crepitus ankle

Options
mkakids
mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
Lately when I run I've noticed that my right ankle (achilles area), becomes tight and crepitus. I can feel the tendons and ligaments rubbing when I move my ankle. Some minor discomfort, but no real pain. I ice it and stretch and it goes away in a day or two.

What can this be caused by? I'm wearing properly fitted running shoes. I haven't increased my mileage at all. I'm cognizant of my form and strike mid foot. I do over pronation slightly. Normal arches.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Time for a dr appointment. Achilles tendon is not something you experiment with. Avoiding the dr has cost me a full year of no running at all and several months of physical therapy.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Lately when I run I've noticed that my right ankle (achilles area), becomes tight and crepitus. I can feel the tendons and ligaments rubbing when I move my ankle. Some minor discomfort, but no real pain. I ice it and stretch and it goes away in a day or two.

I have a snapping/rubbing sensation on my right outer ankle - not the Achilles (in my case), it's the peroneal tendon subluxing and slipping around, thanks to a torn rectinaculum (which is a band that binds your ligaments to bone).
    No idea how it happened, it's probably from old sprains. Have you ever rolled your ankle?

For a torn rectinaculum, and I have no idea if that's what you have, it's only surgery, and only worth it when it happens all the time and is painful. Mine was bad for a couple of weeks (couldn't push it back, painful), but my PT worked on it, shoved it back and it's stopped bothering me for a bit.

See a PT.

Ha, according to this, casting is recommended. Well for some reason, my docs and PT are not into that, but it's a thing. I was told to chill out with it, though. http://www.coreconcepts.com.sg/article/snapping-ankle/