fast metabolism

Options
Can anyone help me, Im 20 i weigh in at 104, i wear a panta size 00, iv been trying to gain weight for three years now, ill gain a lil then lose it all plus some, people tell me i make them sick or ill blow away in the wind, or you need to shop in the lil girl section iv heard it all, im so tired of hearing it, iv tryed just about everything to gain a lil, and i cant seem to find the right way to do soo, being skinny is no fun, i jist want some info on all of this,

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories. That's really all there is to it.

If you can't handle more volume, eat higher calorie-dense foods. Fats, nut butters, whole fat dairy, cheese, avocado, etc.

Can you give an example of what a typical day of eating looks like to you?
  • ashlynn2195
    ashlynn2195 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its hard to explain , I eat whenever and whatever I find tat looks good,, noodles and butter is something I just started, other then that its hambir
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Its hard to explain , I eat whenever and whatever I find tat looks good,, noodles and butter is something I just started, other then that its hamburgers, fast food, noodles.

How much though?

What I'm telling you is...you don't have a fast metabolism. You're just not eating enough.

If - for whatever reason - at this time you're having trouble branching out and trying new foods, eat 2 hamburgers instead of one, or eat a bigger burger. Or add another slice of cheese. Or more mayo. Or get a bigger order of french fries on the side.

Double your portion of noodles...or add some cheese, or more butter etc. Whatever you can to up the calories you're eating.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will cause you to gain weight is a consistent caloric surplus. You simply just have to eat more calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The average person doesnt have a slow or fast metabolism... and like others said, its doesnt matter what you eat, if your calories arent high enough, you wont gain.

Have you tracked calories yet?
  • cocoradical
    cocoradical Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just hit your daily calorie goal consistently. If you still don't see results in a month, then I suggest you see a doctor or some other professional help. But make sure you hit your daily intake goal. Remember that gaining weight is harder than losing it if you have a fast metabolism.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Its hard to explain , I eat whenever and whatever I find tat looks good,, noodles and butter is something I just started, other then that its hamburgers, fast food, noodles.

How much though?

What I'm telling you is...you don't have a fast metabolism. You're just not eating enough.

If - for whatever reason - at this time you're having trouble branching out and trying new foods, eat 2 hamburgers instead of one, or eat a bigger burger. Or add another slice of cheese. Or more mayo. Or get a bigger order of french fries on the side.

Double your portion of noodles...or add some cheese, or more butter etc. Whatever you can to up the calories you're eating.

What @juggernaut1974 said. @asklynn2195 you don't have a high metabolism. I thought I had one but simply I wasn't eating enough. Once I started eating more, I gained weight. You will need to become a bit more structured about how much eat and when you eat. Plan your day in advance. Easier to hit your goals that way.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    The average person doesnt have a slow or fast metabolism... and like others said, its doesnt matter what you eat, if your calories arent high enough, you wont gain.

Have you tracked calories yet?

This.
    Before trying to gain, just track your food for a week or two. Track accuratly. Weight everything you put into your mouth.
    This will simply give you insight in your diet and how much you are actually consuming. Chanses are you are eating less than you think.
    Anyway, it is not important to eat less or more than you think. It is important to have a baseline.

Add 250 calories to what you are eating and eat that way for a month. Is the scale going up, good. If it stays the same, add another 250 calories. Are you losing weight, continue to slowly increase your calories.
  • holm6677
    holm6677 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've the same problem. Don't worry about people saying that the "average" person doesn't have a fast metabolism. That's just factually wrong, and they obviously have never had our problem. I've been gorging myself with fast foods (high calories) for years, and snacking all day while I sit at my desk at work. Very rarely gained anything, and when I did, it was gone in a few days or a week. So, I feel your pain. It was only when I started working out (alternating upper and lower body, every other day) and replacing the fast food with healthy alternatives, that I have been able to gain much mass. Even now that I'm eating 3000 or so cals of good stuff, I'm still hungry a lot, and I actually lost several pounds before I started gaining anything. Hang in there, and EAT. Lots.
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Sorry @holm6677 but you are wrong there. Thinking you have a fast metabolism and having a fast metabolism are two different things. Having an abnormally fast metabolism more often than not means you have an underlying medical condition that needs treatment.

I myself only about 10 months ago was a 'hard gainer' and had a 'fast metabolism'. For years (around the 15 year mark) was brutally underweight. I have gorged on fast foods all my life and snacked right throughout the day and still never gained weight, I must have a fast metabolism! ...... no I don't. How often have you heard an overweight person say 'I don't eat that much' or an underweight person say 'I eat a lot'? I don't know about you but I hear it all the time. What does happen, is people get used to consuming certain levels of food and that level becomes normal, in their mind. That is the problem that needs sorted out, re-scaling what normal actually is in your mind.

You are eating around 3000 calories of good stuff and are now gaining?? ..... I'm at 4000 each day, I'm still pretty thin and I still fall within the 'average person' category.

To the OP. Take on board what @psulemon says, he is very well educated in these matters and will steer you in the right direction. Start by logging your food, be very strict about it, everything you consume needs logged (all food and drink) and do that for a few weeks. It sounds like a pain but it's not really that bad. I kinda enjoy logging my food now lol. It will become a habit in no time. After a few weeks you will see the reality of how many calories you are consuming. It's worth noting that calorie intake (weight control) and nutrition (giving your body the components it needs to function correctly) are two different beasts. In the grand scheme of things, for gaining weight, it doesn't matter what you are eating, it could be cheeseburgers and ice cream (considered unhealthy) or rice, chicken and veggies (considered healthy), as long as your calorie intake is high enough you will start to gain weight. Finding the level that you start gaining at is what you need. Once you have that number, as long as you can get above that number every day, you WILL start gaining weight. :smile:

You will get there if you stick to it. It does take a bit of time and determination but people with 'our' problem can still do it! lol
  • lilygarcia3
    lilygarcia3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I say legit track your foods. It actually does help and this app is perfect. My plan is to gain and then start working out but you have to watch your food. Don't eat just because of the calories but also because it'll make your body have the energy it needs. Meal, snack, meal, snack, meal, snack, I just feel it works. Also try peanut butter, avocado, homemade popcorn(not microwaveable), cheeses, chicken, and don't forget the fruits and veggies! :)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Start tracking your calories.

