Blender recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Please stop recommending the Vitamix. I cannot afford it.
    Sure thing.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I will be the voice of dissention here and say I really do NOT like the Ninja. It is as loud as an airplane taking off, the multi-blade spindle is overkill and hard to clean, the square pitcher bugs me (why corners in a pitcher?!) and the motor is already starting to smell "hot" when I use it (I've owned it less than 6 months).

To be fair, I use it many times per week for protein shakes that have ice in them. Still - with all the fawning hoopla surrounding the Ninja, I say it's only fair-to-middling.

I think I need to buy something vintage...?
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    If all you're looking for is a mini blender to make smoothies with ice...I bought one from Wal-Mart for like $15 for my office that works perfectly. I'll see if I can find it later.

I do use my blender for a lot of different things, but not as much since I bought my immersion blender. Mostly I have been making protein fluff lately.

I have been using a Hamilton Beach personal blender. The only caraf is a mix and go type. It is on sale at Walmart for $8

• E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Oh just saw that you bought a new one. Glad you got a deal and a double to go caraf
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Haha me neither!

I highly recommend the nutri bullet. I've used mine every single day since March and it still powers through everything I throw in, effortlessly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I ended up with a Ninja Pro. The model I bought is 1100 watts, 1 regular container and 2 "grab and go" containers so I can use it for the same things I used my Osterizer for as well as my protein fluff (haven't gotten into smoothies).

Did a price comparison and with new customer discounts and free shipping I got it for $78. Bed, Bath and Beyond had it for $95 after my 20% off and Amazon had it for $114 so I think I got the best price for a non-refurbished one.

There were lots of Ninja fans in the Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead thread in General. I looked at them at Walmart and couldn't decide on a model so for now am continuing to use my food processor to make smoothies.

Please keep us updated on how you like your Ninja.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    The one main thing I looked for was a 600w or higher motor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Are you sure? Maybe you are shopping in the wrong places?!? It seems by other responses they can afford it between $50-$100. I am only assuming people read your OP accurately and responded with what you can use. hehehe Seriously I am still looking for you but there is a re-used/gently used option out there(local smoothie stands at a farmer's market. . . .hint hint//also, restaurants turning over their equipment so maybe a wholesale provider of hoods/ranges/etc for commercial use may have an option available to you). I use a hand held immersion blender for lesser juices but not ice. Our Ninja meets most of your specs($40 Black Friday deal) except the blend and go aspect. Pull the blade, saran wrap the top reinforce with a rubber band and off you go. Best of luck, happy hunting.

You assumed wrong ;)

From my research earlier in the week, new lower end Vitamixs start in the $300s. I wouldn't know if Vitamixs are a good candidate for refurbishing.

• Christine_72
    Options
    yep, Definitely can't get a vitamix here for under $300
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I use my Vitamix every day. It was worth the investment! It actually makes seeds in my whole food breakfast smoothie smooth! And butternut squash soup is amazing from it. I used to make ice cream and frozen bar drinks, but, well, I've changed my way of eating. I made my own sesame tahini in it.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have a refurbished vitamix and it came with a 7 year warranty. I love it and use it quite often. It is worth the money
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Sounds like the Osterizer gave you good value, maybe get another from the same company?

That said -not that you asked about this, but I don't think you'll get another bunch of decades out of something under $50 these days. Almost every product in the range I wanted to spend had at least some reviewers saying the product burned out after a few years. Disposable stuff. I think the more expensive blenders might do better that way.

I agree. My first microwave lasted 25 years and I expect the current one to last 5 at the most. My Osterizer was used when it was given to me and I have had it for at least 35 years. I doubt if any of their current products will have that longevity since they are no longer made here. I would have considered them if they had exactly what I was looking for.

On a side note (I can derail this because it is my thread), I am always interested in local language. I find it especially interesting why we call things what we do. When I was growing up, every blender was called an Osterizer no matter the brand, and every garbage disposal was an Insinkerator. (Oster manufacturing and Insinkerator both were Racine, WI companies. InSinkErator still is). We also call drinking fountains "bubblers" because of the Kohler Company (another Wisconsin company) selling thousands of their "Kohler Sanitary Bubbling Drinking Fountain" throughout the state, especially for public parks.

Y'know...I've always wondered why the heck they're called bubblers in this state. That makes a lot of sense!

I have nothing of relevance to contribute here so I will see myself out.

~Lyssa