Keeping Calories Down but Not Boring?

Options
Hey guys! I have been feeling really blah all week. I have been eating the same meals each day for lunch and then totally over doing it in calories at dinner time. I think one reason for this is because i am finding my lunch (usually a soup/stew and apple) is becoming boring to me. That being said, my boyfriend loves a big hearty dinner and it is hard for me to turn it down for a salad.

Anybody have any suggestions for low calorie lunches that won't get boring? I try to make big batches of lunches on Sunday, but am open to quick and easy meals as well!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There's more to good nutrition than just salad. I enjoy a good evening meal as well and simply eat that meal in portions that are appropriate for me. I'm an avid cook and have long enjoyed making meals from scratch, whole ingredients...the biggest difference in my diet from 3 years ago to today is that I eat in appropriate portions whereas before I just ate all the food...that and I get more veg and fruit in my diet than I used to.

For lunches I often have leftovers from the night before...or a sandwich...a nice big salad...soups and stews, etc. I like variety...it's the spice of life...and just because you're dieting doesn't mean you have to be borring and eat the same stuff over and over constantly. Just eat food in quantities that are appropriate for you and don't overcomplicate it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Check out the what do your meals look like thread.

For lunches I also prefer to have them cooked on weekends and ready to go. The things I look for in a lunch recipe are that it's at least 50% nonstarchy vegetable, that the volume is enough for me, if it's one pot - bonus, and the calories are in the 200-300 range.

In my freezer I currently have white chicken chili, chicken pot pie soup, tofu and vegetable curry, chicken mushroom cacciatore, pumpkin turkey chili, "regular" turkey chili, roasted vegetable chicken soup, jerk stew with green beans, Thai curry beef with jicama and broccoli, enchilada stuffed peppers, buffalo chicken soup, chicken/rice/veggie burritos, carrot/peanut soup, spicy tomato blue cheese soup, African peanut stew with cauliflower rice, turkey sweet potato kale chili, and probably some other meals.

I also have a lot more in my freezer, but the above are things I would usually bring for lunch because they're easy to warm up.

In the morning I just grab what looks good and bring it to work. Easy and I'm not bored!