New to working out and I feel kind of alone :(

Options
Hey guys, I just went to the drs today and even though i had lost some weight, I know I really need to get healthy. Im actually really overweight and my last medication stopped working for me and I've lost most of the drive to workout. Its been about 2 months since ive last tried to work out and even then I really had no clue what I was doing or if it is even the right thing for me. I dont really have the support at home and I have no clue where a beginner to exercising should even start out. I need to lose a significant amount of weight and I think if I find the right workout for me, that I can totally make this happen!

Long story short, where should I start? :(

Replies

• dflocco25
    dflocco25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I started working out in June and have lost 40 lbs so far (25 lbs to go). I started with just 30 minutes per day on the elliptical machine or treadmill. After about 3 weeks I went up to an hour per day, and then I started on my current regiment after another 3 weeks. I only upped my exercise every few weeks when I felt like what I was doing was getting too easy. While you shouldn't struggle terrible, you should break a healthy sweat. When it feels easy or you're not sweating as much, that's when you know it's time to turn it up.

Here's what I'm doing now:
    Sunday- yoga, 60 min
    Monday- cardio (elliptical usually), 60 min
    Tuesday- cardio, 30 min & free weights, 30 mins
    Wednesday- cardio, 30 min & free weights, 30 mins
    Thursday- Zumba, 60 min
    Friday- REST!
    Saturday- ENJOY LIFE!

Overall, start small, build up your endurance, and mix it up so you look forward to the different challenges each day. It sucks at first, but you'll start feeling good and then look forward to gym time.

Xo Dani
  • syndismilez
    syndismilez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend and I'll keep you motivated! It is always a struggle, but SO worth the effort!!!
    syndismilez
  • Kurriana
    Kurriana Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    dflocco25 wrote: »
    I feel ya. I started working out in June and have lost 40 lbs so far (25 lbs to go). I started with just 30 minutes per day on the elliptical machine or treadmill. After about 3 weeks I went up to an hour per day, and then I started on my current regiment after another 3 weeks. I only upped my exercise every few weeks when I felt like what I was doing was getting too easy. While you shouldn't struggle terrible, you should break a healthy sweat. When it feels easy or you're not sweating as much, that's when you know it's time to turn it up.

Here's what I'm doing now:
    Sunday- yoga, 60 min
    Monday- cardio (elliptical usually), 60 min
    Tuesday- cardio, 30 min & free weights, 30 mins
    Wednesday- cardio, 30 min & free weights, 30 mins
    Thursday- Zumba, 60 min
    Friday- REST!
    Saturday- ENJOY LIFE!

Overall, start small, build up your endurance, and mix it up so you look forward to the different challenges each day. It sucks at first, but you'll start feeling good and then look forward to gym time.

Xo Dani

Ohhh I want to try zumba SO badly!!
  • sodapoppin28
    sodapoppin28 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The second poster has some great advice i too started off on the elliptical and treadmill machines but if you can also use the rowing machine a quick YouTube video will show you how to use it. If you are going to a gym don't be nervous to try out any machines that look interesting to you and definitely don't be afraid to ask for some help.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool swimming is great exercise, and it works your muscles and your heart.
  • johannaflrs
    johannaflrs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there !..I know it can be confusing on where to start but they important thing is that your ready !..resistance training along with cardio will give you maximal results find what you enjoy Zumba is super fun way to get cardio in...for resistance training you can start off with machines don't be scared or embarrassed to ask for help on how to use if your not to familiar.. once your comfortable you can then move to free weights..you got this !..if you ever have questions ask me I'm a personal trainer ..I'm more than happy to help :)
  • Kurriana
    Kurriana Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys :)