I just want to feel better

Options
2»

Replies

• mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Tinawood40 wrote: »
    Look at it this way - a year is going to go by regardless of what you do - at the end of the year you can be right where you are right now - or you can be significantly smaller. I started in June - down 32 lbs now - feeling so much better. By the time I reach 1 year I should be 50 lbs lighter. Am I glad I hung in there - hell ya. Was it always easy - no. But I keep it in my mind that the time is going to pass one way or the other and I chose to do something to make this year count.

^^^THIS^^^
  • AlisalGal
    AlisalGal Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You might benefit from reading Andie Mitchell's "It Was Me All Along." She chronicles her weight loss and more importantly, the wild emotional ride it was for her. Something that resonated with me was how she asked herself, "Can I do this TODAY? Can I resist sweets and overeating just for today only?" If I can pause and have this internal conversation, I usually can talk myself down from emotional eating. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just log everything. Make what you want fit in your calories instead of feeling bad because you had a cookie... it's only 100 calories out of 1600! And mostly, don't go straight to the '2 lb a week' setting. I'm sure that's why most people fail... asking for too much too fast. 1 pound a week is a perfectly fine rate of loss, and you don't have to feel deprived that way.

The main thing though is always asking yourself if you REALLY want something or if you're only eating it because it's there. A trick I use is asking myself 'ok so there's going to be cookies, if I wanted a cookie, what would I really want?'. If the answer is a sugar cookie, and they only have gingerbread cookies... I'll hold off until I can have the sugar cookie I REALLY want, because I know those cookies won't be as satisfying and I'd rather save the calories for something that will really satisfy me. That's how I deal with high calorie foods now... and how I can say no to dessert when we go out... if I see a dessert menu and can't see something that really jumps at me right away (like 'oh I've been wanting to eat one of those for a while'), I pass.

But I absolutely don't feel bad if I have a cookie or a cupcake within my calories. I just adjust dinner and ditch the potatoes I had planned and just have veggies with my chicken instead (and typically save the high calorie foods I've been craving for days when I'm not very hungry, so it's easier to fit them in).

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Making that appointment is a great start!

I understand the shame thing, but (as someone else said) realizing that I would never talk to someone else like that and allowing myself to be imperfect were really huge steps forward in being able to take the steps needed to lose the weight (I went from 220 to 125). For me, shame was not a way to teach myself not to do it again (as I had kind of thought) but was counterproductive and tended to play into the overeating cycle.

What did work for me was accepting myself as I was, committing to being as healthy as I could be and getting fit, even if I didn't lose (I intended to lose, but this was how I got around my fear that it wouldn't work, although that was illogical), and focusing on -- and writing down -- some very specific motivations and goals (not all weight related). Then, because I'm a planner sort of person, I made a series of short and long term goals (in one year, in 6 months, in 3, in one month) and then started in with some action items for the week: log all my food, stay below my calorie goal, walk rather than drive whenever possible (I also got a Fitbit and that was quite motivating), and use the stationary bike 3x during the week for 30 mins each time at an easy level. I picked things that would be achievable for me, and not too tough and then I worked up and added new things as I got comfortable with what I was doing. During the first several months I kept a computer journal (or more of a log) where I noted down how I felt, what seemed to be working, what I was struggling with, so on, and if I messed up on something I wrote about it analytically and tried to treat it as a learning experience as opposed to a reason to beat myself up or quit. When I went through periods I knew would be tough I modified some to address that rather than my old "if I'm not perfect I might as well quit!" Being nice to myself and not making it all or nothing was the most important part of it -- and once you start losing and realize you don't have to suffer or be miserable at all to do so this process actually can start being really fun!
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. I joined MFP just 101 days ago. I didn't take before pics because I honestly didn't believe I'd make progress so quickly. In 101 days I am down 24 pounds. Although I'd still like to lose another 20, I feel absolutely amazing.

I fell off the wagon here and there along the way. The most important thing you can do is pick yourself right back up whenever you fall and STAY CONSISTENT. Log EVERYTHING you put in your mouth. MFP is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. After 101 days of logging and consistently seeing progress, I couldn't imagine going back to my old ways.

Sure, we just made it through Thanksgiving and now the Christmas holidays are coming up. I've come to realize that there will ALWAYS be an excuse to eat in excess. If it's not the holidays then it's birthdays, anniversaries, potlucks, Super Bowl, etc..... If you really want to change your weight and your life then make it a priority to log and stay within your calorie goal. What's more important to you, Christmas cookies or adding years into your lifespan? Do you prefer a Christmas buffet or being able to fit into your skinny jeans? You can enjoy a Christmas fruitcake or a piece of birthday cake if it fits your calorie goal. If you over do it, go take an extra walk. No time for a walk? Then bank some extra calories your next meal. You can do this!
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I canceled my Weight Watchers this morning and downloaded MFP, again. The holidays are here and I know I won't be able to stay away from ALL the goodies. I want to lose weight, I have about 100 to lose. I'm realistic in knowing that it's not going to happen overnight. Losing it slowly is healthiest. My problem is that I shame myself EVERY SINGAL DAY, and it's exhausting. I picked up the phone and made an appt to deal with binge eating. The mental beat down everyday is old. Somewhere, someone out there knows what the Hell I'm talking about. I don't mind being 5'2", but it's not pretty when you weigh 235 lbs. Anything helpful, tips, tricks, or positive feedback would be helpful.

I've struggled with binge eating and stress eating since I was about 10. It's exhausting, I can tell you one thing you cannot shame yourself into losing 100 lbs. Its quite the opposite, you need to learn to love yourself and extend compassion to yourself for where you are right now. Even if you are heavy, you need to feel like as a person and human being you are okay! That doesn't mean you need to think you're great or even good right this moment, but at least okay and deserving of respect and forgiveness. It seems counter intuitive but when you like yourself you'll look after yourself and say well it's not very nice to myself to force feed candy bars down my throat and feel bloated and yucky. It's all about compromise and compassion, shaming and hating yourself for your weight is literally useless, contrary to what society tells us. Even if you dont look like what you want, your body is a beautiful machine that keeps you breathing and digesting and living. Love it for that.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I started walking. At first I could barely do it (1/8 of a mile 3 x a week!). Now I spend about 1 hour 40 minutes/ day walking my dogs on nature paths and hiking trails. That's my ME time, when I can gather my thoughts, let go of everything, not answer anyone's demands. It's wonderful.

And honestly, you have to build yourself up for what you CAN accomplish. I'm not sure how far I could walk today if I had to carry around a bag with the nearly 65 lbs I've lost! It takes a LOT of strength to be active when you're really overweight. Don't knock it. Celebrate your small achievements in changing your lifestyle. Celebrate YOU! Just.. don't do it with lots of cookies.