I bought cottage cheese today...

Options
one of my biggest trigger foods. Usually a 750gm tub of it will only last 24-36hours in the house if I am lucky. I had a serving for lunch alongside beet Borcht, cucumber slices and a tin of oysters. My other trigger foods can be cookies, there was a day this month where I ate 8 fresh homemade cookies in one evening before I stopped myself and went to bed. Sour candy like fuzzy peaches, cheese of all kinds, and nuts. All foods that may trigger me to eat in excess of 3000 cal in a sitting. And after I start with the trigger food I eat anything I can get my hands on. I do this when I am bored, grumpy, or stressed. I am replacing this with diligent tracking, lots of exersise, and reading on here as well as texts with a few friends for support. So far it has been a whole month and just the cookie incident. I am learning how addicted I am to food and learning that the "high" it gives me is not a good feeling.

What are your trigger foods, what do you do to distract yourself, and do you have any tips to help??

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Mine is most things with rasins. I only just realised this: fruit cake, mince pies. Christmas pudding, fruit toast, cinamon and rasin bagels, pan au rasins, belgian buns. When im needing a fix i make a batch of grated carrot and apple with rasins and cinamon ( leave overnight) and eat with greek yoghurt (80g and 60g is enough for me). I also make cubes of apple with raisins, cinamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract and stevia cooked in the microwave ( drain juice)with a touch of greek yoghurt. Amazing!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a trigger food for you? There are worse ones that is for sure. Cottage cheese is pretty low calories, and significant portion of protein. But 1/2 tub in one sitting is probably a little much.
    Trigger for me is any cookies, dry cereal (I pop those things like chicklets). I haven't totally kicked my late night snacking habits, but a power shake with lots of ice, blended with fruit, yoghurt, keeps me busy for awhile.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I never really believed or understood trigger foods until something happened to me the other week...I ate a pop tart after a heavy leg session and all hell broke lose.
  • c1ownfishie
    c1ownfishie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Desserts are my weakness! I only keep one pint of ice cream in my apartment and a small selection of candy to indulge in when I'm really craving something sweet. Otherwise I like to treat myself when I go out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a trigger food. I do have trigger situations, where I want to eat when not hungry and if I do I will likely have a hard time not eating more than intended, so I've learned (mostly) to avoid eating then to make it easier on myself (basically stress/emotional eating issues).

That said, naan used to be the food I'd have the hardest time not just eating the whole basket of, or maybe really good tortilla chips at a Mexican restaurant (especially with guac, but good salsa too) -- one common theme is unlimited amounts on the table. I've gotten much more under control with even these, however, which is nice. Again, it is often situational -- the last time I really blew it with the tortilla chips was after a long bike ride and I was super hungry plus tired. Under those circumstances it would be better to ask if they would wait to bring out the chips until the meals come, but since my friends wouldn't go for that I just have to figure out how to deal with those lower will power situations.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My triggers are potato chips and beer.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy food, try sprinkling a little red pepper into the cottage cheese.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I never really believed or understood trigger foods until something happened to me the other week...I ate a pop tart after a heavy leg session and all hell broke lose.

Omg, I've been there! Leg days are the absolute worse for me. I have to be very mindful of my eating on those days.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oh and chocolate is mine. I have a huge issue with portion control with most sweets so I usually go for them when I have a nice amount of saved.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Good homemade baked goods (chocolate cake w/chocolate frosting, cookies, pie, etc.) I get them out of the house as soon as I can because I find it very hard to moderate my intake. My thought process goes like this: "Why eat one slice every couple of days over the week? I know I'm going to eat it all so I may as well eat it all in one sitting." My husband and daughter are happy to have one serving and then ignore the baked goods (e.g., my daughter ate half a scone on Thanksgiving and then three days later said she might eat the other half the next day.) We usually each eat a bit, I set aside one slice for the next evening, and then I stick it in my car or my husband's car to go to take it to work the next day. Fortunately I am lazy enough to not go out into the garage to eat more.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I can eat a whole block of cheddar cheese by myself and still be looking for more. I can also kill an entire bag of potato chips... not the individual-serving size... in a single evening without breaking a sweat. Actually, I could polish off BOTH those things in the time it would take to watch a feature-length film. I've also way overdone it on green olives more than a time or two.
  • Kym1166
    Kym1166 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My trigger foods are wine and cheese love hot pepper jack I even wake up in the middle of the night just to get a piece.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Block cheese or Doritos are my trigger foods, I can't just have 1 serving!
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Chocolate (or anything of the chocolate genre) is mine. Chocolate only begets more chocolate.
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For me it's chips. I can eat an entire bag. I just don't buy chips anymore so that it won't happen to me.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    jeffd247 wrote: »
    Chocolate (or anything of the chocolate genre) is mine. Chocolate only begets more chocolate.

This!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Good homemade baked goods (chocolate cake w/chocolate frosting, cookies, pie, etc.) I get them out of the house as soon as I can because I find it very hard to moderate my intake. My thought process goes like this: "Why eat one slice every couple of days over the week? I know I'm going to eat it all so I may as well eat it all in one sitting."

Ha! I do this exact same thing. Also, "well, better eat it now or it will go bad, and it would be a horrible shame to have put in all that work and let it go to waste." I've actually gotten WAY better about moderating that kind of stuff, but it's still easier to just bake only when I'm having people over or for an event so I don't end up with lots of leftovers. Lucky for me I don't do that with stuff like ice cream, where I don't have to worry about it going bad, and that I'm a horrible snob about baked goods so as long as I'm not offered good home-baked stuff I am not tempted. (I save calories for my book club, as one of the members loves to bake and is good at it, and tries stuff out with book club. But that's okay, as I don't end up with lots of leftovers in my house.)
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My triggers are potato chips and beer.

exactly this

• april_69xx
    april_69xx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Chips & Dip.
    I have those "keep-fresh chip clips" that are meant to keep your chips fresh when you store them in the cupboard. I have never used said clips. If i buy a bag of chips, they do not make it to the cupboard. They will be gone.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    All food is my trigger food. Learning how to stop myself from overdoing it every time I eat gets a tiny bit easier every day. I still have bad days, but it's getting better. After a year I would hope so! I could have eaten a whole pizza easy last night, but stopped after two slices. I was still way under my calories for the day too!