My first HALF marathon!

Options
Hi there! I just signed up for my first half marathon on October 27th. I have completed three 5ks this year. I have started a new training program as of Monday.

Just looking for others who have either completed a half marathon, or are signed up for their first one!

Looking for tips, motivation and support!

I am SUPERRRRRR excited but also a little nervous!

Add me! :wink:

Replies

• jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

I have done 4 half marathons. Hal Higdon's training programs helped me immensely- the only suggestion that I have is to make sure you do at least one training run that is 12-13 miles. The longest run in the Novice 1 is 10 miles- and let me tell you, that is where I started feeling the pain during my first half. :)
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

I have done 4 half marathons. Hal Higdon's training programs helped me immensely- the only suggestion that I have is to make sure you do at least one training run that is 12-13 miles. The longest run in the Novice 1 is 10 miles- and let me tell you, that is where I started feeling the pain during my first half. :)

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Obviously, the half is going to be way different than the 5K, both physically and the overall atmosphere. Stick to your training plan, and remember - it's not "just a half marathon." It is more than what the majority of people do, and it's a huge accomplishment. Once you train to "finish," you can start having fun with beating PRs and stuff.

FR sent :)
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!!
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I'd like to be able to run a half someday and also have the far off goal of a marathon:) Train hard and have fun!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I haven't signed up yet (due to $ issues lol!) but I'm planning on doing my first half (the Detroit Freep International Half) On October 20th. So nervous! I've ran several 5ks, a couple of 4 milers and one 10K....I really wasn't planning on attempting a half until next year, but during the 10K some ladies were putting the idea in my head. Then the day that I seriously started considering it, I got a magazine in the mail that fell open to the page headlined "you CAN run a half marathon" and included a training plan. Soooo..while I'd probably be better off using one of the more popular training plans, I'm going with the one in the magazine, just because it's like fate haha! Good luck to you!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am using a half marathon running program to train for The Beast On The Bay. So far it has been a real journey.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Obviously, the half is going to be way different than the 5K, both physically and the overall atmosphere. Stick to your training plan, and remember - it's not "just a half marathon." It is more than what the majority of people do, and it's a huge accomplishment. Once you train to "finish," you can start having fun with beating PRs and stuff.

FR sent :)

I forgot that rule during yesterday's run. Train to finish first.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide
    I haven't done one yet. I hope to within the next 2.5 years, but right now I'm only running 2.25 miles.

Anyways, I've heard wonderful things about Hal Higdon's programs. That's what I plan to use when I finish my 10k training program.

There's some great race tips here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Congrats! This is super exciting! I loooooved my first half marathon. I've done six halves, one full, and a dozen other shorter distances. The half is my absolute favorite distance. Here are my tips...

1. Treat your long runs like practice runs for race day so you can find out what works. Experiment on what to eat for breakfast, how long before you run to eat breakfast, what fuel to use during the run, what clothes are most comfortable, etc.

2. If you have a time goal, run with a pace group. But you don't need a time goal for your first half. It's an automatic PR! So have fun with this one and set a time goal for the next one.

3. Run outside as much as possible. Running outside feels way different from running on a treadmill.

4. Buy Body Glide. Use it anywhere you chafe.

5. If you live near the course, run it (or parts of it) during a training run so you're familiar with it. If you don't live near it, check out the course profile on the website and run something similar (hills, curves, etc)

6. I'd recommend your longest run be at least 12 miles. Some plans only go to 10, but I always do at least 12. It gives me more confidence that I can complete the distance.

7. Make sure you have been fitted for good shoes at your local running store and replace them when they recommend (usually between 300 - 500 miles).

8. Don't try anything new on race day. Practice a long run in the clothes you're going to wear on race day. Eat the same breakfast the mornings of the long run that you're going to eat on race day. Try to start a couple of your long runs at the same time the race is going to start (i.e. the race is at 8 a.m., start your long runs at 8 a.m.)

9. Don't skip the cross training days. Having a strong core is important for endurance running.

10.On race day, you're going to start out too fast in the excitement of the race. Get it in check quickly so you won't burn out at the end. Sprint to the finish!

11. And this is super important... Smile for the cameras!!! I have some super horrid race photos from a few races were I wasn't paying attention, but I also have some really great photos from races where I was on the look out for the cameras. You'll totally appreciate these photos many years from now (horrid or not).

