Increasing calories slightly and gaining weight again, wait it out?

Options
Hi, I'm new to the boards!

I started at 164 and since August, I've lost 20 pounds, at about 1 pound per week. I've been eating between 1200-1300 calories, as MyFitnessPal recommends. The weight is coming off quickly, but almost too quickly because I can't keep up with pants that fit for work! (I'm 5'7" and female.)

Last week I decided to increase my calories so I was only losing 1/2 pound per week, so now I'm at 1500 calories a day. Since then, I've gained back 2-4 pounds, depending on the day. Is this something that will eventually even out and I should stick with it? It's only been a week so I am totally fine with waiting it out, but if I'm going to keep gaining I'd like to stop it before it gets too high.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Wait it out. Eating at a 250 calorie per day deficit will not cause you to gain 2-4 pounds of fat in a week. The gain is due to water weight or some other variable, not fat gain.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    When you add calories/carbs back into your diet, you'll likely see a spike in your weight initially. It's likely from you becoming more hydrated. I would just ride it out for another week or 2. I bet it'll come right back off. Also, I usually only increase calories by 100-200 for my daily intake to avoid these spikes. Take it nice and slow, and if you continue to lose weight over 3 weeks, then you can up your intake again.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hang tight, it's just your body getting adjusted to it and holding onto water.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Hang tight, it's just your body getting adjusted to it and holding onto water.

This.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food? If not, you could be eating more than you think.
  • julie_bee_123
    julie_bee_123 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I was leaning toward that being the answer, but it helps to have back up! I will keep in mind that slowly adding in calories next time would be better. Yes, I weigh all food that needs to be weighed (ie, is not prepackaged.) and I am pretty sure that I am eating the 1500 calories. I will wait it out!

I am glad that is the answer. I know that I will be more successful through the holidays if I have a little more leeway in my diet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I was leaning toward that being the answer, but it helps to have back up! I will keep in mind that slowly adding in calories next time would be better. Yes, I weigh all food that needs to be weighed (ie, is not prepackaged.) and I am pretty sure that I am eating the 1500 calories. I will wait it out!

I am glad that is the answer. I know that I will be more successful through the holidays if I have a little more leeway in my diet.

Many of us also choose to weigh pre-packaged food. Depending on the product, there can be variance between the weight listed on the package and what we actually receive.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    2-4 lbs in a week is most likely water weight or a normal fluctuation. Just make sure you're eating only 250 cals extra.