didn't go over at all!

And I did skip the grits and half the meat and will eat that tomorrow, maybe. I kept myself to one yeast roll. Man, that part was hard!
    Depends on what you mean by BG and how many carbs we are talking here. If my son ate a ton of carbs in one meal mama would go mama dearest on him. So can you clarify if your diabetic? If so then resist it and cut your portion size down to a reasonable carb intake for one meal. Normally 30-45 carbs per meal is recommended.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant by BG (blood glucose), and the amount of carbs that would have been all at once was pretty horrendous! I was going to walk a lot afterwards, lol. But I'm glad I listened to reason. Thanks y'all!

Oh, and Dad knows I shouldn't eat that all together, but he probably wouldn't have blinked had I done so. He considers it my business, I think. He does encourage me when he notices me doing something especially good for it, after the fact. But he's not one to rely on for willpower, I don't think!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Tell him to cook it himself if he wants that meal.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't eating 900 calories at once make you feel awful?

Just because the meal is requested doesn't mean that you have to make it. If you do make it, there is nothing to say that you have to eat any of it...

I can answer that one. Depends on what you're eating and your tolerance for it.

I couldn't eat the meal OP is describing - I like plain grits with a pat of butter and that's it. All the cheese and fat from the meat does not sound appetizing to me at all. But a nice crisp blueberry Belgian waffle with extra blueberries, stabilized whipped cream, a couple of chicken and apple sausage links and tea? Yep. One of my favorite breakfasts at a local restaurant and it's right at 900 cals. I eat it no problem. And then I skip lunch even though I get hungry, because 900 cals.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    If you burn 500 calories the day before or the day after, its only a 400 calorie meal.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I could make that reasonable. But no, my dad wants scrambled eggs (cooked in the meat oil and butter)and cheese grits along with it, lol"

So make dinner for Dad and make "reasonable" for you. OR
    Make Dad's dinner and eat only some of the prelogged portion. OR
    Plan your day to allow for a 900 calorie meal.

Do you have a special problem with carbs or still buying into "they're bad"?

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yeah, too many carbs are bad for me -- hyperglycemic :( I could eat the total amount for that meal over the course of the day, but not at one time without my blood glucose getting too high.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yeah, too many carbs are bad for me -- hyperglycemic :( I could eat the total amount for that meal over the course of the day, but not at one time without my blood glucose getting too high.

Cook what works for you and make Dad his meal. Provided you're up to it. I've always liked omlettes when making indivual meals some nights.