12. The post-race beer and the post-race shower are two of the most amazing feelings in the entire world. Savor the race and the post-race celebration... You earned it.

Good luck and have fun! Send a friend request if you'd like to chat more :)
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Good luck! The best thing about a first half marathon (or first of any race) is that it is a PR!

I did my first half marathon a little more than 5 years ago. I am now training for my 23rd half marathon.

A few things I wish I knew the first time I trained for and ran a half marathon:

1. Walking is not a weakness. Sometimes you need a walk break. For my first half marathon I was determined not to walk at all. I pushed myself too hard. Funny thing is, once I got over my fear of walk breaks I got faster.

2. Drink Gatorade (or something of that sort). I trained for my first half marathon with only drinking water. I was over 200 pounds and wanted to lose weight with my running so I figured that it was counterproductive to drink back the calories in Gatorade (I didn't even know anything about G2). I had horrible headaches after my long runs from dehydration. They feel an awful lot like hangover headaches. I would drink more water to try and get rid of the headache. Finally a friend convinced me that I needed the sodium and to try Gatorade. She's a med student, so I trusted her and it helped tremendously.

3. Gu (or shot blocks, or chomps, etc) may be your friend. I knew very little about Gu when training for my first half. I thought it was one of those things for elite runners - something I was far from. While some runners don't feel like a half marathon is a distance that requires Gu or anything of the like, I use Gu and it helps me. Maybe because I am overweight and slow my body needs it whereas a slim runner who can easily do a half in less that 1:30 doesn't find it necessary. Without Gu, my legs feel really heavy for the last 4 miles or so. I have yet to find someone who takes Gu as frequently as the package recommends (granted I don't quiz many people about their Gu-taking strategy). For a half marathon I will go through 2 packets of Gu. My stomach tends to hate me if I have a whole packet at once, so I take a half pack around miles 4, 6, 8, and 10. Everyone has a different Gu strategy, so experiment during your long runs and find what works for you.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Jay well done for entering, and good luck, stick to the plan slow and steady that's the key,

Crista, if this helps I've done 13 halfs & 1 full (London), today my wife ran 2.75 miles for the 3rd time today she decided to run a marathon next year and entered a half marathon in October this year, she is 50 and about 45lbs overweight.

From my experience she will do both no problem at all.

If she can YOU can
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I did my first half this year. The only big thing I wish I did was look at the course more before the race. There was a big, big hill at mile 9 and after that 10 - 13 just were horrible. I also got lost and ended up doing over 14 miles. oops.
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon last October, and I've signed up for the same race this coming October! Feel free to add me for running support! There are a lot of great tips here, and I don't really have anything new to add, so I'm just going to reiterate the ones I really wish had been stressed to me prior to the race.

1. Walk breaks are not bad! Sometimes just taking that minute walk break means you can run faster/further than going continuously at the slower pace.

2. Body Glide - buy it!!!!

3. Gatorade does make a big difference from just water. On my long runs I take some water, and some Gatorade with me. I really like the G2 because it's low in calories but still tastes great.

4. Save a little something for the finish line. Greatest feeling is being able to sprint the last 400m towards it, as that's where the most spectators are and you want to show off a bit for them!

***5. Get fitted properly for good shoes. They aren't always cheap, but given the potential injuries you could develop with out them, they're well worth the money.***
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing my first 1/2 in October as well. I graduated C25k in February, but I think I can do it if I focus. I was thinking of one in January, but the one in October is more convenient to where I live and run - and it's on an old rail trail (out and back) so it's FLAT. However, the thought makes me hyperventilate a tad.
  • den1615
    den1615 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon plans all the way! :) You will love it. I have done two.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I have my first half October 26. I've got Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan printed out and ready to go. I've done plenty of 5K's and 10K's and a few tris, but this is my longest distance yet, so I'm excited to get to it!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I just completed my first 10K and that made me feel like maybe i can do a half marathon. I am thinking maybe next spring because we have a really nice one here then.

I have not totally decided but i have time. I will just keep running and slowly build up and see, it's nice to have a goal to work towards.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Runner's World has lots of tips too. If you're trying to figure out pacing strategies, here's an interesting "how to" from them: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/how-pace-your-first-half-or-full-marathon?cm_mmc=Pinterest-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Training-_-PaceYourFirstFullHalfMarathon