Favorite Packed Lunch?

Options
ucaminax
ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
I was just wondering what everyone liked to pack for lunch at work. It has to be something that is not going to make my breath stinky ;-) (no tuna fish, etc), and something that is fairly uncomplicated to make. I have been eating the Lean Cuisine Spa Classics for lunches, which are pretty good but still have a lot of sodium. I really love the butternut squash ravioli-it has lots of fiber and veggies and tastes great.

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'm not working often at the moment... but I have been typically eating salad for lunch and that is packable. Lettuce, tons of veggies, tuna/salmon/grilled chicken on top, and some lemon juice for dressing.

I also used to bring leftovers from dinner for lunch during the week... or sometimes cook up a lot of spaghetti (I love the Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta... it is like whole wheat nutrition-wise) and eat that with homemade sauce.

Or there were days I'd just snack all day... pack yogurt, string cheese, celery/peanut butter, fruit, etc.

The frozen dinners just never filled me up... I almost always ended up bringing some fruit or veggies from home to eat along with them.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    The healthy choice steamers are really good and filling. I also will bring two packets of oatmeal and then have a fruit cup or V8 for keeping from being hungry throughout the day. :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I find it easy to lunch leftovers from dinner the night before.

1/2 chicken breast, brown rice w/veggies mixed in the rice or cold veggies like carrots, cauli, broc, or celery on the side

apple slices/cheese, boiled eggs, crackers make a nice lunch

Veggie wrap, I bring the fixings and put it together at lunch

Fresh ground PB or other nut butter on pita or flat bread with 1/2 banana

I just mix it up a bit so I don't eat the same things all the time.

Basically I pair a protein, carb, healthy fat and I'm good to go as I do 5-6 small meals a day so I don't eat huge lunches.

I usually stay away from frozen or any type of processed meals for lunch, convenient sure but loaded with sodium!!:ohwell:
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I make a chicken salad that I really like.

Shredded or cubed chicken breast
    Chopped red apple
    cranberries
    walnuts
    Lite Mayo
    Lawry's garlic salt to taste

Mix it all together and put it on some toasted whole wheat bread and it's deelishus with a side of fruit or a low-cal yogurt. YUMMY!

Hope this helps!
  • smileydays
    smileydays Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sandwiches. I found one on here for a veggie sandwich (cucumbers, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, etc) with a cream cheese spread. I tried it and it was delish! I like to mix up the sandwiches with different spreads like red wine vinagrette, hummus, mustard or others. This really spices up a normal sandwich. I also love to have a cheese sandwich with veggies, like 1 oz. pepper jack with about a cup of veggies. Great to pack away and rather filling too. :]
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Got to know some nice recipes here! :) Thanks everyone
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I was working one of my faves was wholemeal bread with light philly cheese wafer thin ham and fresh basil leaves was yummy .
  • Norbert2010
    Options
    I have started preparing a couple of small wholewheat wraps (only 86 kc's in each one) a tablespoon of houmous or low fat cheese spread, quarter of a pepper sliced, 8 slices of cucumber, some rocket and basil leaves with ground black pepper on top.

Delicious and only about 250 calories for both wraps in total. Psycholigically I feel like I have eaten something substantial, I generally have 2-3 pieces of fruit and a low fat yoghurt afterwards.
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    when Im in a rush to work and want something healthy I usually just prepare some crudites.

Just cut up practically any raw veg you like into thick fingers and take along some hommous, cream cheese or sweet chilli sauce (or whatever you want for dipping) Its simple tasty, and fills you right up.

I usually use carrots, sugar snap peas, cucumber, bell pappers, spring onions, small florets of raw cauliflower, radishes. anything like that.
  • MissKaay
    MissKaay Posts: 25
    Options
    Thomas Bagel Thin- Plain or whole wheat (110 cal)
    1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter (95 cal)
    Small Apple (55 cal)
    String Cheese (80 cal)
    Eating right yogurt (60 cal)

Calories- 400

It's protein packed, filling and delish!
  • klmix08
    klmix08 Posts: 14
    Options
    I make a salad consisiting of: baby spinich, raw walnuts, raspberries, chicken and balsamic vinagerette. This is my favorite lunch. I always bring veggies with me too.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch to work everyday and its almost always a salad and a piece of fruit. I measure out 1 oz of cheese cubes and .6 oz of sunflower seeds for toppings and for dressing its usually 2 tablespoons of whatever I've made recently. The salad has been green and red cabbage and shredded carrots of late, but with my CSA veggie delivery coming once a week now, I'm starting to get incredible greens like arugula, spinach and romaine.

I prefer salads cuz I can eat them more slowly than a sandwich or a frozen, processed thing. They last longer and I find them more satisfying and healthy.

good luck and enjoy!
    JoJo
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great ideas, and keep them coming! I definitely have some ideas to help me branch out, now.
  • stephlewis
    stephlewis Posts: 59
    Options
    *bump*
  • ardaniels0417
    Options
    Lunch for me is pretty boring but it keeps me full and it tastes good. I bring 3 romaine lettuce leaves (whole). I fill them with chicken( pulled from a rotisserie), feta with basila nd tomato, and classico sun dried tomato pesto. It is awesome!!!! It really will keep you full. I also eat a granola bar and sometimes a yogurt. Other times I eat a salad of romaine with feta and chicken and kraft light asian toasted sesame dressing. Good luck!!!!
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Luckily, we have a small breakroom at work with a fridge, microwave, etc. So I usually buy bagels, light chive and onion cream cheese and thin sliced deli meat to leave at work and this is my go-to lunch if I didn't bring leftovers. I also usually have a couple of lean cuisine meals in the freezer as backup.

I like to pack up a week's worth of food and snacks to take to work on Monday that way I am already set for the week. I always have string cheese and nuts at work for snacks and sometimes I'll take a small bag of baby carrots or some type of veggie and individual ranch dressing cups.

I also have instant oatmeal in case I didn't have time to make breakfast before work.
  • Chris_B
    Chris_B Posts: 15
    Options
    Has anyone tried any of the salads from Wendy's, Subway or some other restaurant. I have been looking them up online and they seem fairly reasonable and inexpensive.
  • stephlewis
    stephlewis Posts: 59
    Options
    Has anyone tried any of the salads from Wendy's, Subway or some other restaurant. I have been looking them up online and they seem fairly reasonable and inexpensive.

Personally I think you can get more bang for your buck, and better calories, by making it yourself at home. You'll get more to last you longer, or for more lunches, and you can 'health-ify' them to fit your calorie needs.
    BUT I also don't think it's bad to be doing research, just in case you're "in those moments" and have to stop for something fast, that way you know what is kind of the lesser evil there =)
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

They will do in a pinch but sometimes I find that they have a "refrigerator" smell and taste to them. I will eat the ceasar salad at Wendy's with half the dressing but there isn't much nutrtional value in it.