Delicate Topic - Whats the best thing for constipation

Options
Sorry for this but I'm 3 weeks into a low carb ABC diet and getting more and more "sluggish", tried more finer and juices but still getting little movement! lol

I have used occasional laxatives in the past but worry about stimulant laxatives

I could do with something that sorts me out then I can maintain things with more natural things

Any suggestions for a fairly quick fix? I feel so bloated!

I have had some prune juice today but nothing yet!

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a strong cup of coffee does it for me but if it doesn't, I haven't found anything else that will that doesn't involve laxatives.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but bananas or grapes? That's what my mum would tell me to have
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Try warming your prune juice.

Moving helps. Get a little more exercise and see if that helps.

Meat is very constipating. Maybe try other sources of protein. And make sure you're getting enough fat.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Miralax
    Magnesium
    A hot cup of coffee first thing every morning
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Since I only get constipated when my fiber dips down I find taking it back up to my usual level tends to resolve it in no time. Given you are doing low carb I'm not sure any of my remedies would work for you since all of them and quite high in carbs like dried fruits (especially dried figs and prunes), bran, oatmeal..etc. I find that I need a mix of both soluble (to pull moisture and bulk) and insoluble (to help things along) works best.

Are you eating enough fat? A low carb diet without enough fat will do that to you so increase your fat percentage.

Edit: I just googled the ABC diet plan and the name alone is very worrying. ABC stands for Ana Boot Camp and the days range between 500 calories and total fasting for 8 whole weeks. It's understandable why you have issues. Not enough bulk to move, not to mention this diet is very unhealthy and may lead to health issues, not to mention cannibalizing your muscles which will leave you looking skinny fat. I doubt that's your goal.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird but seems to work, put your feet up on a step/stool while sitting on the toilet.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water :)
  • JannyH2
    JannyH2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm staying well hydrated yes, water is always on hand for me!

If it has to be laxatives then so best then I need to think about what is best!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @JannyH2 is this the ABC diet you are doing?

http://dietchoices.com/diet-plans/ana-boot-camp-abc-diet/

Background
    The Ana Boot Camp (or ABC Diet, not to be confused with Robert S. Wieder's ABC Diet) is an internet diet meme passed around on forums devoted to pro ana (pro anorexia, a movement promoting anorexia as an alternative lifestyle rather than a disease).

What You Eat
    The Ana Boot Camp Diet is a simple 50-day schedule listing the number of calories that the dieter is advised to eat. Calorie levels range from zero to 500 calories (one day only lists 800 calories), in an apparently random pattern.

Dangers
    Ana Boot Camp supplies very few calories, only a fraction of the calories even than the Master Cleanse, which is considered by many to be a virtual fast. And the Ana Boot Camp is 50 days long, whereas most Master Cleansers don't continue for longer than 10 or 12 days. Thus the Ana Boot Camp diet is potentially extremely dangerous.

The Diet's Theory
    The diet is based on the concept of calorie shifting, a dieting theory born from the idea that when you reduce your food intake suddenly, your body shifts into "starvation mode," an evolutionary defense mechanism in which your body's metabolism becomes more efficient in order to cope with an expected shortage of food. By varying the number of calories each day you presumably trick the body into not realizing that it is being confronted with a shortage of food, thus preventing starvation mode.

Problems with Theory
    The concept of "starvation mode" as applied to dieting is a myth. Although there is a grain of truth underlying the idea, the degree of efficiency that your body can achieve during a weight loss diet does not materially affect your rate of weight loss.

And in the case of the Ana Boot Camp, it's preposterous to think that your body would interpret days of 400 or 500 calories as "feast days" that would counter days of 100 or 200 calories. Every day of the Ana Boot Camp diet is a fast day.

The Ana Boot Camp diet will cause you to lose weight not through any metabolic hacks, but rather through simple lack of food. And it will do so at the risk of the dangerous side effects of long-term fasting, including loss of heart muscle.
  • JannyH2
    JannyH2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @JannyH2 is this the ABC diet you are doing?

http://dietchoices.com/diet-plans/ana-boot-camp-abc-diet/

No not that (ANA) one the other with food combining of certain foods, most of which are low in calories and carbs
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    movicol is a god send - however its prescription only
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    A cup of coffee or black tea for caffeine and big bowl of oatmeal, then go for a walk.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    magnesium citrate
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Warm prune juice...gross, but usually effective in 4-6 hours. Coffee helps as well. There's this herbal tea - Smooth Move...VERY effective. OTC meds: stool softeners and laxatives (Colace and/or senna) for prevention, a dose of MOM in the evening before bed, or Miralax. To bulk up your stool..Metamucil (fiber) or simply add fiber to your diet.

Honestly, sweet potatoes seem to make me go!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    JannyH2 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

No not that (ANA) one the other with food combining of certain foods, most of which are low in calories and carbs

How many calories are you eating per day and how tall are you?
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Your stools will change while eating low carb. Depending on your macro ratio, you may find that they are a lot smaller than they used to be and less frequent. This does not nessecarily indicate a problem.

If you're concerned, you can supplement with magnesium or experiment with adding more fats to your diet. You can also choose foods with a high water content.

But, those things won't change much if you don't have much to get rid of. I eat low carb (sometimes very low carb) and the change in stools is taking some getting used to.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Firstly, increase these in your diet.

fat intake, fiber intake (both veggies and try metamucil?) , water intake.

Then, if it's still not working, add some coffee, laxative type teas, magnesium, or a laxative. I don't suggest you do this first simply because i know it can be easy to become dependent on these items to go. Better to see if you can fix the problem with your diet first.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I second the magnesium citrate. I would suggest getting the liquid version ( here in the states you purchase it at any pharmacy or supermarket...it usually comes in a glass bottle and resembles soda or seltzer water ) now, then going forward get the pills and take daily as a supplement to support regular bm. Again, that's if you're getting enough fat, fiber, and water in your diet. Also look into a probiotics.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am with the others that say what you're eating isn't right. Your body is trying to tell you something. You need more fiber. I started taking aloe vera (concentrated) a year ago. I take a tablespoon mornings, as soon as I get up and another just before bed. I have been "regular" ever since. It also makes my skin nice. However, I'm eating the mediterranean way--a little of everything, lots of fruits and veggies, so that makes a difference. Good luck, but is this how you want to pass the rest of your life?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Fruit on an empty stomach. I have orange juice and fruit every morning and in an hour, I have to go. My body is on a schedule now.