Weight gain from short course of prednisone?

Options
I'm coming off a foot injury and my doctor has prescribed a 6 day course of prednisone for my inflammation. I've also just been on MFP for 2 weeks with a loss. Yay!! Normally I never take prescribed steroids because I don't like them for various reasons I am a nurse practitioner and do have knowledge about them. However my foot still hurts and I'm hesitant to take them because of weight gain. Does anyone have experience with weight gain and short term prednisone use? I know it's water weight and will likely come off quickly but I hate to take it if it isn't necessary

Replies

• HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've always assumed the weight gain with steroids is associated with the long term use, not short term. I've seen it in some of our patients (I'm a nurse) but they've all been on a low dose long term. I've personally taken a few rounds of prednisone over the years without weight gain. I'll have to ask our pharmacist about this.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Why do you even go to the doctor if you will not take the medicine he prescribed to you? He does not do that for fun. Take your medicine and get healthy.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Medications can cause an increase in appetite, but only eating too much causes weight gain. Be conscientious and you'll do great!
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hey now...no criticism...an honest question was asked. Medications can have SERIOUS side effects, and prednisone is one of them. It treats inflammation...it's a corticoSTEROID! Here's a link to the side effects...not any I want to have...http://www.drugs.com/sfx/prednisone-side-effects.html

Some of us go to the doctor, hoping not to have to go on medication, and then reluctantly do so because of potential side effects.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I know it's not prednisone...but I was popping motrin like it was candy last week and my weight ballooned up 5 pounds. If you're in pain, take the meds. It's water weight, you'll lose it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Medications can cause an increase in appetite, but only eating too much causes weight gain. Be conscientious and you'll do great!

This is not precisely true. Some medications will cause weight gain because of water retention. In some cases that water retention is quite pronounced and very visible on a person beyond what shows up on the scale in terms of weight gain.

A more precise statement would be, "Medications can cause an increase in appetite or water retention, but only eating too much causes FAT gain."
  • roxanneanddavid
    roxanneanddavid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took it for a bad allergy a few years ago and ballooned out in two weeks. It was NOT water weight and I didnt over eat. It was as hard to lose as any other weight gain. I will never take it again~
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I took it for a week due to bronchitis last year and couldn't eat a thing and was constantly jittery and running around. I think I lost 5lbs!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have taken steroids long term (months) and short term (6 days).

I experienced the hungry horrors while on them long term.

Did not notice anything during the 6 days of 3 mg pills of prednisone. I was ready to be hungry and determined not to give in. That may have helped. Pills definitely helped my neck issue.
  • algrif37
    algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I started the pills today so we'll see how it goes! I go to this doctor because I do trust him he is a respected podiatrist. He is made me custom orthotics and give me a Cortisone injection in a walking boot so it's an issue that I'm working on long-term with him. But I am an educated medical professional and can make decisions on medications with my own health and long-term side effects in mind. hopefully this will help get the inflammation down and can get back to exercising soon. Thank you everyone!!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I took Prednisone for a bit more than a year, and gained about 100 lbs. No exaggeration. My autoimmune disorder didn't hurt and I felt GREAT! However, if it wasn't nailed down, I ate it. I'm not kidding, no food was safe. I've never eaten like that in my life. I'm off that now, and life is a lot better. Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've taken it twice, for 21 days each. The first time I gained 10Lbs The second time I was actively dieting. I gained 7Lbs. Not sure if it's water or what.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    Why do you even go to the doctor if you will not take the medicine he prescribed to you? He does not do that for fun. Take your medicine and get healthy.

Just because a doctor gives you a prescription, it doesn't mean that you need to take it. Steroids are (usually) in the same vein as pain killers. If you need the relief, then take them, if not, then don't sweat it.

Any way, OP, as long as you log correctly, and eat within your goals, you'll be fine. I don't like prednisone either, but I did take a course once (6 days). I didn't gain with it. It also didn't make me feel hungry, so YMMV.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've taken steroids twice in my life. One was to control a serious blood loss issue, and the second was a year for low cortisone. The first time I didn't notice any gains beyond a pound or two. The second time I gained 10+lbs in a year (I was eating too much, I know) and ended up with insulin resistance that is difficult to control.

Because I appear to have deeveloped IR from the steroids, I would advise people to think twice before taking them. Is the risk worth the benefits? I would avoid them unless it was, or close to, a life or death situation.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I took Prednisone for a bit more than a year, and gained about 100 lbs. No exaggeration. My autoimmune disorder didn't hurt and I felt GREAT! However, if it wasn't nailed down, I ate it. I'm not kidding, no food was safe. I've never eaten like that in my life. I'm off that now, and life is a lot better. Good luck!

I could have written this exact post. Except I was on high dose prednisone for over 2 years. It was a miracle drug with regards to pain, but hell in ever other way, including withdrawal from such a high dose for so long, as well as weight gain.

Prior to that, I'd been on short courses of prednisone and I wouldn't hesitate to take it as a short course again if needed. Don't forget, the inflammation in your foot can cause its own "damage" if it's severe enough, such as putting pressure on nerves and blood vessels, making you limp so you stress other joints, etc. You'll probably be better off healing more quickly and then losing any (non-water) weight you may have gained in the short term. Just hide the junk food before you start, if you can!
  • algrif37
    algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I've done everything else I can do for my foot. Hopefully this will do the trick and keep me from surgery. Because it's taken me two weeks in a walking splint to even be able to walk in a shoe. I love walking and traveling and can't be laid up forever!! I'm watching my calories like a hawk and keeping my fingers crossed. I have an autoimmune disorder as wel as low cortisol (adrenal burnout) so we shall see what happens. Thankfully it's only 6 days. I feel for you guys being on it long term!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I was put on 2 weeks of them 3 years ago exactly... weighed in at 213 at my doctor appointment one week later... Then I stuffed my face during the Holidays, went to another appointment 1 month later, and I had lost 8 pounds.

So I wouldn't sweat it too much (I pretty much started MFP 2 days before the second appointment but highly doubt I lost 8 pounds in 2 days, lol!).
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I just came off a short course for inflammation and no weight gain and didn't notice being hungrier. Of course, the inflammation was in my mouth and gums and I couldn't eat even if I wanted to so my experience is probably not much help.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I only retained water on Prednisone when I am above 50 mg a day. II start at 60 mg before weening. I left the hospital after a month and a bit while being on iv steroids then oral steroids, lots and lots of iv fluids and meds, tpn etc the same weight as I did when I was admitted which was 20 lbs underweight and did not gain any weight until the biologic I was on started working and I started absorbing nutrients. I have Crohn's so Prednisone is usually only prescribed during a flare so that could explain that but I hated Satan's tic tacs for the mental health issues they cause. #autoimmunediseasessuck
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Oh I am usually on Prednisone for 4-5 months at a time.