Lets talk about walking and steps per day

2»

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    If I get up in the morning, sit on the couch, o to work and do paperwork all day I get 3-4000. But if I am mindful and get up every chance I can and exercise outside of work, I get the 10,000.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited December 2015
    Despite working a very sedentary IT job from home, I still manage to walk daily and get in about 30 - 35 exercise miles (not including daily steps) in every week.

On my active rest day I do 2 - 3 miles at a normal pace, on my cardio only days I get in 5 - 6 brisk miles and on my cardio AM/strength-training PM days I'll do 3 - 4 miles.

Here's how I do it:

- When the weather is good I walk briskly outdoors on a track or trail.

- I enjoy using walking workouts by Leslie Sansone or Jessica Smith and I have a huge collection.

- I use my mini-stepper when I use while watching tv. 15 - 16 minutes gets me 1 mile and I aim for 30 non-stop minutes. I could easily go longer but any longer gets boring.

Here are some other things I do, but it's more to raise my NEAT than to get steps in:

- Randomly walk/jog in place.

- Do walking dumbbell lunges from the front to the back of my home.

- Park further and walk (more because of the bad drivers in my city though. lol)

Getting ready to lace up my shoes and get 5 miles in. :)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited December 2015
    Even though I average over 10k steps a day, that's not what I use to measure my daily activity. I go by the CDC recommendations of 1 hour and 15 minutes (75 minutes) of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity (i.e., jogging or running) every week and muscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms). This is what I started with as a base, I do and hour of cardio, but slack sometimes on the muscled group work out.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm

http://www.livescience.com/43956-walking-10000-steps-healthy.html
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Yay. congrats everyone for doing an awesome job. Kudos to everyone. I made a goal yesterday reach 5k steps and I totally did it! Then I went and jumped on the elliptical this morning too...what is happening to me!?! haha hopefully I will be like all of you one day, getting in that 10k easily. I do have one question though, if I walk more do I get to increase what my activity level is? Like now I am at sedentary but if I increase my steps to say 6 or 7k would I be able to move that up to lightly active?
    The NIH has five activity levels based on steps. Not sure how exactly they match up to MFP's but according to them under 5,000 is sedentary...5000-7499 is low active,..7500-9999 is somewhat active...10,000-12,499 is active and over 12,500 is
    highly active. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

I think if you got to 7,000 you could easily switch to lightly active.

I still don't get this. I get waaay over 12,500 steps every day, and there is no way I would class myself as highly active...
    Olympic and professional athletes or people working an active job 8 hours a day and then spending a couple of hours in the gym every day is who I see as highly active. But not me, when all I do is walk..
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Yay. congrats everyone for doing an awesome job. Kudos to everyone. I made a goal yesterday reach 5k steps and I totally did it! Then I went and jumped on the elliptical this morning too...what is happening to me!?! haha hopefully I will be like all of you one day, getting in that 10k easily. I do have one question though, if I walk more do I get to increase what my activity level is? Like now I am at sedentary but if I increase my steps to say 6 or 7k would I be able to move that up to lightly active?
    The NIH has five activity levels based on steps. Not sure how exactly they match up to MFP's but according to them under 5,000 is sedentary...5000-7499 is low active,..7500-9999 is somewhat active...10,000-12,499 is active and over 12,500 is

I still don't get this. I get waaay over 12,500 steps every day, and there is no way I would class myself as highly active...
    Olympic and professional athletes or people working an active job 8 hours a day and then spending a couple of hours in the gym every day is who I see as highly active. But not me, when all I do is walk..

Why would you think a professional, or Olympic athletes gets over 12500 steps per day. I would depend on their training, and most don't do a lot of cardio work, but more weight training.
  • Melodieccurn
    Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
    I do have a fit bit and really it is so worth the price. It has lots of networking with friends that have challenges ect. I have the one which is about 99.00 but there is a cheaper one for about 60.00 I shoot for 10,000 a day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Why would you think a professional, or Olympic athletes gets over 12500 steps per day. I would depend on their training, and most don't do a lot of cardio work, but more weight training.

Good point. I'm thinking of our football players (Australian rules) and those kind of athletes who do a lot of cardio as well as weights.
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Kudos to all of you who complete so many steps. Anyone reading these posts who does less, don't despair. Take as many steps as you can and time allows. I have a 2-3 hour commute and work 9-12 hours each day. I get up early and put in 3500-4000 steps 1st thing using Wii games or other video instruction. I also park away, take the stairs etc. It's great to ask for advice and guidance but I highly recommend avoiding comparisons because everyone here lives around the world and our lives vary greatly.
  • ScubaSteve1962

Good point. I'm thinking of our football players (Australian rules) and those kind of athletes who do a lot of cardio as well as weights.

Okay I can see that for Australian rules, or soccer players.