And yes there are people with a fast metabolism but they are rare...now that said. They also burn just a few hundred calories more than the average person in some cases. So it is not that you are talking here about hundreds and hundreds calories more than a normal/average person.

Now when you think of it 5 spoons of peanut butter is already around the 1000 calories right there. And that isnt that much at all. When you take a sandwich and cover it with a decent layer ( not even thick) but a decent layer of peanut butter you are using easily 2 spoons of it. Just to give you an example how to get some more calories in. Eat!!!! and some calorie dense food fix your problem very quickly

So really, when you want it that bad and you want to gain start tracking.

For all the people who say i have the same or i can not lose etc etc
    Start tracking and when you do that accurately and you still dont gain or lose, see a doctor there can be a medical issue.

But first do it right, start by trying to know your calorie intake....as accurate as possible
    Take a food scale and weigh every single piece of food you put in your body...because that is your real judge...it counts for us every calorie and dont forget one!

Listen or take the advice of some people that posted here...start tracking your food and eat more!

95069916.png

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    KeepGood wrote: »
    Sorry @holm6677 but you are wrong there. Thinking you have a fast metabolism and having a fast metabolism are two different things. Having an abnormally fast metabolism more often than not means you have an underlying medical condition that needs treatment.

I myself only about 10 months ago was a 'hard gainer' and had a 'fast metabolism'. For years (around the 15 year mark) was brutally underweight. I have gorged on fast foods all my life and snacked right throughout the day and still never gained weight, I must have a fast metabolism! ...... no I don't. How often have you heard an overweight person say 'I don't eat that much' or an underweight person say 'I eat a lot'? I don't know about you but I hear it all the time. What does happen, is people get used to consuming certain levels of food and that level becomes normal, in their mind. That is the problem that needs sorted out, re-scaling what normal actually is in your mind.

You are eating around 3000 calories of good stuff and are now gaining?? ..... I'm at 4000 each day, I'm still pretty thin and I still fall within the 'average person' category.

To the OP. Take on board what @psulemon says, he is very well educated in these matters and will steer you in the right direction. Start by logging your food, be very strict about it, everything you consume needs logged (all food and drink) and do that for a few weeks. It sounds like a pain but it's not really that bad. I kinda enjoy logging my food now lol. It will become a habit in no time. After a few weeks you will see the reality of how many calories you are consuming. It's worth noting that calorie intake (weight control) and nutrition (giving your body the components it needs to function correctly) are two different beasts. In the grand scheme of things, for gaining weight, it doesn't matter what you are eating, it could be cheeseburgers and ice cream (considered unhealthy) or rice, chicken and veggies (considered healthy), as long as your calorie intake is high enough you will start to gain weight. Finding the level that you start gaining at is what you need. Once you have that number, as long as you can get above that number every day, you WILL start gaining weight. :smile:

You will get there if you stick to it. It does take a bit of time and determination but people with 'our' problem can still do it! lol

I agree 100% with everything that @KeepGood said above. For ages I was like him thinking I was a "hard gainer" and had a "fast metabolism" when the simple reality was I wasn't eating enough. OP once you get over the mentality that you are a "hard gainer" or that you have a "fast metabolism" and start eating more, you will see your weight increase.
  • ozoioi
    ozoioi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add creatine to your diet also. My
    PT suggested I do it, he said it'll help control my weight while working out. I weighed 62.4kg a month ago, now I'm 66.9kg and keeping it on while working out at the gym... Up your carbs like everyone is saying, it also helps.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I did not read all the posts.. but from personal experience when you are ready to gain weight you will start.

And using calorie counting app to gain weight puts too much control on this IMHO. It just takes eating and eat to get full, eat what ever you want when you want.. but make sure you are eating and eating every day...

There is no fast metabolism it is called not eating enough food and getting in enough calories and doing this "everyday" not on selective days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,576 Member
    Options
    holm6677 wrote: »
    I've the same problem. Don't worry about people saying that the "average" person doesn't have a fast metabolism. That's just factually wrong, and they obviously have never had our problem. I've been gorging myself with fast foods (high calories) for years, and snacking all day while I sit at my desk at work. Very rarely gained anything, and when I did, it was gone in a few days or a week. So, I feel your pain. It was only when I started working out (alternating upper and lower body, every other day) and replacing the fast food with healthy alternatives, that I have been able to gain much mass. Even now that I'm eating 3000 or so cals of good stuff, I'm still hungry a lot, and I actually lost several pounds before I started gaining anything. Hang in there, and EAT. Lots.
    Science doesn't back that though. For every client that I've worked with that thought they had a fast metabolism and promised me they were eating everything in site, I've found they've always eaten at or under their TDEE.
    Haven't met anyone yet that didn't gain weight if they exceeded their TDEE consistently for a month.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ozoioi wrote: »
    Add creatine to your diet also. My
    PT suggested I do it, he said it'll help control my weight while working out. I weighed 62.4kg a month ago, now I'm 66.9kg and keeping it on while working out at the gym... Up your carbs like everyone is saying, it also helps.
    Creatine is a muscle saturater and doesnt hell you gain weight. It mainly just puts more fluid in your muscle and help you push out a few reps.